View Poll Results: Do you like the current state of the multiverse?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they're all great and I want to keep them around

3 8.82%
  • I like some of them, but others I can do without

6 17.65%
  • No, I don't like any of them

18 52.94%
  • I don't really care either way

7 20.59%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you like the changes Scott Snyder made to the multiverse?

The Dark Multiverse, Perpetua, the World Forge, etc. How do people feel about these changes and do you think there should be more done with them?

There may have been a purpose to the Dark Multiverse at one point; but there isn't a need for it anymore. The World Forge is a nice idea that I wouldn't mind seeing revisited, given the right story; but again, with the Infinite Multiverse back in play, and with Hypertime potentially covering “what ifs” for existing Earths, I can't imagine how it might be worth coming back to.

I'm glad Perpetua is gone. I think, at this point, there might be something worthwhile to do with her “siblings”, the “mothers” of other Multiverses. But not yet. Give it a couple of years before you return to it.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

It feels a little convoluted.

Astonishing Member

Good ideas, not so great execution; not helped by it being immediately all retconned as a fraud for the benefit of DC having another insecure tantrum over COIE.

The Dark Multiverse would probably work for ‘What if’ premises that by design don’t have legs on them to be revisited

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think they are making this way more complicated than it needed to be. Especially when they don't have any real long term plans for any of these new universes. I think Johns idea of giving all the previous universes their own designations was much more relevant.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The Dark Multiverse is what it is. A toybox to sell fun dark Batman toys, but not much can be drawn as stories without getting into Batman fatigue and that already happened before Dark Multiverse.
    Perpetua is not a villain that can be repeated because where do you go from the creator of the Multiverse.
    The Great Darkness I guess, since that's even cosmically larger, but even then they have to tone it down at the end, coz you can't really get any higher than that without turning cosmical into comical as the villain gets larger and larger.
    I don't mind the meta plot of all stories and reboot are canon from 1938 to now, honestly that's one of the simplest view of it. The story is just like its publication. That's it. Especially since DC and the writers themselves obviously never want to or can't limit themselves to one continuity. I'm a lot less angry about continuity now coz I can just say oh it's past continuity memory or oh it's just Hypertime or oh they got rebooted.
    How Duke Thomas and Jon Kent fit in the current timeline? They're previous continuity immigrant. That's your explanation. I am not thinking about timeline unless I happen to be in the mood for it.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Its just more over complication of a simple premise. All these Dark Multiverse realities are just other timeliness that went bad. They don't need to be their own thing. The original multiple realities set up is still the best and easiest to understand. All the stuff by guys like Snyder and Morrison just makes thing messy and convoluted

If we're including things like the Omniverse and the “Meta-History” (for lack of an official name) as Scott Snyder innovations, I'll have to put the former in the category of “things I like” and would like to see explored further. Even with the return of the Infinite Multiverse, I can see reason to have an Omniverse of multiple Multiverses; for example, the Injustice universe is Earth 49 in the Orrery of Worlds; but there's another Multiverse out there where it's Earth 22. The Amalgam universe exists as Earth 1996 in the Orrery of Worlds, but as Earth 9602 in Marvel's Multiverse. In short, an Omniverse of multiple Multiverses lets you define the relationships (or lack thereof) between different worlds differently depending on which Multiverse you're talking about.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Its just more over complication of a simple premise. All these Dark Multiverse realities are just other timeliness that went bad. They don't need to be their own thing. The original multiple realities set up is still the best and easiest to understand. All the stuff by guys like Snyder and Morrison just makes thing messy and convoluted
    I'll agree about the Dark Multiverse: to the extent that the Dark Multiverse is just “worlds that went bad”, how are they any different from the Multiverse's Earth 31, or DCeased, Injustice, or DC vs. Vampires? Heck, even the world of Kamandi can be thought of as a “world gone wrong”.

I could see the Dark Multiverse being a useful and interesting notion of you return to its original concept of “incomplete worlds”, “works in progress”, or “not ready for prime time” by bringing Alphaus back to the World Forge and bringing the Dark Multiverse back to “what it was originally supposed to be”.

I'll have to disagree about the original Multiverse setup being the best, or that Morrison's stuff just makes things convoluted. In particular, I'm a fan of Hypertime; and while I see how Hypertime can coexist with a simple Multiverse, if I had to choose just one of DC's multiple realities frameworks too cover everything, I'd rather go with Hypertime than the Multiverse.

I'm glad, though, that I don't have to make that choice.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    I'll agree about the Dark Multiverse: to the extent that the Dark Multiverse is just “worlds that went bad”, how are they any different from the Multiverse's Earth 31, or DCeased, Injustice, or DC vs. Vampires? Heck, even the world of Kamandi can be thought of as a “world gone wrong”.
    Good observation. I had the same question about the Dark multiverse .

I could see the Dark Multiverse being a useful and interesting notion of you return to its original concept of “incomplete worlds”, “works in progress”, or “not ready for prime time” by bringing Alphaus back to the World Forge and bringing the Dark Multiverse back to “what it was originally supposed to be”.
    That seems more like a viable idea.

I'll have to disagree about the original Multiverse setup being the best, or that Morrison's stuff just makes things convoluted. In particular, I'm a fan of Hypertime; and while I see how Hypertime can coexist with a simple Multiverse, if I had to choose just one of DC's multiple realities frameworks too cover everything, I'd rather go with Hypertime than the Multiverse.

I'm glad, though, that I don't have to make that choice.
    I am ok with the multiverse as is seen now, expanded. Byut I could prefer if the existencial axis could be conserved.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

IMHO Snyder and Company pretty much obliterated the DCU even breaking some of the more enduring and truly mysterious elements like the Hand of Creation and the Source Wall only to replace it with.......NOTHING of remotely comparable epicness/quality/awesomeness.

It is more than a little infuriating. But hopefully we are on the road to something resembling quality. But at 5 and 6 USD a pop you can be sure it will be a review-before-you-buy model for me. I lament the trees that died in the name last decade and a half of DC treading water.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I really like The Dark Multiverse idea, I think it improved upon the just "different earth" thing (I'm not saying that there shouldn't also be different earths) because it takes this physics idea of dark matter and connects it with like the underworld and Freudian psychology. It was kinda like Morrison's conception of Bizzaro's world as an Underverse in All-Star Superman.

The other ideas is where I'm more ambivalent, wondering why it had to change so much instead of using/not deemphasizing existing ideas (like the Hand of Creation and the Source Wall, Morrison's contributions to the cosmology, COIE, etc, etc).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 12-30-2022 at 09:24 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

It's hard to answer the poll until I've caught up on my reading. I've only recently finished Justice League: No Justice, in which I learned that the JLA (or was it the Green Lanterns?) had broken the Source Wall. Can someone please tell me in which title(s), and in which issue(s) the Source Wall was broken? Thanks.
    Last edited by Anodyne; 02-28-2023 at 08:20 PM.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I hate the multiverse so everything happens to it, outside of the scenario post Crisis on Infinite Earths, is none of my concern.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    I hate the multiverse so everything happens to it, outside of the scenario post Crisis on Infinite Earths, is none of my concern.
    Correct answer. What about the Multiverse of Madness and Everything Everywhere All At Once and The Flash (2023), though?