Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    How does Bucky do this? Already he is captured in an alien terrain, so what is he doing there, and how did he get into that situation so fast? Nick Fury had to ground break the landscape straight after McCord was killed, so how did fury do it? Is there a user manual that Bucky can look up? Or does he just wait till a space ship gets near the Earth and jumps on board and sakes what they are doing here?
    Knowing Bucky, getting caught is part of the plan.

While the interior art is very stylized and some people like that, I find it an extremely tough sell to the average comic reader. Moreover, I think it was a missed opportunity not to title the series something that has anything to do with his new mandate. What he does now has nothing to do with being the winter soldier. He is the man on the wall, now. Why they decided to add his full, cringe-worthy, time-displaced name, Bucky Barnes, in the title is another mistake.
    I have to disagree. I don't think the title of Winter Soldier should be tethered at all. When I think Winter Soldier, I think greatest assassin in history, and what better way to emphasize that than to portray it on a grander scale? His work as the Winter Soldier went down in history as some of the best feats never acknowledged. Seems like his man on the wall tenure will be an extension of that on a cosmic scale. I think it's a great way to expand his legacy.

As for "Bucky Barnes: Winter Soldier", I think they were going for a "James Bond: 007" kind of vibe when they thought of that title. Cringe worthy is a bit harsh lol
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 09-05-2014 at 05:40 AM.

BANNED

I'm surprised no one recognizes the aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Of Orphans View Post

I have to disagree. I don't think the title of Winter Soldier should be tethered at all. When I think Winter Soldier, I think greatest assassin in history, and what better way to emphasize that than to portray it on a grander scale? His work as the Winter Soldier went down in history as some of the best feats never acknowledged. Seems like his man on the wall tenure will be an extension of that on a cosmic scale. I think it's a great way to expand his legacy.

As for "Bucky Barnes: Winter Soldier", I think they were going for a "James Bond: 007" kind of vibe when they thought of that title. Cringe worthy is a bit harsh lol
    That should be a quote from randomengine.

Knowing that Steve Rogers was against Nick Fury being the Man on the Wall, what would Rogers feel about Bucky being that person? Bucky and Cap were partners during the War. But after the war, Cap went the way of the hero, and Bucky went the way of the assassin. What defines the difference in characters between two people who fought in the same side, and now Cap would despise what Bucky has become after Cap tried so hard to get Bucky into the Hero community? Not only has Cap been disrespected by the Illuminati when they brain washed him, but now Bucky, the person above even the Illuminati, has disrespected Cap. At least 7 or 8 other people are aware that another Man on the Wall could be out there, especially when Antman pointed out to the rest of the Panthers Fury crew that someone is missing, on the flight back to Earth from the Moon. And they all knew that someone was Bucky.

Knowing that Steve Rogers was against Nick Fury being the Man on the Wall, what would Rogers feel about Bucky being that person? Bucky and Cap were partners during the War. But after the war, Cap went the way of the hero, and Bucky went the way of the assassin. What defines the difference in characters between two people who fought in the same side, and now Cap would despise what Bucky has become after Cap tried so hard to get Bucky into the Hero community? Not only has Cap been disrespected by the Illuminati when they brain washed him, but now Bucky, the person above even the Illuminati, has disrespected Cap. At least 7 or 8 other people are aware that another Man on the Wall could be out there, especially when Antman pointed out to the rest of the Panthers Fury crew that someone is missing, on the flight back to Earth from the Moon. And they all knew that someone was Bucky.
    I don't think Cap had a problem with Fury's role as the Man on the Wall actually. Hasn't he always been the Man on the Wall really? It was the whole Watcher situation that had him wanting answers.

As for Bucky, Steve's always known him to be the way he is, even going so far as to state that Bucky is the one out of the two that could do things he can't in regards to killing. I think he would respect what he's doing, though I doubt he'd like the fact he's keeping it secret. This of course, is assuming he doesn't tell Steve what he's doing.

As for Panther's crew, there's no way to prove Bucky took over Fury's role. He had teleportation gear and is friends with the Avengers, so they'd likely assume he hitched a ride with them. I'm sure they're tired of this whole situation and could care less at this point.
    Last edited by Of Atlantis; 09-08-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Isn't there already an ongoing Winter Soldier?

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by SocializingMogo View Post
    Isn't there already an ongoing Winter Soldier?
    The ongoing had a series finale and The Bitter March was only a 5 issue mini

I don't think Cap had a problem with Fury's role as the Man on the Wall actually. Hasn't he always been the Man on the Wall really? It was the whole Watcher situation that had him wanting answers.

As for Bucky, Steve's always known him to be the way he is, even going so far as to state that Bucky is the one out of the two that could do things he can't in regards to killing. I think he would respect what he's doing, though I doubt he'd like the fact he's keeping it secret. This of course, is assuming he doesn't tell Steve what he's doing.

As for Panther's crew, there's no way to prove Bucky took over Fury's role. He had teleportation gear and is friends with the Avengers, so they'd likely assume he hitched a ride with them. I'm sure they're tired of this whole situation and could care less at this point.
    It's interesting you should say Steve Rogers would respect Fury and Bucky for murdering monsters and aliens before they make landfall on Earth, because I thought Cap had an aversion to murdering people before they crashed into Earth, and that's why he is going to hunt the Illuminati. But there is a difference between the Incursion Murders, and the murder of aggressors, I will give you that.

