Page 37 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    There's nothing about Conner's character that require him to be white and if they do go with a non-white Luthor or even Clark it's almost a guarantee he won't be.

We have a Latinx Kara and host of other comic characters who have been made PoC in recent adaptions and this trend not going to stop as it hasn't negatively effected anything bar a bunch whiny bigots on YouTube.

If your still stuck in this mindset in 2023 then I don't what to tell you other than the future is here and it's past you by.
    This x100.

It occurred to me if this new DCU goes with a black/non-white Luthor that'll likely mean a potential Conner would be a PoC and I'd be down for that
    Dope cosplay.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Thst is one helliva snobby comment you made there,maybe you should not be so willing to be arrogant,and actually be at the very least willing to let others have their own opinions,without the insinuation thst they have to be racists if they don't agree with you in lock step.

Clark is a white guy,and Conner was made to look exactly like him,thst is enough right there to make him match what he has looked like in the past.

Plus just in the last 5 years we have had Young justice,Titans,reign of the supermen,teen titans go,even robot chicken all have him looking the same,thsts how you make a product recognizable,which in turn makes the company more $.

And your not racists for wanting what you have been reading for the last 30 years to jump off the page and be shown in other media the same way,thsts called.being a good fan,a loyal fan.

The Kara for the flash show has been getting a lot of negatives,anywhere between BLAH To "hey isn't thst superboy",I wouldn't use her as your trump.card.

Perry white ,commissioner gordon,and general Zod are good changes thst everyone liked,but that's because the actors were good,and mostly because they are side characters.

As I said before I'm not a racist because I want to see my comic character looking like the comic character in the comics,your post says more about you than me.
    Tell me. What about Kon being non-white would make you not enjoy his character if he was portrayed exactly the same as he was in the comics lore and personality wise or had a good performance like Perry or Jim Gordon?

Guys Conner is a clone designed to be a replica of Clark. That's part of his origin and I think that gets forgotten by many people. If Clark is black, then Conner is black. If Clark is asian, then Conner is Asian and so on. Conner is supposed to look like a teenaged Clark. Change Clark's appearance than you change Conner's. If Conner existed on Earth 23, he'd be a teenage clone of Calvin Ellis and thus would be black. He's different from Jon who has his own appearance which can very depending whatever his mother is portrayed as. If Lex or Cadmus weren't trying to replicate Clark but create something brand new than yeah he could be black since his appearance wouldn't be a factor.
    Last edited by 13th Superman; 03-04-2023 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Tell me. What about Kon being non-white would make you not enjoy his character if he was portrayed exactly the same as he was in the comics lore and personality wise or had a good performance like Perry or Jim Gordon?
    Comics are a visual medium. The appearance of the characters are as much a reason of why people like certain characters as the writing. That said Conner is going to look like whatever Clark is going to look like.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It occurred to me if this new DCU goes with a black/non-white Luthor that'll likely mean a potential Conner would be a PoC and I'd be down for that
    Reminds me of that YJ episode where Mal Duncan was dressed as classic Superboy.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    I can't speak for everyone, but for me. It's about the whole package. In prose, if the author stated their skin color, that's who the character is to me. If you changed their skin color, you created a whole new character. In comics, it matters more because American comics are usually colored, so if character is a certain skin-tone over the years, that's who they are. So to me a Black Clark Kent is not Clark Kent.

I just wanted to add, that's my opinion. If you want others to a Black Clark Kent, Conner Kent, etc. Go ahead. Enjoy it.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 03-04-2023 at 10:16 PM.

You know its good thing that Hollywood embracing colour blind casting because I think it's ultimately going to lead to a more open-minded and accepting generation of fans and audiences and anyone still against it at this point is going to be left on the wrong side of history I'm afraid.

If you can't accept a non-white Superboy/man it's racism, there's no ifs or buts about it nor can you reason your way out of it, you're essentially disregarding any non-white actors value regardless of talent or who these character are as people on a deeper level all to priorities skin colour/race which is a mindset very much at the core of racism.

