Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Bucky Barnes: The Winter Soldier, #1

This October, James Buchanan Barnes steps into his new role as intergalactic protector in BUCKY BARNES: THE WINTER SOLDIER #1, the out-of-this-world series from rising star creators Ales Kot & Marco Rudy. Following the shocking finale of Original Sin, what has the Winter Soldier more driven than ever before?

Be there when the master assassin takes on his new role as the "man on the wall," protecting the Earth from extraterrestrial and extra-dimensional threats by any means necessary. Inherited from his predecessor Nick Fury, Bucky will go to any lengths to accomplish his new mission. From the depths of Limbo to the far reaches of space to the hallowed halls of Asgard - no challenge is too great for the Winter Soldier. But he is not alone in his quest - former S.H.I.E.L.D. director Daisy Johnson a.k.a. Quake is along for the ride, and she brings her own set of skills and expertise to Bucky's new shadow war.

He's toppled dictators and foiled terrorist plots, but how can one man measure up to aliens, demons, monsters and gods? Clearly they've never met the Winter Soldier! A new mission begins this October, and the Winter Soldier brings his years of battle-hardened experience to the Marvel Universe's grandest stage!

Don't miss one moment of the pulse-pounding spy espionage action when Kot & Rudy go intergalactic and explore the man beneath the mask in BUCKY BARNES: THE WINTER SOLDIER #1 - hitting comic shops and digital devices this October!

Full article here.

Amazing Member

DAT ART!

Will give it a shot. Love Marco Rudy's art and surprised to see $2.99 tag. I thought it was a dollar higher.

BANNED

i'm pulling this, no questions asked.

Looks phenomenal! Didn't know Daisy Johnson was also going to be part of this. Even more psyched about this now. October can't come fast enough.

love stylized art but this is a bit much for me

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by heliophoenix View Post
    DAT ART!

Will give it a shot. Love Marco Rudy's art and surprised to see $2.99 tag. I thought it was a dollar higher.
    Cover says 3.99, CBR has it listed wrong.

Looking forward to this, and the art looks awesome.

Did anyone else notice that ship off to the side on the last page?

Marco Rudy must be a Cowboy Bebop fan, which makes me like him even more.

This has one of my least favorite covers of all time.

While the interior art is very stylized and some people like that, I find it an extremely tough sell to the average comic reader. Moreover, I think it was a missed opportunity not to title the series something that has anything to do with his new mandate. What he does now has nothing to do with being the winter soldier. He is the man on the wall, now. Why they decided to add his full, cringe-worthy, time-displaced name, Bucky Barnes, in the title is another mistake.

The status quo that was given to this character at the end of Original Sin is interesting, but the way this series has been packaged takes zero advantage of the new status quo. Everything about it, to me, screams "WALK AWAY!"
    Last edited by randomengine; 09-04-2014 at 12:56 PM.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

Spectacular Member

It would be nice if they actually showed some art of the inside of the book rather then what looks like covers and pin ups.

Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    It would be nice if they actually showed some art of the inside of the book rather then what looks like covers and pin ups.
    Yeah...see...that abstract art....IS the interior art.
    Pull List
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor, Wolverine, Uncanny X-Men
    Justice League, Action Comics, Superman, Detective Comics, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tron View Post
    love stylized art but this is a bit much for me
    Exactly how I feel about the art
    We need better comics

I wish Rudy had been given a Dr Strange book instead. I think his art is much more suited to it as seen in the New Avengers annual.

Amazing Member

Yeah, just noticed it, thanks.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
    Cover says 3.99, CBR has it listed wrong.
    Yeah, just noticed it. Thanks.