Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Dark crisis ends - spoilers

And so we come to the end of another Crisis and this one was particularly bad.

In true Crisis tradition we open with a splash page - A lazy one as in truth there aren't that many heroes or villain's featured. Its just the usual pointless thrashing about.

I was left more confused than anything else by the end. What was this story actually trying to achieve? Nothing we haven't seen a million times before.

Deathstroke is a bad ass. Dick Grayson has worked so hard to work past his Robin persona but still lives in Batman's shadow. Pharaoh was this years Alexander Luthor. All damage done can quickly be repaired by superheroes.

Dr Lights back to her unpleasant persona (She mentioned years ago that it was a side effect of drinking too many cans of a certain soda) maybe she's back on them ?

Black Adam does good but then spoils it

The Flash family run around a bit.

There's still no Justice League (no one cares)

If this is currently the best DC have got to offer then they should perhaps draw a line under comic book publication. It's painful to read. Unenjoyable.

Obviously only MY opinion, I'm sure many of you loved it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PablitoMc View Post

um, no; not quite.

Many of us did not.

The Dark Crisis conversations have been going on in this thread: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...76#post6305676

It's definitely not the best thing I've ever read but I loved it eniugh that I plan to reread from Death Metal, to Infinite Frontier, to Justice Incarnate to Dark Crisis along with the tie in to experience the storyline from a more detailed eye.

I'm fine with those that didn't like it but it was easily above average event for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    It's definitely not the best thing I've ever read but I loved it eniugh that I plan to reread from Death Metal, to Infinite Frontier, to Justice Incarnate to Dark Crisis along with the tie in to experience the storyline from a more detailed eye.

I'm fine with those that didn't like it but it was easily above average event for me.
    You....enjoyed DEATH METAL?? Fam, I never in a million years thought the League books could sink lower than the JL-by-way-of-the-OC by Johns/Lee or the Hitch League. But my goodness! Talk about sound and fury signifying NOTHING! What are pros for the Metals?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PablitoMc View Post
    And so we come to the end of another Crisis and this one was particularly bad.

In true Crisis tradition we open with a splash page - A lazy one as in truth there aren't that many heroes or villain's featured. Its just the usual pointless thrashing about.

I was left more confused than anything else by the end. What was this story actually trying to achieve? Nothing we haven't seen a million times before.

Deathstroke is a bad ass.

How is deathstroke a badass? He is pathetic loser, 80 danm year old and he still can take responsibility for his actions? I take it he will never grow out of this and is doomed to face defeat again and again. If you mean in combat, supercharged by Lazarus juices, or the great darkness and Grayson still beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    You....enjoyed DEATH METAL?? Fam, I never in a million years thought the League books could sink lower than the JL-by-way-of-the-OC by Johns/Lee or the Hitch League. But my goodness! Talk about sound and fury signifying NOTHING! What are pros for the Metals?
    I mean to be fair I enjoy easily 90% or more of what I read and I read a **** town. I collect singles weekly, usually about 20 a month. DC, Marvel, Boom, Dynamite, etc. I Also collect loads of trades, probably 4 to 6 a month. I definitely dont see myself as a critical person in general, I'm a positive guy and reading is one of main hobbies. I'm easily reading 20 to 30 hours a month if not way more. I work 55 hrs a week as a Commercial Supervisor and I train 20 hours a month at the gym.

So reading is a great way to take my mind off of things.

So long story short I'm reading as a way to relax and unwind.

Of course there are books that are average or that are a slog to read. But often if I'm struggle to get through a book I put it back on my shelf and wait for my mood to change and get back to it later. I dont usually force myself to read some Im not digging.

Metal was a bit on the average side for me. But Death Metal I did enjoy.

But maybe on my second read Ill feel differently about it. Its easily been over a year since I read it so specifically what I loved about it is hard to say, though as far as events go it was stylistically unique at the very least.

But it definitely helps to read all the lead into it. If you only read Death Metal and skip the companion books or lead in books then your not gonna get into it.

HiC
    Flash Forward
    Dark Knights Metal
    Justice League No Justice
    So Scott Snyders Justice League, specifically Doom War.
    Year of the Villain Hell Risen
    Death Metal and all the companion Death Metal books
    Generations Shattered #1 and Forged #1
    And then Infinite Frontier etc etc

Ultimately I don't think I'm nearly as critical as a lot of the readers here. I also use Goodreads a lot and find lot more positive reviews and comments compared to this forum.