I think it's a good thing I'm still exposed to "Yikes did they just say that" stuff like this thread as it's helped me reflect and outgrow a lot my old prejudices and antiquated thinking about race and casting. So while I might occasionally have a niggle in the back of my head over a black WonderMan being cast or a potentially a heavily race-swaped MCU X-men I see this stuff like this thread and I'm reminded "No this is not only a good thing but culturally necessary, keep bringing in more diversity"

I'm open to a POC actor playing Conner but I rather build up existing POC characters instead. That's more of a producer's job as screenwriting involves a lot of work for hire gigs. So the producers have to be willing to develop those characters rather than just taking the easy way out and race bending.

If you do have a POC Conner, you could just have POC Conner being an alternate universe Conner and they hang out via crossover.

Easy synergy.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-05-2023 at 12:28 PM.

Some.ppl on here never learn,and are stuck in defend or put right attack mode,it's pretty sad thst having a differing opinion automatically makes u racist,it's also sad when multiple ppl on here either are saying whatever superman is ,Conner is ,or what I see on my comic page is what I want to see,so ur pretty much calling everyone who has posted a racist.
    Pretty sad and distasteful comments here,calling others racists when they are not points the spotlight directly back on you as the person with all the hate inside them.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm open to a POC actor playing Conner but I rather build up existing POC characters instead. That's more of a producer's job as screenwriting involves a lot of work for hire gigs. So the producers have to be willing to develop those characters rather than just taking the easy way out and race bending.

If you do have a POC Conner, you could just have POC Conner being an alternate universe Conner and they hang out via crossover.

Easy synergy.
    Here is the big elephant in the room nobody talks about-what if I am NOT allowed to use those established POC???

I mean if DC REALLY wanted a black Superboy- Perry White's adopted son Keith Roberts (who has NOT been seen in comics for now 23 years) is out there and can be used. In a story that gave him powers.

Steel has a nephew. In fact he has one that was taken in by a villain.

Yet what happens when DC say NO to Keith or Jermal or Tyke. Along with no with having say Northwind or other established black characters in the cast. Along with NO to a newly created character?

Conner becomes black and hello usual suspects throwing temper tantrums and going after the actor and trying to make sure the movie flops.

Instead of calling out DC for not using who was already there. Because this has been an ongoing issue with characters being off limits and right issues (Static) were not the source.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Here is the big elephant in the room nobody talks about-what if I am NOT allowed to use those established POC???

I mean if DC REALLY wanted a black Superboy- Perry White's adopted son Keith Roberts (who has NOT been seen in comics for now 23 years) is out there and can be used. In a story that gave him powers.

Steel has a nephew. In fact he has one that was taken in by a villain.

Yet what happens when DC say NO to Keith or Jermal or Tyke. Along with no with having say Northwind or other established black characters in the cast. Along with NO to a newly created character?

Conner becomes black and hello usual suspects throwing temper tantrums and going after the actor and trying to make sure the movie flops.

Instead of calling out DC for not using who was already there. Because this has been an ongoing issue with characters being off limits and right issues (Static) were not the source.
    Honestly those three characters you pitched sound pretty cool. It's DC's fault for not using them better.

We don't talk about it because we don't have an answer. Fans are more reactive and shortsighted unless you wanna be a creative. Unless we all wanna go be the next Geoff John's/JJ abrams/Russell T Davies, there's not much we can really do longterm.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-05-2023 at 02:51 PM.

Wow. Are some of you purposefully talking past some of us? Look I'm a person of color full disclosure. I've been a fan of this guy for a real long time. I've said Conner is unique in that he is a clone of an individual. He was made to appear like another character. That's his origin. If the powers that be want a black Clark and if there's a Conner in that universe, he will be black too since he is designed to be him. He's not a biological son like Jon where you can take liberties with his appearance if say one or both of his parents are poc. Conner is a genetic experiment designed to replicate Kal-El. That's at his core in my opinion. You would have to change that part of his story. If they want to do that than fine but expect backlash. People love these characters and followed them for years. We have some bastards in fandom for sure but to paint anyone with a different opinion with a broad brush like that...That really needs to stop right now. The fact that you're throwing out accusations of racism while not really listening to some of the people here is seriously problematic. I've come up across actual racists in my life and I find it really offensive for you to casually throw that label around.

Look I found the real Luthor thst Conner has DNA from lol
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Look I found the real Luthor thst Conner has DNA from lol
    I wish that was canon.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I wish that was canon.

Omg I would die if they said Lenny messed up and lost lexs DNA and tried to cover his mistake with his own.

Kon was totally a mix of Clark and Lenny lol