Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    I think that's the key question, but when you think about it, there's definitely a case for him to be goofy. Peter Parker as Spider-Man is a goofy hero after all, and Ben is his clone. There's something to be said for lived experiences, nature vs. nurture and all of that but I can understand why, if Ben is being played as a dark reflection of sorts, why they'd take the trademark Spidey quips and apply them to Chasm.
    I'm just quoting you to say that I agree 100% with your signature.

I think Ben should be a little goofy if they're going with the "dark reflection" angle. But with the initial flashback they're treating Ben's situation, trauma and brain damage for laughs. That is the weird tone of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post

I'd rather have a serious, grounded story with nuance thankyou, not a Saturday morning s*itfest.

And that is the whole problem, it lacks that emotional and intellectual depth that someone like DeMatteis could easily bring to the book if he were at all interested in exploring Chasm. Why should we just 'settle' for so much less?
    It's not about settling, per se. Not all stories are going for "Kraven's Last Hunt" in interiority. This one's def going more for "The Commuter Cometh." Or the second arc of Ultimate Spidey.

And there're plenty of stories going for deep and missing--think McFaralane's Torment.

It's all about execution, and IMHO Wells is giving us gourmet goofy Spidey. And more down to earth stuff, too, with JRJR (or Kubert, even).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    It's not about settling, per se. Not all stories are going for "Kraven's Last Hunt" in interiority. This one's def going more for "The Commuter Cometh." Or the second arc of Ultimate Spidey.

And there're plenty of stories going for deep and missing--think McFaralane's Torment.

It's all about execution, and IMHO Wells is giving us gourmet goofy Spidey. And more down to earth stuff, too, with JRJR (or Kubert, even).
    I think Wells need to go for deep and emotional at the end of the event. Otherwise what's the point of establishing the deep conection with Chasm? Just to do sibling rivalry/ banter? Might as well rename Chasm to Shallow if that's the case.

Fantastic Member

Honestly, I would love to see Chasm and Hallows Eve minis written by JMD, as I think he could really get into their heads... just my thoughts, mind. While I want Ben to come back as Scarlet Spider, I wouldn't mind the Chasm Ooze to find its way to Spidercide. Said it before, but it would be a tragedy after the bit of redemption in the mini, for him to lose his memories... except, only remembering a few names, like 'Ben' and 'Peter'.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    Honestly, I would love to see Chasm and Hallows Eve minis written by JMD, as I think he could really get into their heads... just my thoughts, mind. While I want Ben to come back as Scarlet Spider, I wouldn't mind the Chasm Ooze to find its way to Spidercide. Said it before, but it would be a tragedy after the bit of redemption in the mini, for him to lose his memories... except, only remembering a few names, like 'Ben' and 'Peter'.
    JMD could make some sort of lemonade with those lemons but he stated that doesn't want to write Ben as a villain

This continues to be such a fun event. This issue didn't turn anything upside down but the art was stunning and it gave a clear understanding of how different peter and ben see things so what Ben may be doing is fundamentally wrong he is far from a villain as he is truly acting from a place of truth as far as he knows.

I love how they differentiate the spiders how miles has his venom blast and Chasim has his reactive spider sense. In one event it's made clear that not all spiders are made equal and i love that. There were just a lot of great panels in ASM 16 and Mcguiness is in top form here. I want a talking roller skate. lol.

I am also really enjoying how the entire event feels cohesive due to the colorists as well and the background images lots of hues of red and green tinkled in makes it feel like dark christmas too. This is the true successor to inferno imo. Madelyne has never looked better.

And on a side it's kind of funny everybody missing something in marvel right now. Kang missing a moment in time. FF missing their kids, Maddie/Ben missing memories, the readers missing exactly what happened the cost some people their stuff, Tony giving everything away. Are the memories and moments connected?

