Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Favorite X-Moments of 2022

Inspired by Master of Sound's X-Books Awards, I figured it would be nice to reminisce about our favorite moments of the year. From huge battles to quiet moments to stunning art to funny jokes, let's take a trip down memory lane. I'll start with the first 3 that came to mind.

I stared at this page for some time as I couldn't quite believe what I was looking at. The power, the intimacy, the faces of everyone watching. Storm and Magneto made a commitment to give up eternal life to further solidify their seats at the table, literally and figuratively. The Arakkii are a people of old customs and yet this was when we saw them, during a very dark hour, change. They shifted as a people by witnessing Storm and Magneto. It all still takes my breath away.

Nightcrawler's Immortal issue. Because Cerebro is not recording 24/7, the majority of deaths allow for the resurrected to "forget" their actual death. But Nightcrawler requested that Xavier back him up constantly to achieve the task at hand, directed by Destiny. He remembered every excruciating death yet continued to launch forward, with a smile. I'm posting this scene because of how beautifully it was rendered but the whole issue was a master class in super-heroics.

I probably can't properly explain how happy I was to witness this kiss. As a gay man, it warmed my heart to see two major female X-characters showing affection in such a beautiful and special way. It was a long time coming for Rachel's character to finally be depicted as queer and it's a moment I'll never forget. From an in-story perspective, Betsy was thrust into everything that came along with being Captain Britain and so I see it as a hopeful message that love still found a way through. Plus it must have been nice to experience that feeling in her original body once again.
    Last edited by JB; 12-27-2022 at 08:36 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

Oh, Kurt was just so… Kurt in AXE! Loved this one too, I’d been waiting since the dawn of Krakoa for these three little words (from anyone, but from Logan is particularly sweet).
    5EA57AD7-B685-4A38-B00D-9F539D751D92.jpg
    81F39AD3-C7C0-4629-8AB9-B76368585E79.jpg

Astonishing Member

Extraordinary Member

best moment.jpg

Little Illyana realizing she would be proud to become Magik.

First(?) of three Hellion cameos this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    First(?) of three Hellion cameos this year.

The riveting arch of his back almost made this my number one pick.

Considering there haven't been any announcements about Rictor's whereabouts, it's safe for me to assume that he and Julian are working on forming their own X-Men team with gorgeous hair.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

It's crazy when I think back on my favourite moments from this year, I mostly flash back to something happened in X-Men Red. So many panels with Storm, Magneto and Sunspot come to mind - Al Ewing has truly been the X-king for me this year, with Kieron Gillen a close second.
    Last edited by Uncanny X-Man; 12-27-2022 at 11:18 AM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    That's pretty metal.

But my fav has to be "The Hour of Magneto" closely followed by Brand's full plan reveal, Ewing brought me back to the X books

The Hour of Magneto.
    Scarlet witch reconciled with Mutantkind
    Saving MJ Watson in the Hellfire gala

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    It's crazy when I think back on my favourite moments from this year, I mostly flash back to something happened in X-Men Red. So many panels with Storm, Ororo and Sunspot come to mind - Al Ewing has truly been the X-king for me this year, with Kieron Gillen a close second.
    Ewing is king! But I don't think Gillen comes close. Not even in the same zip code. Red has been nearly flawless, as SWORD was before it, issue after issue. Ewing's been putting on a masterclass for comic writing!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Fantastic Member

Definitely Al is Class A+ in storytelling.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

For those who haven't voted yet, you still can. Just follow the link in my signature, or look at the 'sticky thread on top of this forum.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

This year had so many glorious X-moments its just impossible to cite them all!!

Bobby's Voices Unlimited Solo was Incredible!
    Kurt shined exponentially during the AXE event!
    The hilarious budding relationship between Exodus and Hope!
    All the work Ayala put into the Shadow King / Amahl Farouk story!
    The absurdity of X-terminators!
    Betsy & Askani!
    The INSANITY of Sinister and his attempts to kill the Quiet Council!
    Steve Orlando's ALTERNATE Marauders team in X-Men Green, with Kate and Illyana! All those obscure babies doing disaster relief & rescue!!
    Sunspot! Magneto! Storm! <-- next level X-Royalty in my humble opinion
    Illyana being a role model for her younger self!
    Forge being unexpectedly HAWT.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    All the work Ayala put into the Shadow King / Amahl Farouk story!
    This is such an underrated story, imo. Amahl was written with so much depth and sympathy, and while he was redeemed, his actions weren't swept under the rug. It was a pretty nuanced story. If the arc was trimmed down a bit & wasn't dragged down by repeated delays, it would have been an instant classic.

Btw I forgot to say it then, but you posted some of your art a few months back, and I thought it was really good.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Sinister trying to kill the Quiet Council with everything (including shade).
    The absolute disdain Destiny feels for Gambit.
    The Phoenix Foundation, and the way it solidified the fact that-even though mutants are nation building, the X-Men are undoubtedly heroes.
    The Destiny focused Immortal issue. It was my favorite single issue of an X Book since the Moira HOX issue.
    Havok in the 'Goblin King' outfit, because obviously.
    The Orchis balloon at the end of AXE to remind me that-as a group, humans will probably always make the wrong decision.
    Sherlock Holmes Mystique. I want an entire series of that.
    The Emma/Cap flirtation, which is everything.
    And, of course, the way Hellion is obviously pulling the strings for all of it.
    Last edited by Jv565; 12-27-2022 at 11:45 AM.