Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED
    http://www.fantomas-lives.com/fanto47.htm

Default Why is there No Meghan Markle and Prince Harry meltdown the monarchy debate?

I am a bit baffled by the lack of opinion where everything is so opinioned in the community above the comics.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Netflix documentary is surely a new round post QEII passing of the monarchy being called into question. I for one aren't a monarchy defender as form of government structure and see it as archaic and expensive yet I have to admit that the British version has many advantages to it by its privileged place in world affairs, meaning that it commands a respect and awe that outsizes what a country like Britian might be if it was just another republic.

Then there are the personalities that so many people feel that they know by the media portraits and the bias of the media outlets. I know I had a christmas dinner conversation about who wears the pants in the couple of Meghan
    or Harry. (I still think Harry is using Meghan to take a dump on the Royal family and his idea of the monarchy is they can and should be in charge of their media) Are they just another celebrity with extra powers? Does the Diana history matter still? Is the documentary just cynical cash on a train wreck in motion? Feels that way to me.

I am sorry if there is an archived thread on the couple but as I am new here it seems like a fab new catastrophe to comment on outside of politics.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Perhaps that’s because no one here gives a damn about Harry and Meghan. I sure don’t.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Hmm, let me think....could it be no one gives a rat's ass?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

If you want to talk about something then bring it up in the appropriate thread (Politics I assume) instead of making a new thread that seems to be complaining about the forum itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    If you want to talk about something then bring it up in the appropriate thread (Politics I assume) instead of making a new thread that seems to be complaining about the forum itself.
    But then they can't be so condescending. What's the fun in that?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I seriously mean no offense in this comparison, but I really feel like you might as well be asking why there isn't a thread about whatever the Kardashians are doing. I'm sure there are plenty of people who know and have opinions about it, but I don't think it's so odd that there is not a thread here discussing whatever they're up to.

I mean, I suppose things related to the Royals can kind of be considered political? But... I mean, besides commenting about the continued existence of monarchy in general, what else is there everybody should really have an opinion about? Like, why would you think anyone should care? Especially those not in the UK, I guess. But honestly, I kind of doubt I'd have much of an opinion about them, even then.

I mean, why are they any more important to pay attention to than any other uber-rich person? I suppose I don't fault anyone for caring, but I certainly don't think everyone needs to.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Adam, supposedly they are not Uber Rich as they do not have access to the Windsor fortune. Not that they are hurting or don't live in luxury.

I guess I got tired of seeing them do interviews on tv every day to talk about how they want to be left alone and not be on tv every day.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Anyone who isn't a fan of the Royals or a British Citizen has more important things to worry about.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

I do have an opinion, but certainly not as strong as many people I have seen commenting on it elsewhere. Why people can get so worked up over something that is basically just between specific group of people and has no effect on other's lives is beyond me. I get it with fictional stuff like comics (), but real people? Nah, it's their business, as long as noone gets hurt. Which brings me to the much bigger problem the Royal family has, but one that is continually swept under the table and very possibly one of the reasons why the press is so vulturous with Meghan - to drive away the attention from the actual family creep.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

BANNED

Sorry I guess I should have done a poll instead asking if anyone cared rather than if anyone found it fascinating as politics that aren't quite politics. By that they are real, and the Monarchy does impact how Britain is perceived, valued and perhaps understood. That's a far cry from what the Kardashians bring to the table and on another level it is a way of seeing how PR fights are conducted by building opinions around other existing bias and prejudice by creating stereotypes and leaning into old tropes. The mention of Megan under attack reminds the old cliche of men being led around by their women and how that excuses and blames Harry at the same time.
    Last edited by 4theEarth; 12-27-2022 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4theEarth View Post
    The mention of Megan under attack reminds the old cliche of men being led around by their women and how that excuses and blames Harry at the same time.
    Misogyny is rarely original, they usually use the same old tropes over and over again and sadly, many people still fall for it.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Misogyny is rarely original, they usually use the same old tropes over and over again and sadly, many people still fall for it.
    It is just that it is not just perpetuation of a Misogynist trope but a reliance on it. The media, or parts of it, know it is out there out of the various cards being played to trap one side or the other with certain audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by 4theEarth View Post
    It is just that it is not just perpetuation of a Misogynist trope but a reliance on it. The media, or parts of it, know it is out there out of the various cards being played to trap one side or the other with certain audiences.
    By media, do you mean those owned by Rupert Murdock? If so, you have your answer right there.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

i dont really care much about politics & political figures

in fairness to them, they might not have any political duties or what not though but still i guess royal family would be an extension