Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Incredible Member red winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn
    Posts
    593

    Default Marvel or DC: who should have bought Wildstorm?

    Since the 90's I have been a big fan of Stormwatch, Grifter and Gen 13, and when Wildstorm left Image I was upset but then I saw them in the last issues of Marvel "Heroes Reborn" books and I thought Marvel was going to buy Wildstorm then we flash to 1999 when DC bought them okay that's great they had them as an imprint and put out some incredible read such as Planetary, Authority and the ABC.
    Then DC stopped all imprints, Vertigo & Wildstorm were stopped integrated into the DCU courtesy of the new 52.They messed with Storwatch, Grifter and Voodoo and now they are going to try it again and all I keep thinking about is Marvel's Heroes Reborn crossover with Wildstorm and how those four books showed how well Wildstorm works with Marvel not to mention the X-Men/Wild C.A.T.S. series which was twenty times better than the DC/Wildstorm series "Dream War". This why I wish Marvel would have bought Wildstorm together I think they would have made some great reads.

    Sorry if I put this under the wrong forum
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

  2. #2

    Default

    Probably Marvel because they feel more flexible tone wise. It's a way to one up the competition but would Marvel use them?

    Plus Marvel and DC are status quo driven which would handicap Wildstorm in the long run.

    So I guess a stable independent publisher like Dark Horse would've been ideal.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-27-2022 at 09:12 AM.

  3. #3
    Uncanny Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    29,974

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Probably Marvel because they feel more flexible tone wise. It's a way to one up the competition but would Marvel use them?
    Don't know if Marvel would have done any better with Wildstorm.

    After all, how often do they put out comic books with the Ultraverse characters these days?


  4. #4
    Incredible Member red winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Probably Marvel because they feel more flexible tone wise. It's a way to one up the competition but would Marvel use them?

    Plus Marvel and DC are status quo driven which would handicap Wildstorm in the long run.

    So I guess a stable independent publisher like Dark Horse would've been ideal.
    Think Marvel would have used them & we would have some great reads with Stormwatch especially if they used Captain Britain & Vindicator from Excalibur & Alpha Flight IMHO, I think DC over thinks sometimes dealing with Wildstorm & then there are times they just don't think enough
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

  5. #5
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    20,951

    Default

    Given that Marvel's Ultimate Universe was built at least partly on ideas and themes explored in The Authority, which was a Wildstorm book, I'd say maybe Wildstorm might have done a bit better integrated with Marvel compared to DC, which always felt to me a little too optimistic/idealistic as a superhero universe to jive well with Wildstorm's tone. At least with Marvel, it was baked into the cake from the start that the heroes were imperfect, flawed individuals trying their best to do the right thing in a world that didn't always or often respect, trust, or appreciate them for it. Of course, Wildstorm took that somewhat further with many of the heroes and villains being largely products of super-soldier projects for covert/black ops like darker versions of Captain America (to say nothing of how Grant Morrison revealed in their X-Men run that Weapon X --- actually meaning Weapon Ten --- was an offshoot of Weapon Plus, a covert umbrella organization designed to create anti-mutant living weapons, starting with Project Rebirth that turned Steve Rogers into Captain America, unwittingly "Weapon I/One"), which Ultimate Marvel then adopted as the source of just about every superhuman, hero or villain, to exist in its setting.

    Besides that, another thing that Marvel and Wildstorm had in common was just how often the heroes had to contend with shady government initiatives to coopt or otherwise control them and their powers for more nefarious agendas, like the X-Men repeatedly facing robotic Sentinels and registration acts designed to contain mutants, Captain America having to contest the U.S. government for his own mantle when he refused to go on missions he thought were morally dubious back in the 1980s, and then in the 2000s --- by one of The Authority's writers, no less --- a registration act that targeted anyone and everyone with powers, regardless of their source or origin, and caused a Civil War in the superhero community. Hell, my favorite Marvel/Wildstorm crossovers had Spider-Man in them, Ben Reilly teaming up with Backlash against Venom and one of Backlash's own enemies and Peter Parker with Gen13, given that Peter himself started as a teenage hero, not to mention that the Gen13 crew could be considered in some ways --- mainly the team/group dynamics --- an edgier version of the original five X-Men updated for the 1990s. Come to think of it, speaking of shady government operations, S.H.I.E.L.D. and Stormwatch could have been rival organizations, based on Nick Fury distrusting Henry Bendix as someone who'd go to lengths and cross lines even Fury wouldn't dare, and not for the same relatively noble reasons as Fury.