Some of my fave panels.
    highaction.jpg
    butspideycan.jpg
    yassqueen.jpg

haven't read posts in the thread yet as i don't want to spoil myself and still have to read venom and darkweb xmen. But really enjoying the event so far and how it's contained and not messing up the main books of the participants in other franchises but instead adding books for those to them so no one is forced into it.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This is the true successor to inferno imo
    Easy to say that when it's the exact same plot but with worse characterisation .

(glad you're enjoying it though)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This continues to be such a fun event. This issue didn't turn anything upside down but the art was stunning and it gave a clear understanding of how different peter and ben see things so what Ben may be doing is fundamentally wrong he is far from a villain as he is truly acting from a place of truth as far as he knows.
    He's unleashing a horde of demons on innocent civilians
    Last edited by Sr. Bungle; 12-29-2022 at 08:17 AM.

All-New Member

At the end of the story, I would like Maddie to have some kind of happy ending for once.

She's been treated so poorly by people aka. Cyclops being a major one who married her, had a kid with her, and then rejected her when Jean Grey returned and that just isn't right.

Maddie needs to end up acquiring some kind of redemption in the story that doesn't lead to her death but rather a beginning of a better life.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shifter View Post
    At the end of the story, I would like Maddie to have some kind of happy ending for once.

She's been treated so poorly by people aka. Cyclops being a major one who married her, had a kid with her, and then rejected her when Jean Grey returned and that just isn't right.

Maddie needs to end up acquiring some kind of redemption in the story that doesn't lead to her death but rather a beginning of a better life.
    Has she ever actually interacted with adult Cable?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shifter View Post

Next issue of Dark Web; X-Men is called "redhead redemption". Make of that what you will

I mean can Al Ewing do any wrong, i mean seriously. Ben having the whole in his head being the reason for chasm. The "villains" actually connecting and forming bonds for each other and having actual reasons for what they are doing rather than mustache twirling, having awareness of what they are doing, even questioning it, but discovering their resolves to do basically what the heroes do. Protect each other. I always love how theres a little corner he explores that brings out big thoughts because there is always another perspective and to some it may seem like the x-men are heroes living in their tree house and when your so wrapped up in the sacrifices you had to make and just getting through life you can't always look up to see what someone is going through but envy can come easy when the down is up. Why am i loving the "villains" so much in this event.

So many great little details like krakoan wood being tough for the acid etc. I mean the man doesn't leave a stone unturned. And the way he writes synch, whoo, i know his muscles tired the way he was calling them powers this issue. Taking control of the symbiot and basically teaching eddie about his powers. my boy dangerous ya'll. Just EEEEEE!!! lol

some of my fave panels.
    hebeenthroughalot.jpg
    letsbefriends.jpg
    masterofmutationindeed.jpg
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Has she ever actually interacted with adult Cable?
    Not really sure, which is strange considering that her entire motivation in this story stems from the fact that fact that she didn’t get the chance to experience her child’s life, something Jean did. Honestly, given that she just wants the memories of that life that she missed out on, this entire thing could have been resolved by just having a sit down and asking rather throwing a tantrum and bringing Hell to Earth. It’s kinda an overarching theme for Ben, Janine and Maddie that all of this was completely unnecessary and raises the question of did they even consider for a moment to just ask the parties that they’re going after for help rather than doing this entire elaborate plan and dragging all of New York into it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post

If you enjoy it, that’s great, but I think “The Commuter Cometh” is the completely wrong tone to shoot for with this story. It seems completely at odds with the arcs that came before it, and extremely ill fitting for this type of story. It turns what could be an arc that really digs into how the “leftovers” like Ben and Maddie feel after the originals return and leave them relegated to background status into a silly “Noooo not psycho reactive goo!”
    It’s just leaving what could be a great story on the table and smacks of wasted potential.

You know, we are at the end of the first third of this event and it is now completely apparent that Jean Grey could literally solve all of this easily, giving both Maddie and Ben exactly what they want and yet you just know they’re not gonna gonna go that route and instead make an entire Gordian knot out of it.