Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Tim Drake: Robin #4 Preview

Tim Drake: Robin #4 Preview
    Writer: Meghan Fitzmartin
    Artist: Riley Rossmo

Tim continues to look like a baby and Bernard continues to look effeminate.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Tim continues to look like a baby and Bernard continues to look effeminate.
    ......is he stealing Stephanie's trait of calling Tim "Boy Wonder".........

Also the whole "Superboy's biggest fan" thing is just baiting. And OOC. Like Tim and Kon have that whole "what up jerk" type of close friendship so there is no way Tom in his civilian life would present himself as a Superboy fan and in fact he'd be the opposite and say he's lame.
    Last edited by NOCTPHOENIX; 12-22-2022 at 02:56 AM.

Fantastic Member

Why did he refer to the Fake Dick as Fake Nightwing? I mean he was in the Robin costume, not the Nightwing costume. I know it's a strange detail to focus on, but it's a little odd.

As for Bernard, while I can't discount my personal bias, he remains feeling kind of bland, with most of his potentially interesting qualities being told to us... actually, when did Tim save Bernard? Since he told Tim that he and Robin had that in common.
    Last edited by ChangingStation; 12-22-2022 at 12:20 PM.

Wait, this dumpster fire still exists?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Why wouldn't it? Has DC ever ended an ongoing this early? Even if it truly doesn't sell well, they will at least let it get to 12 issues I think.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    Why wouldn't it? Has DC ever ended an ongoing this early? Even if it truly doesn't sell well, they will at least let it get to 12 issues I think.
    While they were not ended early-we have seen DC cut a run short.

Cyborg's last book was axed in the middle or a story by Wolfman and it's trade was axed.

Vixen's mini lost an issue.

Priest's Batman The Hill lost 4 issues and became a one shot.

Comixology is offering the first issue for 90 cents.

The book is averaging 4 stars in reviews.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    But not 3 issues after the start of the series would be really unusual, for that the sales had to either be abyssal or there would need to be a serious problem with the creative team that has nothing to do with the comic. Or maybe if there was some big line wide relaunch.

Sorry but with the art the book has I can't taken any reviewer serious that gives this book a high rating.

Mighty Member

Cyborg's last book was axed in the middle or a story by Wolfman and it's trade was axed.

Not sure how serious comixology reviews are given Batgirls is averaring 4-4.5 starts as well and so is Dark Crisis Young Justice.......

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Good grief that art is horrendous. I've said it before, but I try not to lay claim to an artist's work. It is subjective and definitely in the eye of the beholder. However, wow. If I didn't know that was supposed to be Tim, i would never have guessed it. And Bernard...I had to read the captions to know that wasn't a girl. I get it, Find your style, create a recognizable brand and build on that. However...I can't even find anything positive to say about this, which is hard for me. Fitzmartin's stories might be passable if we had an artist worth anything on the book, but as it is...it's just one bad trainwreck after another. There are some cool points...having his base be a boat in a harbor, that is kind of cool, but I can't bare to read anything about it.
    Do we know what the sales for the book are?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Good grief that art is horrendous. I've said it before, but I try not to lay claim to an artist's work. It is subjective and definitely in the eye of the beholder.
    Even if you completely ignore the quality, this art style simply doesn't belong into a main stream DC Superhero Comic.

Every DC single issue that's older than 3 to 4 months gets offered at a cut price.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Good grief that art is horrendous. I've said it before, but I try not to lay claim to an artist's work. It is subjective and definitely in the eye of the beholder. However, wow. If I didn't know that was supposed to be Tim, i would never have guessed it. And Bernard...I had to read the captions to know that wasn't a girl. I get it, Find your style, create a recognizable brand and build on that. However...I can't even find anything positive to say about this, which is hard for me. Fitzmartin's stories might be passable if we had an artist worth anything on the book, but as it is...it's just one bad trainwreck after another. There are some cool points...having his base be a boat in a harbor, that is kind of cool, but I can't bare to read anything about it.
    Do we know what the sales for the book are?
    Uhh, it's bad. Keeping the characters, especially the main character, recognizable should be the minimum. That in Rossmo's style Tim's side fade looks more like a buzzcut doesn't help.

Incredible Member

I like Rossmo's art. I've enjoyed it elsewhere. I thought his Batman/Shadow mini-series work was very enjoyable for the tone of the book. And his Martian Manhunter stuff last year also played to the story, although I dropped it pretty early on, just because the overall story didn't excite me.

Having said all that, this is really, really not working for me. His cartoony style seems to be playing against what he is trying to portray, and I sometimes find myself studying panels/pages, not because I am absorbing the work, but because I am having trouble figuring out what is going on.

I enjoyed John Timms Young Justice work, especially with Tim, and think he would work better here.

Ultimate Member

As much as I like Tim, I cannot support this art. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    I like Rossmo's art. I've enjoyed it elsewhere. I thought his Batman/Shadow mini-series work was very enjoyable for the tone of the book. And his Martian Manhunter stuff last year also played to the story, although I dropped it pretty early on, just because the overall story didn't excite me.

Having said all that, this is really, really not working for me. His cartoony style seems to be playing against what he is trying to portray, and I sometimes find myself studying panels/pages, not because I am absorbing the work, but because I am having trouble figuring out what is going on.

I enjoyed John Timms Young Justice work, especially with Tim, and think he would work better here.
    The art, from what I've seen, would fit a Lobo series, which is known for its "unique" art, but this does not work.