Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Cruise vs. Day-Lewis Best Actor 1989

Tom was nominated for Born on the Fourth of July and Daniel was nominated for My Left Foot, taking home the Oscar. But which performance do you like more or was more deserving?

TC really gives a great performance in BOTFOJ and in any other year would have won. I believe he was a slight favorite going into Oscar night. He did win the Golden Globe though. Haven't seen MLF but do plan on it. After reading about what he put himself through the role, and seen a couple clips, the Academy I think made the right call.

Thoughts?

DDL's worst performance is still better than anything Cruise has done.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Ultimate Member

It’s funny how both roles involved them playing physically disabled characters.

Cruise gave a career best in BOTFOJ. He hasn’t done anything close to that since then.

But Daniel Day-Lewis gave an “all-timer” in my left foot. I can’t off the top of my head think of a performance more deserving of an Oscar than DDLs in My Left Foot.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I like Tom Cruise as much as anyone (solely as far being a actor), but it's hard to ever imagine a world where any Cruise performance could top one by Daniel Day-Lewis. Daniel Day-Lewis has always been on another level.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It’s funny how both roles involved them playing physically disabled characters.

Cruise gave a career best in BOTFOJ. He hasn’t done anything close to that since then.

But Daniel Day-Lewis gave an “all-timer” in my left foot. I can’t off the top of my head think of a performance more deserving of an Oscar than DDLs in My Left Foot.
    Well, there is also Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia which he did very well in also.

Retired

I think there was a time where Cruise was trying to prove himself as a great actor. However, he never got suitable compensation for all his hard work and he seemed to give up trying, So he just stuck to doing the usual "Tom Cruise" roles.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think there was a time where Cruise was trying to prove himself as a great actor. However, he never got suitable compensation for all his hard work and he seemed to give up trying, So he just stuck to doing the usual "Tom Cruise" roles.
    Interesting take to ponder, yeah, maybe he gave up on being the next Brando/Nicholson/Etc for the money.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Day Lewis gave one of the best performances in the 80s. His main competition that decade was De Niro in Raging Bull and Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice, two other all time great film leads.

So he deserved to win, and it's good that he did.

To be completely honest, I'd have no problem with Cruise winning for Top Gun: Maverick, although that may change after I see The Whale.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Retired

Every movie that Daniel Day-Lewis was in, he was an entirely different character. From THE BOUNTY to MY BEAUTIFUL LAUNDERETTE to A ROOM WITH A VIEW to THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING to MY LEFT FOOT to THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS to THE AGE OF INNOCENCE to THE NAME OF THE FATHER. The variety of roles and characters was so sweeping that you had to be impressed with his range.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    DDL's worst performance is still better than anything Cruise has done.
    Cruise was pretty dang good in Born on the Fourth of July.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Pretty damn good is not enough to beat a man crazy enough to shuffle around set pretending to have a gammy foot when the cameras are not rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Yeah I've seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    To be completely honest, I'd have no problem with Cruise winning for Top Gun: Maverick, although that may change after I see The Whale.
    Did you see Elvis and The Banshees of Inisherin?
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Tom was nominated for Born on the Fourth of July and Daniel was nominated for My Left Foot, taking home the Oscar. But which performance do you like more or was more deserving?

TC really gives a great performance in BOTFOJ and in any other year would have won. I believe he was a slight favorite going into Oscar night. He did win the Golden Globe though. Haven't seen MLF but do plan on it. After reading about what he put himself through the role, and seen a couple clips, the Academy I think made the right call.

Thoughts?
    As good as Cruise was in BotFoJ and as deserving as he might have been in a different year, DDL deserved that win. Easily one of the greatest performances in movie history.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Pretty damn good is not enough to beat a man crazy enough to shuffle around set pretending to have a gammy foot when the cameras are not rolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    As good as Cruise was in BotFoJ and as deserving as he might have been in a different year, DDL deserved that win. Easily one of the greatest performances in movie history.
    Obviously, the Academy agrees with your assessments.

Personally, I liked Born on the Fourth of July more than My Left Foot. But, that’s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by chicago_bastard View Post
    Yeah I've seen it.

Did you see Elvis and The Banshees of Inisherin?
    Yep. I have no problem with Farrell getting nominated, but I thought what Cruise did in Tom Gun: Maverick was more impressive. Farrell showed his range, and I think he did something really impressive by showing someone who is complex but not intelligent. It's a trick very few people could do. I don't think anyone else could've done Top Gun: Maverick.

I thought Austin Butler was fine in Elvis, although it seems weird to me that there's a consensus that he's a lock to be nominated. He just doesn't seem to be on that level. It's a career-making performance, but it's not better than career-making performances that don't get nominated.

The best lead performance I've seen this year is likely Cate Blanchett in TAR. The most impressive male performance I've seen so far is Ke Huy Quan in Everything Everywhere All At Once.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets