Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Makes sense with Duggan writing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    So...does that mean that Emma is going to get married to Tony like Galactus said she would in History of the Marvel Universe?
    Well, he's had a Superhero girlfriend for the past two volumes of his comic.

First a brunette (Wasp), then a redhead (Hellcat), I guess he had to get a blonde next .

Frost International is basically a White Knight company here. Marvel must think they're so clever for that..

Two characters I don't like are probably going to be getting together despite only interacting a handful of times, and many of those interactions were awful.

I thought they were trying to make Tony Stark more relatable and force him to confront and deal with his privilege. Emma is kind of the opposite of that. I've joked before that Emma Frost and Xavier are White Privilege incarnate. I always thought that if they were ever in the same room as Tony Stark their collective White Privilege would be in danger of going thermonuclear and spontaneously forming a country club around them.

In issue 4 of Invincible Iron Man, it seems that Tony is looking for vengeance against Feilong, so it’s honestly a safe bet to assume that issue 5 sees him reaching out to Emma to help him against one of the reasons his life is now in ruins.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I don't really buy that those two would get along.

Frost is very old money, right down to her speech patterns. She can probably trace her ancestors to the Mayflower.

Stark is very new money. His grandfather Isaac Stark worked in wheat fields and his mother is Italian.

I tend to think she would view Stark as only a few generations away from being poor white trash.
    As Jbenito stated Frost and Stark do have some history and one point did get along well enough to briefly be involved with one another. However this fling has really only been mentioned once, during civil war so we cant say for sure how well they got along or why things ended between the two.

I for one would very much love if Duggan expanded on their history together, we can assume that they met in the HFC and probably hit it off but, and since then we’ve really seen them be less than amicable towards one another, last few times they’ve interacted Emma shot down any advances made towards her by him (Trial of Magneto) . I personally wouldn’t mind to get more insight into their relationship with one another.

Last edited by Diammandis; 12-23-2022 at 12:33 AM.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

I know they have a history together, I've just never bought it. It feels like the writers just did a Storm/T'Challa thing and went, "Stark's rich, Frost is rich, dur, of course they'd hang" without taking into account their overall nature. Frost is an old money aristocrat who can probably trace her ancestry back to the Mayflower. Stark is new money and just a few generations back his ancestor was farming wheat for chrissakes. She'd be disgusted at how he's just a few generations removed from poor white trash. They wouldn't hang.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I know they have a history together, I've just never bought it. It feels like the writers just did a Storm/T'Challa thing and went, "Stark's rich, Frost is rich, dur, of course they'd hang" without taking into account their overall nature. Frost is an old money aristocrat who can probably trace her ancestry back to the Mayflower. Stark is new money and just a few generations back his ancestor was farming wheat for chrissakes. She'd be disgusted at how he's just a few generations removed from poor white trash. They wouldn't hang.
    I think Emma cares less about how Stark received his money and is more disgusted by his arrogance and cocky attitude. I think their personalities overlap which cause for some friction among them.
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Astonishing Member TheDeadSpace's Avatar

While I am a big fan of both characters, I'm quite apprehensive about how things might actually turn out. Duggan really likes Emma, so I'm slightly afraid Iron Man might end up coming off as the guest of his own comic. The Gala interactions haven't given the best impressions and I have yet to have a decent impression of Duggan's Stark as of yet. So I'm slightly worried to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    In issue 4 of Invincible Iron Man, it seems that Tony is looking for vengeance against Feilong, so it’s honestly a safe bet to assume that issue 5 sees him reaching out to Emma to help him against one of the reasons his life is now in ruins.

As Jbenito stated Frost and Stark do have some history and one point did get along well enough to briefly be involved with one another. However this fling has really only been mentioned once, during civil war so we cant say for sure how well they got along or why things ended between the two.