I actually find the negativity bit of a bog down here since it often seems a lot of my favorite books and events are not liked here.

But ultimately I also recognize there is a lot of knowledgeable readers here and I do like reading there input even if I disagree with chunks of it.

What exactly made you hate Death Metal so much? I'm planning on rereading very soon. Just wanna organize my collection and reading order and then begin maybe over xmas holidays.
    Last edited by Menacer; 12-22-2022 at 11:51 PM.

Fantastic Member

I remember back in 2006 being disappointed with the ending of Infinite Crisis. But “dark crisis” makes Infinite Crisis look like a friggin masterpiece. And for all the grief people gave to Doomsday Clock the quality of both the storytelling and art was leagues above dark crisis and frankly the two METAL events as well.

Williamson should have stopped at Infinite Frontier.

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    I mean to be fair I enjoy easily 90% or more of what I read and I read a **** town. I collect singles weekly, usually about 20 a month. DC, Marvel, Boom, Dynamite, etc. I Also collect loads of trades, probably 4 to 6 a month. I definitely dont see myself as a critical person in general, I'm a positive guy and reading is one of main hobbies. I'm easily reading 20 to 30 hours a month if not way more. I work 55 hrs a week as a Commercial Supervisor and I train 20 hours a month at the gym.

So reading is a great way to take my mind off of things.

So long story short I'm reading as a way to relax and unwind.

Of course there are books that are average or that are a slog to read. But often if I'm struggle to get through a book I put it back on my shelf and wait for my mood to change and get back to it later. I dont usually force myself to read some Im not digging.

Metal was a bit on the average side for me. But Death Metal I did enjoy.

But maybe on my second read Ill feel differently about it. Its easily been over a year since I read it so specifically what I loved about it is hard to say, though as far as events go it was stylistically unique at the very least.

But it definitely helps to read all the lead into it. If you only read Death Metal and skip the companion books or lead in books then your not gonna get into it.

HiC
    Flash Forward
    Dark Knights Metal
    Justice League No Justice
    So Scott Snyders Justice League, specifically Doom War.
    Year of the Villain Hell Risen
    Death Metal and all the companion Death Metal books
    Generations Shattered #1 and Forged #1
    And then Infinite Frontier etc etc

Ultimately I don't think I'm nearly as critical as a lot of the readers here. I also use Goodreads a lot and find lot more positive reviews and comments compared to this forum.

I actually find the negativity bit of a bog down here since it often seems a lot of my favorite books and events are not liked here.

But ultimately I also recognize there is a lot of knowledgeable readers here and I do like reading there input even if I disagree with chunks of it.

What exactly made you hate Death Metal so much? I'm planning on rereading very soon. Just wanna organize my collection and reading order and then begin maybe over xmas holidays.
    Thanks for sharing this! I think your process and disposition is a lot more conducive to Joy and enjoyment!

Incredible Member

The ONLY thing I cared about is the role of the MARVEL FAMILY in all this. Well, slightly disappointed that Black Adam is still outshining CAPTAIN MARVEL. But at least Mary Marvel from Earth-5 helped as a member of the JLIncarnate. Shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I enjoyed Metal [especially the tie ins] but death Metal felt like Snyder attempt to out do himself. It felt too try hard and lost the bonkers fun novelty vibe of the original.

BANNED

I kind of liked a bit of Dark Crisis, I'm not high on what DC are doing at the moment, but their events are always less muddied than Marvels', and fun to read, I like that their heroes actually act the parts, unlike Marvels, who are always fighting each other in these events and being generally unlikeable

The only DC books I can't stand reading are most of the Bat-books, except for Nightwing, maybe my preference for Dick is informing my opinion of this event.

All of this to make Dr Light more powerful and make Slade more miserable...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    All of this to make Dr Light more powerful and make Slade more miserable...
    Slade deserves his misery and got off way too easy. Some hack writer is probably going to come along and say whoever pushed that button near the end was wrong.

Not sure how to feel about Dr.Light's power up. It was necessary in the context of the story, but felt so random.

What really hurt the ending was the expository dialogue about what the heroes were doing after the event was made by Michael Holt and not Dick Grayson. As nice as seeing Bruce giving Dick compliments, it meant very little as the heroes who were doing something afterwards didn't include him.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?