Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    It was actually a deliberate homage to the earth angel. Tom King hinted at that at various times though I don't remember if he said it outright. DC acts like that character doesn't exist.

I hope they don't give her the gold weightlifter belt! It's ridiculous. At least it was eliminated by Dan Mora now.
    Yeah, that belt was wayyyy too big. And it wasn't much better in the ending suit.

Astonishing Member

I have no idea what prompted the artist to design such a huge belt. It stuck out like a sore thumb. I doubt very much that the movie will use the same look -- probably some amalgamation of her previous looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if they'll bring the skirt back for the movie.
    I would say not a chance in hell, but since they already went with pants for Calle perhaps they will bring back the skirt for the next Kara.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I would say not a chance in hell, but since they already went with pants for Calle perhaps they will bring back the skirt for the next Kara.
    I feel like there's a chance with Gunn in charge but you never know.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

They change it to a blue skirt like her very first appearance

Now that looks pretty good with the blue skirt

Hopefully they don't try to bring the WoT costume back.
    That scene where it was introduced was set around 200 years in the future (her teenage companion Ruthye had grown elderly), King and the artist never intended it to become her present day costume.

I like how you can tell the differences in their hair.
    Yeah, this is why Kara Danvers shouldn't have a bob haircut (at least not if Karen has one, which she usually does). Out of costume, she and Karen Starr should look otherwise pretty much identical, considering they're alternate universe counterparts of each other. Supergirl is just a bit younger than Power Girl, but they're at ages where that won't make much difference (Karen's not old enough to have gone wrinkly, and Supergirl's not a kid). You need a easy visual indicator to tell them apart.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 02-08-2023 at 05:19 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Just saw the legion movie, its fantastic.

Loved it, everyone was well designed and loved the voices.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That scene where it was introduced was set around 200 years in the future (her teenage companion Ruthye had grown elderly), King and the artist never intended it to become her present day costume.
    Yeah, I think this context gets forgotten. Like, why did they give her that look in other books like Dark Crisis?

Also, I had this thought when it debuted. Bilquis is an other-level artist and her version looked good (and again, in context). As soon as I saw the thing I wondered how it would look under someone else’s pen. Turns out, not great.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

This was cute. I guess I ship the two now lol.

You know, I kind of wish they brought back the pre-Crisis status quo of Kara having both her Kryptonian and and human parents around at the same time; that's a fascinating position that can't really fit with any other member of the Super-Family.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    You know, I kind of wish they brought back the pre-Crisis status quo of Kara having both her Kryptonian and and human parents around at the same time; that's a fascinating position that can't really fit with any other member of the Super-Family.
    I wonder if they'll ever bring the Danvers family back.

This was cute. I guess I ship the two now lol.
    Did you see them as a couple in DCAU?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I have no idea what prompted the artist to design such a huge belt. It stuck out like a sore thumb. I doubt very much that the movie will use the same look -- probably some amalgamation of her previous looks.
    Bilquis Evely wasn't the first with that belt design. John Romita Jr. was.

For instance, on his cover for Action 1028, released way back in 2020:

It was a distortion of the belt in the suit Jorge Jimenez designed, which was for the space arc. But before Jimenez's design saw publication, the yellow field was added back to the symbol. Otherwise, Kevin Maguire followed this design very closely as did the colorists - the blue skirt, the shape of the boots and the yellow soles. And the belt did become considerably bigger than the previous Rebirth design, but I think it's well-balanced and shows good taste, unlike Romita's version which is a crime against humanity!

I don't really keep up with Supergirl these days so I have a few questions; is the Supergirl that's appearing in the current comics the same Supergirl that was debuted by Jeph Loeb in the early 00's (or at least her but with a slightly altered history)? Is the Tom King book canon? Is that book her new origin story?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly