Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

What's interesting is that we're all talking about one story idea, but probably have very different ideas of how we'd execute and deliver it. Different ideas of how serious or how funny or how meta aware or etc it would be.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I like when they did this for the Batman 66 comics (reimagining some characters like Harley, Scarecrow, Killer Croc) and that Batman vs Two-Face movie with Shatner as Two-Face

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like the Court of Owls would be narrowed down to just one Talon bad guy.
    I could see each member of the Court having a champion or more to represent them like a personnel bodyguard/hitman

I hate to say Cass would be turned into a stereotype, but she probably would.
    Cass I think could show up in Green Hornet crossover as Cass Kato the daughter of Lady Shiva and Kato

Retired

In terms of Punchline--there are two options:

In BATMAN 186 (November 1966)--1st story, "The Joker's Original Robberies" by Broome, Moldoff and Giella--the Joker takes on a diminutive sidekick named Gaggy. While I don't think most of the Batman comics were nearly as Camp as the T.V. show, this story was pretty bad in the Camp department. Gaggy is just horrible and it makes no sense that Joker thinks Gaggy is such a comic genius.

The BATMAN newspaper strip was much more Camp like the T.V. show and in the July 9th, 1966 - September 24th, 1966 continuity--by Ellsworth and Giella--the Joker takes on a female sidekick called "Laughing Girl." She acts like an odious parody of a Native-American; however, at the end of this story arc, we find out it's all a bit, and she's really a chorus girl from Brooklyn named Bertha Schultz.

Being female, Bertha Schultz would be the obvious choice for a Punchline parallel. But the "Laughing Girl" bit is rather offensive--even if she's just doing it to be ironic and making an intellectual comment on cultural appropriation.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    So Stephanie would become Betty Kane Bat-Girl?
    That would be the only reason I would be interested in it.

Why does Bette have to be so ignored by the Bat family (writers, actually) ?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    So Stephanie would become Betty Kane Bat-Girl?
    That was basically my thought on how they'd use her.

Ooooo, I have so many ideas for a 60s vibe, but also through a modern lens!

One question though, can Allred be the artist?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I hate to say Cass would be turned into a stereotype, but she probably would.

I feel like a Silver Age Punchline would be styled like Jewelee of Punch and Jewelee.
    You could have Cass be the one who keeps her semblance of self and knows something is off with the Gotham/the world

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Cass I think could show up in Green Hornet crossover as Cass Kato the daughter of Lady Shiva and Kato
    Don't know Assassins/Ninjas and Martials don't really fit in the Silver Age Batman, that's a imo more a Bronze Age thing. I think she and Damian are really hard to integrate into silver age Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Don't know Assassins/Ninjas and Martials don't really fit in the Silver Age Batman, that's a imo more a Bronze Age thing. I think she and Damian are really hard to integrate into silver age Batman.
    Batman '66 comic had Ras al-Ghul and the League of Shadows, they could easily put Shiva as a femme fatale for Kato or a rival to Batgirl

Retired

Early into the "New Look," they introduced the international criminal organization called Hydra--BATMAN 167 (November 1964)--"Zero Hour for Earth" by Finger, Moldoff and Giella." This seemed to be setting up a running sub-plot, yet they never did more with it (maybe because Bill Finger was black-balled by Bob Kane).

There was also Dr. Tzin-Tzin (who despite his name was not Asian), in DETECTIVE COMICS 354 (August 1966)--1st story, "No Exit for Batman" by Broome, Moldoff and Giella. He would next appear in DETECTIVE COMICS 408 (February 1971)--1st story, "The House that Haunted Batman" by Wein, Wolfman, Adams and Giordano--by which time he had become a member of the League of Assassins.

There were also quite a few stories where Batman, Robin and Batgirl met up with experts in martial arts--and showed they knew some moves also.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Early into the "New Look," they introduced the international criminal organization called Hydra--BATMAN 167 (November 1964)--"Zero Hour for Earth" by Finger, Moldoff and Giella." This seemed to be setting up a running sub-plot, yet they never did more with it (maybe because Bill Finger was black-balled by Bob Kane).
    The "New Look" was also the one that got rid of a lot of silver age elements in Batman, and kind of started the transition into the Bronze Age.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Batman '66 comic had Ras al-Ghul and the League of Shadows, they could easily put Shiva as a femme fatale for Kato or a rival to Batgirl
    I might be wrong but iirc the comics code didn't allow "femme fatale" characters, which led to Catwoman not being in the Batman comics during that era.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The "New Look" was also the one that got rid of a lot of silver age elements in Batman, and kind of started the transition into the Bronze Age.
    Yeah, and so I myself would definitely not take much from the New Look era or the 60s show. Definitely stick with more Silver Age comics of 50s and very early 60s.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”