Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Hera and High Father started dating and continued dating since the Azzarello run.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Earith 1 as in the Silver and Bronze Ages.
    That was never officially accepted continuity....

There are WW/SM and WW/BM shippers in-universe who hound WW every time she uses one of her social media accounts.

A champion of truth like Wonder Woman would likely despise most social media sites. If she had any they would likely be heavily monitored by all the worlds governments.

Diana has a work email which is managed to by Etta Candy along with all her other socials. Diana herself only uses Messenger to chat with her friends in Man's World but she used it sparingly after multiple hacking attempts. She uses a secure Justice League chat application to communicate with all the Wonder Fam (with groups and as individuals). If she wants to communicate with the Amazons she either goes there personally or uses their own personal communication devices which are constantly updated given the multiple attempts to hack their magitech.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    That was never officially accepted continuity....
    I'm pretty sure it's said explicitly at different times including during the Mod era.
    I'm not completely sure what you mean by accepted continuity.

I'm pretty sure it's said explicitly at different times including during the Mod era.
    I'm not completely sure what you mean by accepted continuity.
    Silver Age ( and sometimes Bronze Age) continuity is pretty .... messy? Writers often just wrote stories for that month, whether it fit into established continuity, or contradicted previous continuity or not. Those stories are often disregarded as representing actual canon.

Crap like this still happens , sadly.

Silver Age ( and sometimes Bronze Age) continuity is pretty .... messy? Writers often just wrote stories for that month, whether it fit into established continuity, or contradicted previous continuity or not. Those stories are often disregarded as representing actual canon.

Crap like this still happens , sadly.
    The DC Wiki does say that Ares was the father of the Earth One and New Earth Hippolyta.

Hippolyta as the daughter of Ares was mentioned in John Byrne's run and also in Denny O'Neil's run. It's one of those things that is brought randomly, sometimes out of convenience but never really explored in depth but nobody ever tries to retcon or contradict it either.

It's another reason why Zeus as Diana's father is stupid. Because that means Hippolyta conceived Diana with her own grandfather. O_O And while that's not the craziest thing in Greek mythology, it's still weird.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Hippolyta as the daughter of Ares was mentioned in John Byrne's run and also in Denny O'Neil's run. It's one of those things that is brought randomly, sometimes out of convenience but never really explored in depth but nobody ever tries to retcon or contradict it either.
    It's sloppy editorial.

Post-Crisis, Perez made it pretty damn clear that the Amazons are absolutely not related to Ares. So for Byrne to reference it...he probably couldn't be arsed to look it up himself and no one corrected him.
    I imagine if Ares is or has been referred to as Hippolyta's father through the years, it's writers on automatic pilot and going by the original Greek myths rather than what's established about Wonder Woman's lore. Other writers follow along with whatever was previously established by other creators like Perez.

As far as I'm concerned, either Marston and/or Perez (or Historia now) are the basis for Amazons' origins. And Ares is definitely not Hippolyta's father there. The end.

I can't recall an instance of Ares, Hippolyta, or Diana making reference to having any shared familial ties between them in recent years. Closest I recall was one Amazon saying the Amazons were "daughters of War and Peace" in Rucka's run but that was pretty clearly metaphorical since Rucka (re)established the Amazons being reincarnations.

I think Ares suddenly being Hippolyta's father was just Bryne's tendency to want to put his own stamp on characters, or "fixing" things that weren't broken; see swapping out the Kapatelis family for the Sandsmarks, Hippolyta being retconned to being the Golden Age Wonder Woman. As far as I can remember in the remaining post-Crisis years, Jimenez, Rucka, Simone, etc made no reference to this in the times they wrote Ares or Hippolyta.

The DC Wiki does say that Ares was the father of the Earth One and New Earth Hippolyta.
    As mentioned, sloppy editors and lazy writing. And are we going by that thing on fandom? No, wouldn't use that as any reliable resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I can't recall an instance of Ares, Hippolyta, or Diana making reference to having any shared familial ties between them in recent years. Closest I recall was one Amazon saying the Amazons were "daughters of War and Peace" in Rucka's run but that was pretty clearly metaphorical since Rucka (re)established the Amazons being reincarnations.

I think Ares suddenly being Hippolyta's father was just Bryne's tendency to want to put his own stamp on characters, or "fixing" things that weren't broken; see swapping out the Kapatelis family for the Sandsmarks, Hippolyta being retconned to being the Golden Age Wonder Woman. As far as I can remember in the remaining post-Crisis years, Jimenez, Rucka, Simone, etc made no reference to this in the times they wrote Ares or Hippolyta.
    There are odd mentions of it in the Silver Age, but it's never been accepted canon in the long run. Again, lazy editorial control

There has been no mention of Ares being Hippolyta's father since New 52 onward.
    Of course, we've been told everything counts so who knows if it could ever be referenced. It's not something I am advocating. it's just part of the history.

There are odd mentions of it in the Silver Age, but it's never been accepted canon in the long run. Again, lazy editorial control
    well, given the way Hippolyta is a character from mythology.... maybe some writers just used that stuff as background?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    It's sloppy editorial.

Post-Crisis, Perez made it pretty damn clear that the Amazons are absolutely not related to Ares. So for Byrne to reference it...he probably couldn't be arsed to look it up himself and no one corrected him.
    I imagine if Ares is or has been referred to as Hippolyta's father through the years, it's writers on automatic pilot and going by the original Greek myths rather than what's established about Wonder Woman's lore. Other writers follow along with whatever was previously established by other creators like Perez.

As far as I'm concerned, either Marston and/or Perez (or Historia now) are the basis for Amazons' origins. And Ares is definitely not Hippolyta's father there. The end.

In Byrne's case it was the story arc where Diana ascended to the Goddess of Truth. I think it was meant to justify Diana's right to Godhood or something. Basically Ares knocked up a cavewoman at one point and Hippolyta was his daughter but she died as she did in the Perez run and was reborn as the Queen of the Amazons.