Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Tales from Earth-6: A Celebration of Stan Lee #1 Preview

Amazing Member

didn't hear about this until today. hyped! hoping for a Martian Manhunter appearance in one of the stories.

Not something I think anyone was expecting to come back like this.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Never thought DC would revisit this, but so cool they did for his 100th birthday!

I love far-off takes on the League so I'll check it out.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-22-2022 at 09:48 AM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I've ordered the Flash cover for this one.
    I find interesting that DC celebrate what would be Stan's 100th birthday with this special, but there's very little noise coming from the House of Mouse.
    Which is pretty shitty I think.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The dialogue is very...Stan Lee-ish.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    The dialogue is very...Stan Lee-ish.
    That is the idea.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Incredible Member

I honestly loved this idea. There were some cool spins and you could see in a few characters them trying to mimic certain Marvel characters. I think Aquaman, Batman, Green Lantern and Captain Marvel were the ones I liked the most. Then everything with Robin/Hawkman/Atom thing they tied and the crisis and Superman were just awful

Wait, there was no Gotham City in those stories; all the superheroes lived in Los Angeles like all the Marvel heroes lived in New York.

Astonishing Member

Am I the only one the thought the "new" villain was a little too on the nose. Less a "What if Stan Lee had created this DC character" and more "What would the Marvel pastiche of the character be". I mean using "Choker" as your "Joker" analogue?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Am I the only one the thought the "new" villain was a little too on the nose. Less a "What if Stan Lee had created this DC character" and more "What would the Marvel pastiche of the character be". I mean using "Choker" as your "Joker" analogue?
    In the Flash book there were Lady Zakara (Zatana) and Zorgul (Mongul). So, yes, I think it goes with the spirit of the books.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Ooooh this should be fun, have been looking forward to this.

Rather like these interesting interpretations of these characters so its great to see them come back and as a tribute to Lee, God rest his soul.

While Stan the Man’s dialogue was already quite outdated when the original series came out and the stories themselves weren’t that good, I thought there was some fun ideas. Connecting GL to the earth was a pretty great idea and something that other writers have done since with alternate versions of the character. I liked Wonder Woman’s redesign and connecting her to Mesoamerican mythology was pretty great.

The only one that was truly bad was Superman. Having him be a space cop from Krypton would have been interesting but the story beats were not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The only one that was truly bad was Superman. Having him be a space cop from Krypton would have been interesting but the story beats were not good.
    A matter of tastes I suppose. Personally I thought the Stan Lee' Superman version had an interesting angle as he was an individual with a huge inferiority complex, a sense of duty and less altruistic motives than make it different from the traditional man of steel. His Shazam also had this trait, but he was more romatically driven.