Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default DC going all in on Ezra Miller’s Flash — Superbowl ad!

WB and DC are going all in on Ezra Miller’s Flash.

I am shocked that they’re not just releasing this, but they’re giving it massive promotion.

WB and DC have bought a Superbowl TV advertisement for the Flash, according to the Wrap.

Zaslav must feel pretty confident that WB Discovery’s board has his back to allow a purchase like that.

It’s one thing to think your company has invested so much money that the movie has to be released with a smart marketing campaign, to deal with your star’s criminal issues.

It’s another thing altogether to spend cash on such a massive scale, on the largest advertising platform in America, when you’re already losing so much money and value. And for what? To buy more attention on a movie starring a criminal defendant nutjob.

I notice Gunn’s name is not mentioned in the story, which is all kinds of interesting.

Even DC fans will lose their crap over this, understandably. Get rid of beloved actors. Okay. Gotta do what you gotta do. Give massive promotion to a criminal defendant? All in a week and a half? Whaaatt?!? Who does this?

WB Discovery clearly has problems.

The truth of the matter is that the general public/audience doesn't care about Ezra's alleged crimes. It's be different if he was actually arrested and on trial for them but it's not really in the news like that. Most of the reports are circulating on sites like this but not the regular news cycle. That may change as the promotion ramps up though, so we'll see.

Eh, they have to release it, they're way in debt and need to make up money somehow. As bad as Ezra is, they're still hoping to make something back from the movie, and if at all possible maybe even a profit.
    I don't see the problem. Yes as batshit crazy as Ezra is, WBD is a business. Plus every screening has been positive. Why tank the movie because of one nutjob?

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    It's be different if he was actually arrested and on trial for them but it's not really in the news like that.
    They actually, Ezra's nonbinary (I know I've called them he recently, but lapse of memory for this stuff is common).

I'd bet most of the ad is focused on any cameos left that haven't been cut, and you only see Miller for about two seconds. If they're smart that's how most of the marketing will be. They're going to take a loss on this regardless, but they need to do what they can to weaken that loss as much as possible.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    I'd bet most of the ad is focused on any cameos left that haven't been cut, and you only see Miller for about two seconds. If they're smart that's how most of the marketing will be. They're going to take a loss on this regardless, but they need to do what they can to weaken that loss as much as possible.
    Is Keaton cut from this? Because he was my main interest in seeing this tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The truth of the matter is that the general public/audience doesn't care about Ezra's alleged crimes. It's be different if he was actually arrested and on trial for them but it's not really in the news like that. Most of the reports are circulating on sites like this but not the regular news cycle. That may change as the promotion ramps up though, so we'll see.
    Practically kidnapping an older teenager — which is not what he’s charged with, he’s facing some kind of B&E felony charges and a criminal trial — is part of Miller’s whole insane and dangerous scene. I think the public will care.
    Last edited by Brian B; 12-23-2022 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    They actually, Ezra's nonbinary (I know I've called them he recently, but lapse of memory for this stuff is common).
    He claims he’s non-binary, which has been disputed somewhat by the actual life he leads. I should be more respectful, but I don’t think Miller is particularly deserving of respect. You don’t mess with kids. You don’t break into homes in your neighborhood. Having a gun fetish is one thing. Attacking people in bars is another. Put that all together, and it doesn’t matter what you call ‘em. He’s bad, or they’re bad, and not in a good way.
    Last edited by Brian B; 12-23-2022 at 11:16 AM.

So they are spending more to advertise this then they would on all the animated shows they are cancelling. Great way to run a media company.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I am shocked that they’re not just releasing this, but they’re giving it massive promotion.
    If this movie is not released would there be a massive backlash since the star is non-binary? Would there be LGBT blowback?

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    If this movie is not released would there be a massive backlash since the star is non-binary? Would there be LGBT blowback?
    No, no one but his lawyers and entourage, and maybe WB Discovery are defending this accused criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So they are spending more to advertise this then they would on all the animated shows they are cancelling. Great way to run a media company.
    This is part of exactly what I am saying.

Its a good way to drum up publicity and I doubt most of the 100 million viewers of the Super Bowl even know or care about Miller's shenanigans. Even as a comic fan its not that big of a deal. Its not as if I review and condone the lives and failings of every main actor in every comic book film before choosing to watch it. But it is a lot of money to buy one of those commercials. Maybe they paid for it before some of the Miller stuff started coming out?

A bigger factor to me as a comic movie fan is all the news about Gunn, Cavill, Gadot, and so on. We don't know if the movie will "count" or not in the new DC movie plans. I mean, why should I care about this movie anymore?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Its a good way to drum up publicity and I doubt most of the 100 million viewers of the Super Bowl even know or care about Miller's shenanigans. Even as a comic fan its not that big of a deal. Its not as if I review and condone the lives and failings of every main actor in every comic book film before choosing to watch it. But it is a lot of money to buy one of those commercials. Maybe they paid for it before some of the Miller stuff started coming out?

A bigger factor to me as a comic movie fan is all the news about Gunn, Cavill, Gadot, and so on. We don't know if the movie will "count" or not in the new DC movie plans. I mean, why should I care about this movie anymore?
    Aren’t movies on their own supposed to entertain?

From a business perspective, I understand why studios want a shared universe. It can be a profitable marketing machine.

From viewers’ perspective, the shared universe likely holds more interest.

But if the movie is good, why would you or anyone care if they make sequels for it? That’s all a shared universe really is in movies — sequels.

I don’t go to a movie solely based on whether or not there will be a sequel. I think that’s silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Practically kidnapping an older teenager — which is not what he’s charged with, he’s facing some kind of B&E felony charges and a criminal trial — is part of Miller’s whole insane and dangerous scene. I think the public will care.
    My point is they don't care NOW. That's why WB isn't worried about releasing this. This isn't a major story anywhere else.