    Which is all to say, I think Marvel and Wildstorm could have meshed better with each other compared to DC and Wildstorm.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Underneath the Brooklyn Bridge
    Posts
    2,570

    Default

    I would have liked for Wildstorm to have thrived as a company on their own, perhaps that's too idealistic of me.

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    9,992

    Default

    For me it’s a mix of this…
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Don't know if Marvel would have done any better with Wildstorm.

    After all, how often do they put out comic books with the Ultraverse characters these days?

    …and this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I would have liked for Wildstorm to have thrived as a company on their own, perhaps that's too idealistic of me.
    Wildstorm is it’s own (pretty good) thing and feels shoehorned into the DCU. I personally think they’d fit in even less at Marvel.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Given that Marvel's Ultimate Universe was built at least partly on ideas and themes explored in The Authority, which was a Wildstorm book, I'd say maybe Wildstorm might have done a bit better integrated with Marvel compared to DC, which always felt to me a little too optimistic/idealistic as a superhero universe to jive well with Wildstorm's tone. At least with Marvel, it was baked into the cake from the start that the heroes were imperfect, flawed individuals trying their best to do the right thing in a world that didn't always or often respect, trust, or appreciate them for it. Of course, Wildstorm took that somewhat further with many of the heroes and villains being largely products of super-soldier projects for covert/black ops like darker versions of Captain America (to say nothing of how Grant Morrison revealed in their X-Men run that Weapon X --- actually meaning Weapon Ten --- was an offshoot of Weapon Plus, a covert umbrella organization designed to create anti-mutant living weapons, starting with Project Rebirth that turned Steve Rogers into Captain America, unwittingly "Weapon I/One"), which Ultimate Marvel then adopted as the source of just about every superhuman, hero or villain, to exist in its setting.

    Besides that, another thing that Marvel and Wildstorm had in common was just how often the heroes had to contend with shady government initiatives to coopt or otherwise control them and their powers for more nefarious agendas, like the X-Men repeatedly facing robotic Sentinels and registration acts designed to contain mutants, Captain America having to contest the U.S. government for his own mantle when he refused to go on missions he thought were morally dubious back in the 1980s, and then in the 2000s --- by one of The Authority's writers, no less --- a registration act that targeted anyone and everyone with powers, regardless of their source or origin, and caused a Civil War in the superhero community. Hell, my favorite Marvel/Wildstorm crossovers had Spider-Man in them, Ben Reilly teaming up with Backlash against Venom and one of Backlash's own enemies and Peter Parker with Gen13, given that Peter himself started as a teenage hero, not to mention that the Gen13 crew could be considered in some ways --- mainly the team/group dynamics --- an edgier version of the original five X-Men updated for the 1990s. Come to think of it, speaking of shady government operations, S.H.I.E.L.D. and Stormwatch could have been rival organizations, based on Nick Fury distrusting Henry Bendix as someone who'd go to lengths and cross lines even Fury wouldn't dare, and not for the same relatively noble reasons as Fury.

    Which is all to say, I think Marvel and Wildstorm could have meshed better with each other compared to DC and Wildstorm.
    You raised some good points.

    Here are some what is that are fun to think of-

    I'm fond of Ellis and Hunt's the Wild Storm imprint. It felt similar to how Shooter's newUniversal franchise. So maybe we would've gotten something similar sooner.

    I also wonder if Brubaker and Phillips's Sleeper comic would be tied to Captain America's mythos more. Would Bucky, Sam, Sharon and Steve pop up? I could see the main character as a former captain America fan.

    Gail Simone did a series called "Welcome to Tranquility" with Adrian Syaf. It focused on a superhero retirement home so I wonder if the Golden Age heroes would pop up there?

    Oh well.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-03-2023 at 08:30 AM.

