View Poll Results: Has Black Lightning's opportunity completely come and gone?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

27 33.75%
  • No

53 66.25%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    his show has raised his public visibility while being the most consistently acclaimed show relative to it's peers on the network. granted, with the CW it isn't an astounding feat but the point is, there is plenty raw material beyond how many arbitrarily "great" stories he has.
    But at least based on the ratings it is also the least watched of CW's DC shows at the moment.

My answer is Black Lighting is at place where Aquaman was before his movie. So no he hasn't missed his window he is position to prosper if the right opportunity comes along.

A-list in comic books and A-list in general media are two separate things. While there is definitely some crossover, I find A-listing in comics to be insignificant in general. The comic book landscape is tiny and due to its origins, would never allow Black Panther to be considered A-list, yet in the general media here we are. Same for Iron-Man. Only comic bookers care about on-page hierarchy.

Superman, Batman, Spider-Man. A-list on both accounts. Is it simply because their stories were the “bestest” or is it simply the nostalgia of it all that’s been burned into our minds since we were children? TV shows. Movies. Commercials. Constant branding. How many of us knew about these heroes before ever touching a comic book? I didn’t read a comic until adulthood but I already knew everything there was to know about those 3.

The world knows Aquaman now. When people see him in upcoming movies they’ll say “that’s the guy who plays Aquaman!” Black Lightning has the same opportunity. Jonathan Stewart too. His profile has risen due to his tv show. He’s brought up in articles that expose him even more. A film could do wonders culturally with outstanding super power visual effects no other black characters have had the opportunity to showcase thus far. (No, Storm hasn’t shown us anything)

At the end, no one’s going to care if his comic ran for 300 issues or if he had an all-time classic story. To the general public all that is irrelevant. I’ll take the cartoons, tv shows, films and merchandise that comes with it.

To be fair though, everyone already knew Aquaman waaaaay before the movie as "the guy that sucks" or "the guy that talks to fish". Even though the common portrayal of him was in a mocking tone, it was still persistent exposure for the character that cemented him in the minds of many, including the general audience. Black Lightning never had that notoriety on either end of the spectrum, positive or negative. Jeff still has a chance to succeed via movies though, it'll take genuine effort in writing/casting/marketing to at least give it a chance.

We are in a Golden Age of superhero adaptations on screen with even D-list characters becoming adapted and becoming fan favorites. So no, I don't think BL has missed much.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iconic View Post
    Superman, Batman, Spider-Man. A-list on both accounts. Is it simply because their stories were the “bestest” or is it simply the nostalgia of it all that’s been burned into our minds since we were children? TV shows. Movies. Commercials. Constant branding. How many of us knew about these heroes before ever touching a comic book? I didn’t read a comic until adulthood but I already knew everything there was to know about those 3.

The world knows Aquaman now. When people see him in upcoming movies they’ll say “that’s the guy who plays Aquaman!” Black Lightning has the same opportunity. Jonathan Stewart too. His profile has risen due to his tv show. He’s brought up in articles that expose him even more. A film could do wonders culturally with outstanding super power visual effects no other black characters have had the opportunity to showcase thus far. (No, Storm hasn’t shown us anything)

They were shoved down our throats in some way or some form that lets be BRUTALLY honest POC could never get done.

Static had a hit show and couldn't SNIFF toys. A show that only DIgimon had higher ratings than.
    Yet how many short lived tv shows had toys and merchandise? Especially in the 80s and 90s?
    But a 4 season show couldn't get it.
    Black Panther 90% of the stuff you saw was a first for a black hero. Black Panther boxers, gift wrap and so on.

At the end, no one’s going to care if his comic ran for 300 issues or if he had an all-time classic story. To the general public all that is irrelevant. I’ll take the cartoons, tv shows, films and merchandise that comes with it
    THIS.

Hal Jordan has more books than Miles Morales. Yet who has the hit film and OSCAR win? And his actor didn't became more famous playing someone else in two other movies.

What memorable story does BLADE have? NONE but he got 3 movies and 2 tv shows. How many does Hal or Barry have?

Folks can use those long runs to gate keep all they like but reality says otherwise.

Short lived books are finding audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    They were shoved down our throats in some way or some form that lets be BRUTALLY honest POC could never get done.
    I will back you up on this point Batman and Superman via BatmanVSuperman and Justice League stunk up the place and it was Cyborg movie that got canceled. But yet here we are they are making another Batman movie, Yes it is because Batman is popular but it is also because they are willing to fail with Batman. While Green Lantern hasn't sniffed another shot since it sucked in 2011. Lets not pretend they haven't been shoving certain characters regardless of how well they are doing. Which is why always point out Captain Marvel as a success story because they treated her just like A-list character and year later she has stable selling comic, 1 billion dollar movie, recognition from the general public. That is how characters need to be treated if you want them to work

Aquaman book got canceled, I will almost bet Aquaman gets a book before Katana, Vixen, Steel, Atom or Black Lighting. They are certain characters companies are invested in pushing them regardless of sales. Superman, Spiderman and Batman aren't just popular because people like them they are also popular because they get to show up a lot, Superman gets to show up suicide squad game or mediocre animated movie telling his origin story/early story once again. We have had the video game Infamous to show that it works, Does anyone not believe that Black Lightning game wouldn't be more fun than a game with Red hood, Nightwing, Batgirl and Damian who was no powers.

It is self fulling prophecy, You put great talent on Superman or Spiderman, At some point they get a great story and become popular, which then some fan likes and this fan goes on become a writer and want to write about their favorite character, writes a classic a story which makes the character popular again. It becomes a movie or show which becomes popular and ingrained into pop culture, which makes the company money. So they have the motivation to keep making products with that character and they want top talent on that book so it can sell. It is undeniable that things do need a level a popularity for success but some level of success also happens by level of quality they throw at the character.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What memorable story does BLADE have? NONE but he got 3 movies and 2 tv shows. How many does Hal or Barry have?
    His first Movie?

Btw. my argument is not that Black Lighting can't never be A List because he didn't had any great stories sofar, but that he has sofar never gotten even close to A-List because there nothing he was in sofar was that great or popular (especially in the comics, even here I the thread I can't remember anyone really liking his comics).

And I don't think you can really compare him with Aquaman. Yeah Aquaman was not that well known by the general audience, but he has way more source martial, and among that some stuff that is well regarded and makes for a cool Block Buster movie.

You can probaly make popular Black Lighting Movie, but it would require imo a bigger reimagining of the character (or way better writing) than in case of Aquaman. His usual setup as crimefighting Highschool rector is imo not exactly the setup that many people will find exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

And I don't think you can really compare him with Aquaman. Yeah Aquaman was not that well known by the general audience, but he has way more source martial, and among that some stuff that is well regarded and makes for a cool Block Buster movie.
    Of course you can compare him to Aquaman, Black Lighting is place where Aquaman was before his movie he is fringe known to the general audience just like Aquaman . It not like Black Lighting is say the Atom or Booster Gold who you have do a bunch of trouble of introducing a audience of why should like them. Black Lighting is in a tv show, Black Lighting is young justice,etc. He is same position as Aquaman people have general idea of the concept then you have to something with concept to attract them.

Is Spiderman as highschool student a interesting set up that people find exciting? Black Lighting set up is fine, we have gazillion Blackplotion films that tells us that his set up is fine.

Since someone will be curious about the set up

- Skilled person returns to their hometown to live a simple life do a simple job, Person learns that town/city needs to be clean up. Situation happens that force person to use their skills to clean the town.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 10-14-2020 at 12:48 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Btw. my argument is not that Black Lighting can't never be A List because he didn't had any great stories sofar, but that he has sofar never gotten even close to A-List because there nothing he was in sofar was that great or popular (especially in the comics, even here I the thread I can't remember anyone really liking his comics).
    I don't think people generally like Black Lightning stories, at least not in comics, but I suspect some fans of his like the idea of a black superhero. That is fine and legitimate, but we should also keep in mind that, for a lot of other people, it's going to take more than the superhero being black to get them on his side. The best way to do that is through good stories. People are nostalgic for Spidey because of his legendary stories that A LOT of people know and/or know of, like his origin, the alien costume, and when Green Goblin killed his girlfriend. People don't tend to get nostalgic for stuff that they don't like, so the stories must have struck a chord with enough people.

Yes, there is a possibility for Black Lightning (or any character) to become A-List, but the challenges he faces are that his stories aren't good, and because of that his fanbase is lacking, and because of that there isn't much demand for him. For him to become A-List, I think that's what he'll need to overcome, and again, good stories are where one would start with that.

I don’t think he missed the opportunity as the way he’s presented now is more in tune with “A list” DC characters. What I mean is that when Jeff first appeared a big part of his schtick was to be an outsider. He intentionally talked in a stereotypical way, wore an Afro wig, and had a very unconventional costume. He needed Black Lightning to be far different than his school teacher persona. So the character of Black Lightning rejecting the Justice League’s offer fit with the character he had created.

Now that he has his own tv show, regularly teams up with big name heroes, and doesn’t have the over the top 70s street gimmick, I think he has way more potential to reach A list status.

Though I think Static will always be more popular. Once he gets his own movie it could be difficult for Black Lightning to reach the upper echelon.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I don’t think he missed the opportunity as the way he’s presented now is more in tune with “A list” DC characters. What I mean is that when Jeff first appeared a big part of his schtick was to be an outsider. He intentionally talked in a stereotypical way, wore an Afro wig, and had a very unconventional costume. He needed Black Lightning to be far different than his school teacher persona. So the character of Black Lightning rejecting the Justice League’s offer fit with the character he had created.

Now that he has his own tv show, regularly teams up with big name heroes, and doesn’t have the over the top 70s street gimmick, I think he has way more potential to reach A list status.

Though I think Static will always be more popular. Once he gets his own movie it could be difficult for Black Lightning to reach the upper echelon.

Yeah I didn't take that into consideration actually. In the current landscape, I see Static and Black Adam as major roadblocks for Jeff to overcome since they're both Black characters (The Rock is Black and the character originates from the Egypt area, lots of mixing with Blacks going on there, this iteration will have more black mixed in him than the OG version lol) with electricity powers. Black Adam alone I think would be trouble for Jeff tbh, since he'll be the first Black S tier in the DCEU. Being played by the most electrifying man in entertainment AND going head to head with Superman on screen is a tough act to follow. On top of that, Static defined a generation of DC fans with a show that went like 4 seasons without a toy line, he remains a consistent fan favorite with lots of demand.