I for one would very much love if Duggan expanded on their history together, we can assume that they met in the HFC and probably hit it off but, and since then we’ve really seen them be less than amicable towards one another, last few times they’ve interacted Emma shot down any advances made towards her by him (Trial of Magneto) . I personally wouldn’t mind to get more insight into their relationship with one another.
    They got along rather well around the Utopia era where they had dinner together. They didn't really interact post AvX, so her hostility seems slightly out of character. That being said, I get the feeling her hostility is a result of the X-office not liking the idea of Emma marrying Stark rather than anything else.
    Last edited by TheDeadSpace; 12-23-2022 at 01:54 AM.
    "This is starting to sound like a bad comic book plot"
    -Spider-man

“Evil is evil...lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same."
    -Geralt of Rivia

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    She's probably going to bail out his company. I hope she uses the rocket engines in her aeronauts business. I asked Fraction for a Ghost story vs all the billionaires circa 2010 he said no one would read a story about corporates crying around a table
    I believe his company is going to get bought out by a racist that'll use his tech to make Sentinels.

It's quite a shock to mutant exceptionalism to think that not even Forge, Prodigy, Taki or any of the other mutant technopaths, etc, can't figure out something a baseline human like Tony can.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    It's quite a shock to mutant exceptionalism to think that not even Forge, Prodigy, Taki or any of the other mutant technopaths, etc, can't figure out something a baseline human like Tony can.
    That's hardly new. Doom's just human and he's Marvel's premiere villain. I think the implication is that some "humans" are freaks, just not in an x-gene way. That they are mutations, just not x-gene mutations. So they don't register on scans as mutants, but if you look at their feats, they are intelligence freaks to an insane degree.

Love to see "Emma Frost" trending on the twitter for the last few hours. It's wild but it looks like I'll be buying an Iron Man book for the first time in I don't know how long.

She also has her PR team activated:
    The X-Men's Emma Frost Takes Over Iron Man's 'Invincible' Title in 2023
    Fan-favorite mutant Emma Frost joins Marvel Comics' Invincible Iron Man in April's issue #5 to "pull Tony Stark out from rock bottom."
    Last edited by JB; 12-23-2022 at 04:25 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Frost International is basically a White Knight company here. Marvel must think they're so clever for that..
    Hellfire trading is explicitly likened to the East India Trading Company (the guys who make the Sacklers and Escobar seem like weekend warriors), so not as White Knight as you’d think

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Human technology prowess (even when they inevitably lose control of it) has consistently been the major of baselines over mutants

Hell, considering they keep retconning in ‘ancient and glorious mutant civilisations’ further and further into earth’s past (kind of defeating the whole ‘next step’ thing there surely) then the unintentional implication is that humans discovering even rudimentary technology (tools, fire, basic agriculture and medicine, writing etc) has been allowing baselines to outbreed and outcompete mutants since day 0
    Last edited by king of hybrids; 12-23-2022 at 05:52 AM.

Maybe the whole point of bringing Stark in is to show what can be done and created when humans and mutants work together, rather than this continued tired who is better than who bs. Tony's mind combined with Krakoan tech and mutant minds is something I've wanted explored for awhile. We're talking about Sentinels made with Tony's tech so of course it would advantageous and necessary to have him on your side against Feilong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Maybe the whole point of bringing Stark in is to show what can be done and created when humans and mutants work together, rather than this continued tired who is better than who bs. Tony's mind combined with Krakoan tech and mutant minds is something I've wanted explored for awhile. We're talking about Sentinels made with Tony's tech so of course it would advantageous and necessary to have him on your side against Feilong.
    I certainly hope so.

Does make things funny in retrospect. "Whoops, turns out we need allies after all, our bad."

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I certainly hope so.

Does make things funny in retrospect. "Whoops, turns out we need allies after all, our bad."
    I'm liking the progress. As we know, one of the many complaints that comes up is that the Avengers didn't help when mutants were going through some of their most difficult trials. They stepped up (especially Captain America) during Judgment Day so we're finally moving into a better direction. Now we have a brilliant psycho willing to destroy Tony's life to genocide mutantkind. I think it has potential to be a really interesting story. Especially if Tony loses his home and rolls up to a Krakoa gate like, "knock, knock. Mind if I crash on your couch?"