  9. #9
    Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Avalon & Belfast N. Ireland
    Posts
    808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I would have liked for Wildstorm to have thrived as a company on their own, perhaps that's too idealistic of me.
    Personally I would love to see it stay as an imprint but if Marvel had bought it I think Wildstorm would have acclimated more than it does with DC & IMHO, would have thrived unlike the Malibu Comics. I could easily see live action or animated Tom Strong movie & dare I say an Authority movie especially with the Pixar animation
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

  10. #10
    Mighty Member Dr. Skeleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,243

    Default

    Neither. As others said, Marvel would've buried Wildstorm just as they did the Ultraverse and should've operated as their own company. I wish they stayed in Image or wish Marc Silvestri had acquired them to merge with Top Cow.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    33,856

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Neither. As others said, Marvel would've buried Wildstorm just as they did the Ultraverse and should've operated as their own company. I wish they stayed in Image or wish Marc Silvestri had acquired them to merge with Top Cow.
    I agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Given that Marvel's Ultimate Universe was built at least partly on ideas and themes explored in The Authority, which was a Wildstorm book, I'd say maybe Wildstorm might have done a bit better integrated with Marvel compared to DC, which always felt to me a little too optimistic/idealistic as a superhero universe to jive well with Wildstorm's tone. At least with Marvel, it was baked into the cake from the start that the heroes were imperfect, flawed individuals trying their best to do the right thing in a world that didn't always or often respect, trust, or appreciate them for it. Of course, Wildstorm took that somewhat further with many of the heroes and villains being largely products of super-soldier projects for covert/black ops like darker versions of Captain America (to say nothing of how Grant Morrison revealed in their X-Men run that Weapon X --- actually meaning Weapon Ten --- was an offshoot of Weapon Plus, a covert umbrella organization designed to create anti-mutant living weapons, starting with Project Rebirth that turned Steve Rogers into Captain America, unwittingly "Weapon I/One"), which Ultimate Marvel then adopted as the source of just about every superhuman, hero or villain, to exist in its setting.

    Besides that, another thing that Marvel and Wildstorm had in common was just how often the heroes had to contend with shady government initiatives to coopt or otherwise control them and their powers for more nefarious agendas, like the X-Men repeatedly facing robotic Sentinels and registration acts designed to contain mutants, Captain America having to contest the U.S. government for his own mantle when he refused to go on missions he thought were morally dubious back in the 1980s, and then in the 2000s --- by one of The Authority's writers, no less --- a registration act that targeted anyone and everyone with powers, regardless of their source or origin, and caused a Civil War in the superhero community. Hell, my favorite Marvel/Wildstorm crossovers had Spider-Man in them, Ben Reilly teaming up with Backlash against Venom and one of Backlash's own enemies and Peter Parker with Gen13, given that Peter himself started as a teenage hero, not to mention that the Gen13 crew could be considered in some ways --- mainly the team/group dynamics --- an edgier version of the original five X-Men updated for the 1990s. Come to think of it, speaking of shady government operations, S.H.I.E.L.D. and Stormwatch could have been rival organizations, based on Nick Fury distrusting Henry Bendix as someone who'd go to lengths and cross lines even Fury wouldn't dare, and not for the same relatively noble reasons as Fury.

    Which is all to say, I think Marvel and Wildstorm could have meshed better with each other compared to DC and Wildstorm.
    All of these have been staples of the DCU for decades, if not the beginning.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member 9th.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    4,153

    Default

    Neither, I think they should be their own thing. I don't think their books would fly off the shelves either way but like someone above me said it's gotta be better than getting buried.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

  13. #13
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    20,951

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I agree.



    All of these have been staples of the DCU for decades, if not the beginning.
    Fair argument there.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  14. #14
    Mighty Member Brian B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Neither. As others said, Marvel would've buried Wildstorm just as they did the Ultraverse and should've operated as their own company. I wish they stayed in Image or wish Marc Silvestri had acquired them to merge with Top Cow.
    I wish that Wildstorm had been viable, too.

    Although they published a few nice things right after DC bought them, I thought overall they worked best as their own company, publishing titles through Image. But it wasn’t to be.

    On the other hand, if DC had never bought Wildstorm, then Jim Lee never would have drawn Frank Miller’s All-Star Batman, and Jim Lee may still be working regularly as an artist. So, we get less Jim Lee art and we got All-Star Batman thanks to DC buying Wildstorm. Thanks a lot, DC!!

    I sometimes wonder if Jim Lee regrets his decision to not pursue medical school.

  15. #15
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    41

    Default

    I would have did this. DC & Marvel, when they acquire a new set of characters
    try to put all of them in their main universes. They should first place the property
    on its own earth. This the original characters and ideas remain intact for someone to use
    if they wish. Then pick and choose which ideas can fit in their universe. Or pick
    which characters fit a need for them. Like DC could us a Shield a global spy agency
    Stormwatch could fill that need

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •