View Poll Results: Should Peter Parker had been a member of the original X-Men?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 5.56%
  • No

68 94.44%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Should Peter Parker had been a member of the original X-Men?

This is a non-Spider-man question. Do you feel that Peter would fit in well with the original X-Men(1963-1974) as a member? Could you see Charles Xavier taking Peter Parker under his wing and train him to further develop his Spider-Powers, of which his Spider-sense is a mutant ability?

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Peter doesn't really fit the requirements of an "X-Man", sure he has powers but Xavier designed his school specifically with Mutants in mind as they usually had no other place to go. Peter still had his Aunt May to look after and if I remember correctly the X-Men weren't as public as say the Fantastic Four were around that time, not until Magneto and his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants started kicking up a fuss about...whatever it was they were mad about. Mutant rights? I don't know, didn't really read X-Men. So...no, I don't think he should have been a member of the X-Men nor would he have fit in well with them, as he would always be the outsider in such a group.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Peter doesn't really fit the requirements of an "X-Man", sure he has powers but Xavier designed his school specifically with Mutants in mind as they usually had no other place to go. Peter still had his Aunt May to look after and if I remember correctly the X-Men weren't as public as say the Fantastic Four were around that time, not until Magneto and his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants started kicking up a fuss about...whatever it was they were mad about. Mutant rights? I don't know, didn't really read X-Men. So...no, I don't think he should have been a member of the X-Men nor would he have fit in well with them, as he would always be the outsider in such a group.
    Peter's spider-sense could fall into the mutant category. For all we know, it might had been there before the radioactive spider bite him. Parker and Hank McCoy would get along well based on their love for science. They would make for an interesting dynamic duo, along with Scott Summers, who would share one thing in common with Peter Parker: With power comes with great responsibility..

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Peter's spider-sense could fall into the mutant category. For all we know, it might had been there before the radioactive spider bite him. Parker and Hank McCoy would get along well based on their love for science. They would make for an interesting dynamic duo, along with Scott Summers, who would share one thing in common with Peter Parker: With power comes with great responsibility..
    Except there is no set precedent for that, his spider-sense didn't activate for the first time until someone (now retconned as having been Cosmic Ghost Rider) nearly ran him over with a car and that was after he had been bit.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

It would be fun for a What If? issue.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I prefer Peter as a solo hero honestly. I don't mind him joining a team for specific missions and didn't hate it when he was in the Avengers, but I feel like he should ultimately conclude he works best on his own.

I do like the idea of him being close to the original X-Men though, as even with a sliding timescale they would have been around the same age when they started out on the superhero scene. I like the idea of a bond between the younger generation at that time (the X-Men, the Torch, Spider-Man) as opposed to the characters who started out as adults like the rest of the FF and most of the Avengers.

What, why?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Spider-Man's story is based on him trying to navigate life on his own. Why would he need to be on the X-Men for that?
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Spider-Man's story is based on him trying to navigate life on his own. Why would he need to be on the X-Men for that?
    Because the original X-Men were trying to navigate life on their own as well. Parker would certainly be in good company if he formed a close bond with Professor Xavier as well. Peter was bulled for being different. This could also tie him with the original X-Men more than The Avengers...

I guess if you had a time machine you could go back and try to convince Stan and Steve that he should be a mutant, there might be some cool stories to tell if that were the case but you'd lose a lot of the things that make Spidey unique. He generally works more like a loner, I mean, sure, he has allies and he's served on teams but that isn't his default. This would change all of that.

If you succeeded with your time machine and managed to convince Stan & company, I'm curious as to whether he'd have all his powers due to mutations or whether some things (like his web shooters, for example) would remain technological. I'd also be curious to see the costume. I imagine it would be something like this:

Spider-Man of the X-Men.jpg

Anyway, if you're asking whether he should be changed today to be a mutant I would say no. It flips too much established continuity on it's head. If you're asking if it would have been cool if Stan and company went that way I'll say yeah, I guess it could have made for an interesting story but we'll never know.

Another question comes to mind: would you have this mutant Spider-Man replace one of the original 5 X-Men or add him as an additional original 6th member?
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 12-22-2022 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Typos: Zero Tolerance.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    Another question comes to mind: would you have this mutant Spider-Man replace one of the original 5 X-Men or add him as an additional original 6th member?
    Original 6th member...

I'd make Miles a mutant but not Peter. Miles being recruited to Cyclops's side during the Schism would've been epic.

I'd have Peter be like the Sixth Ranger from Power Rangers. They usually help out the main team but be on their own for one reason or another. It makes sense for Professor X to reach out to him but it's 50/50 whether or not he should join the school. It's something you could explore in an arc or two after Aunt May finds out.

I remember he was a substitute teacher during the Schism years so you could lean into that.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-22-2022 at 09:36 AM.

He's not a mutant so no.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

No, thanks.....

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Because the original X-Men were trying to navigate life on their own as well. Parker would certainly be in good company if he formed a close bond with Professor Xavier as well. Peter was bulled for being different. This could also tie him with the original X-Men more than The Avengers...
    Not sure how they were on their own if they were a team.
    "Cable was right!"