I don't know whether Bucky will have told Steve Rogers about his role as Man on the Wall though.

Spoilers about Original Sin

spoilers:
    Fury only mentioned that job to his Black Panther squad and no one else, even Steve, because Cap was always wondering throughout Original Sin what Fury was up to. As far as Cap was concerned, Rogers was only aware of Furys implication in the Watcher murder, and unless any of the Panther crew volunteer that information to Cap, it will remain secret. Fury did take a risk in revealing the Unseen to the Panther crew, though, so who knows where that information will go from here. You have to presume some people will be looking for signs that this activity is still going on. Certainly Bucky could do what Fury did, and have two jobs. One with the New Invaders, and one on weekends with the Unseen.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by jackolover; 09-08-2014 at 04:34 PM.

It's interesting you should say Steve Rogers would respect Fury and Bucky for murdering monsters and aliens before they make landfall on Earth, because I thought Cap had an aversion to murdering people before they crashed into Earth, and that's why he is going to hunt the Illuminati. But there is a difference between the Incursion Murders, and the murder of aggressors, I will give you that.
    Well, yeah. Even during WW2, Bucky would go off on his own missions. Sabotage, assassinations, recon etc. In this case, Bucky's job isn't much different, just graduated to a cosmic level. And yeah, like you said, the Illuminati's situation is much different and brings up a host of moral complications (Still wouldn't stop certain people from calling Steve a hypocrite though)

Also, has it been stated where Bucky will be getting his intel from? I don't think we know yet if he's still working with Fury or not. I've only heard that he's working with Daisy Johnson so far.

Well, yeah. Even during WW2, Bucky would go off on his own missions. Sabotage, assassinations, recon etc. In this case, Bucky's job isn't much different, just graduated to a cosmic level. And yeah, like you said, the Illuminati's situation is much different and brings up a host of moral complications (Still wouldn't stop certain people from calling Steve a hypocrite though)

Also, has it been stated where Bucky will be getting his intel from? I don't think we know yet if he's still working with Fury or not. I've only heard that he's working with Daisy Johnson so far.
    There was that one time, after they resigned from the Secret Avengers, that Bucky, Quake and Mockingbird, (with Furys last Infinity Formula in her blood), met at a cafe', so I wouldn't be surprised if those 3 become a team in this, especially since Quake seems to be permanently out of SHIELD now. It wouldn't surprise me that the Secret Warriors don't make an appearance in Buckys book too. But the intel? Fury had a host of resources ranging from all the different departments attached to SHIELD, ARMOR, TIME, SWORD, so if there are back doors to these organisations that Fury left open, then Bucky could get his intel that way. But we have to see what Furys new role is in all this yet.

There was that one time, after they resigned from the Secret Avengers, that Bucky, Quake and Mockingbird, (with Furys last Infinity Formula in her blood), met at a cafe', so I wouldn't be surprised if those 3 become a team in this, especially since Quake seems to be permanently out of SHIELD now. It wouldn't surprise me that the Secret Warriors don't make an appearance in Buckys book too. But the intel? Fury had a host of resources ranging from all the different departments attached to SHIELD, ARMOR, TIME, SWORD, so if there are back doors to these organisations that Fury left open, then Bucky could get his intel that way. But we have to see what Furys new role is in all this yet.
    The less supporting characters, the better I say. Hope it remains Bucky and Quake, maybe Fury. I don't see Mockingbird getting involved though. To me, having anyone with a direct connection to SHIELD is a huge risk. I wonder if they'll touch on the fact they injected Bucky with the Infinity Formula as well. Seeing how Fury is the new Watcher, all those sources wouldn't matter as long he's providing the intel, providing he does.

The less supporting characters, the better I say. Hope it remains Bucky and Quake, maybe Fury. I don't see Mockingbird getting involved though. To me, having anyone with a direct connection to SHIELD is a huge risk. I wonder if they'll touch on the fact they injected Bucky with the Infinity Formula as well. Seeing how Fury is the new Watcher, all those sources wouldn't matter as long he's providing the intel, providing he does.
    You may be right about the less supporting characters.

And it does bring into focus the resources Fury has at his disposal, depending on who set Fury up on the moon. If it was the Watcher, then we have to wonder what the Watcher gives to Fury. He seems to have some kind of power sparking in his body, but if that is making Fury immortal, it may also mean he has the Watchers power?

You may be right about the less supporting characters.

And it does bring into focus the resources Fury has at his disposal, depending on who set Fury up on the moon. If it was the Watcher, then we have to wonder what the Watcher gives to Fury. He seems to have some kind of power sparking in his body, but if that is making Fury immortal, it may also mean he has the Watchers power?
    Would it necessarily? All he has is the eye. The extent of his abilities remain to be seen I suppose.

Would it necessarily? All he has is the eye. The extent of his abilities remain to be seen I suppose.
    Yes, I suppose we will have to see the extent of Furys condition now.

BANNED

bucky being cosmic is dumb to me