View Poll Results: Should Peter Parker had been a member of the original X-Men?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 5.56%
  • No

68 94.44%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

For the sake of the topic, I think it would have been a bad choice. Even if he had an X-Gene, I think it’s best that he was on his own. There are so many x-characters that are not in use and I think he would have been put on the proverbial back burner because so-and-such is has author stated cooler abilities. This also would have affected his cast of characters and he would have been stuck in the X-Books instead. If he did have mutant abilities, it would still have been better for him to be on his own and maybe make a guest appearance every so often with the offer to join the team on the table. If he did join the X-Men, I don’t think the character we have today would exist nor would a chunk of his supporting cast.
    “Fleeing through the labyrinths with the hordes of the living dead fast upon them;
    Once again they found themselves trapped in front of the abyss.”

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Nah. Peter being genetically destined from birth to have powers would not have been nearly as interesting.

HINT HINT AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2

It'd be cool to have him on the Uncanny Avengers or some kind of X team, like how Deadpool is on X-Force, but as a founding member as a mutant? Nope.

No he shouldn't had been.

In the history of online polls, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one open up at 25-0 like this one. Congratulations OP!
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'd make Miles a mutant but not Peter. Miles being recruited to Cyclops's side during the Schism would've been epic.

I'd have Peter be like the Sixth Ranger from Power Rangers. They usually help out the main team but be on their own for one reason or another. It makes sense for Professor X to reach out to him but it's 50/50 whether or not he should join the school. It's something you could explore in an arc or two after Aunt May finds out.

I remember he was a substitute teacher during the Schism years so you could lean into that.
    I'm thinking it should be more like Fantastic Four where he's acknowledged as a very good and close "friend of the family," but not formally or officially part of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Nah. Peter being genetically destined from birth to have powers would not have been nearly as interesting.

HINT HINT AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2

It'd be cool to have him on the Uncanny Avengers or some kind of X team, like how Deadpool is on X-Force, but as a founding member as a mutant? Nope.
    He was on Gerry Duggan's Uncanny Avengers but quit in the first issue because he found Deadpool's presence morally reprehensible.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

No takers? I almost voted "yes", just to go against the grain.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Spider-Man's story is based on him trying to navigate life on his own. Why would he need to be on the X-Men for that?
    exactly!

this is the prime mover for Peter and the biggest draw for Spidey fans.

sure he fights baddies but first and foremost we wanna see Pete navigate his life and all of the trials and tribulations that comes along with it.

if you introduce a group of misfit teens to his dynamic then it no longer becomes a story about Peter trying to make friends, trying to get and keep a girlfriend, trying to keep his aunt happy, trying to hold down a job, or trying to finish his school assignment it becomes a story about Pete trying to date Jean, trying to impress Logan, trying to keep Xavier happy, and trying to stay alive against bigots and killer robots - how is this any different than any other X-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    exactly!

this is the prime mover for Peter and the biggest draw for Spidey fans.

sure he fights baddies but first and foremost we wanna see Pete navigate his life and all of the trials and tribulations that comes along with it.

if you introduce a group of misfit teens to his dynamic then it no longer becomes a story about Peter trying to make friends, trying to get and keep a girlfriend, trying to keep his aunt happy, trying to hold down a job, or trying to finish his school assignment it becomes a story about Pete trying to date Jean, trying to impress Logan, trying to keep Xavier happy, and trying to stay alive against bigots and killer robots - how is this any different than any other X-Man?
    And he already has the killer robots (and occasional cyborgs) down thanks to the Smythes and their Spider-Slayers. Hell, I'm of the general viewpoint that Alistair should have upgraded with Sentinel tech or had the Sentinels upgraded with Slayer tech as an excuse for a team-up between Spider-Man and the X-Men.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And he already has the killer robots (and occasional cyborgs) down thanks to the Smythes and their Spider-Slayers. Hell, I'm of the general viewpoint that Alistair should have upgraded with Sentinel tech or had the Sentinels upgraded with Slayer tech as an excuse for a team-up between Spider-Man and the X-Men.
    Not to mention clones galore!

Sinister has nothing on Jackal

Anyone else remember that April Fools joke Marvel did years ago? They announced a mini called Spider-Man: X Marks the Spider where it would be revealed that Peter was a mutant all along and the spider bite just jump started his mutation. There were costume designs and everything. I think it was gonna be by Jimmy Palmiotti. Tuned out to be an April Fools joke and the backlash kept them from doing something like that again…

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Not to mention clones galore!

Sinister has nothing on Jackal
    And Jackal even raided Sinister's labs for his own cloning/genetic engineering projects, so Sinister repaid him by cloning Ben Reilly multiple times and having the clones all dressed up in the original Scarlet Spider outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    Anyone else remember that April Fools joke Marvel did years ago? They announced a mini called Spider-Man: X Marks the Spider where it would be revealed that Peter was a mutant all along and the spider bite just jump started his mutation. There were costume designs and everything. I think it was gonna be by Jimmy Palmiotti. Tuned out to be an April Fools joke and the backlash kept them from doing something like that again…
    Heh, wow.

I was much more interested in what Cable had in mind when he was actively recruiting Miles Morales back when Bendis was still on that book. The plot thread got dropped as soon as Bendis left unfortunately, but Miles on an X-team led by Nathan Summers could’ve been cool AF.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I was much more interested in what Cable had in mind when he was actively recruiting Miles Morales back when Bendis was still on that book. The plot thread got dropped as soon as Bendis left unfortunately, but Miles on an X-team led by Nathan Summers could’ve been cool AF.
    Indeed, that would have been interesting. I was also looking forward to the idea of Cable founding a better version of the then-recently disbanded S.H.I.E.L.D. with recruits like Miles Morales/Spider-Man, which to me seemed like he was building something more adaptable to the challenges of the future --- fairly fitting, considering he came from the future. (Well, a future now, but still.)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    He's not a mutant so no.
    The X-Men's first recruit after the O5 wasn't a mutant either. But he didn't fit with them though.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    The X-Men's first recruit after the O5 wasn't a mutant either. But he didn't fit with them though.
    You mean Mimic?