Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I don't really keep up with Supergirl these days so I have a few questions; is the Supergirl that's appearing in the current comics the same Supergirl that was debuted by Jeph Loeb in the early 00's (or at least her but with a slightly altered history)? Is the Tom King book canon? Is that book her new origin story?
    No, like so many other characters, it was a clean start in 2011 in the New 52. She arrives on earth in Supergirl #1.

I don't know if King's book is canon, and if it isn't, I'm not sure making a movie based on it would absolutely make it so. Depends on what kind of connections DC comics ends up having with the DCU, I guess.

I would guess the current DC editors have no idea what is in continuity, and they no longer seem to care much.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I don't really keep up with Supergirl these days so I have a few questions; is the Supergirl that's appearing in the current comics the same Supergirl that was debuted by Jeph Loeb in the early 00's (or at least her but with a slightly altered history)? Is the Tom King book canon? Is that book her new origin story?
    Nope, Kara has mostly kept her New 52 continuity intact. She’s nominally the same Kara who got the Red Lantern ring and what not.
    Yes it’s canon.
    I guess? King retells her origin there, and it’s mostly a modernized take on her original Pre-Crisis origin. Definitely will be defining her going forward I expect.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Nope, Kara has mostly kept her New 52 continuity intact. She’s nominally the same Kara who got the Red Lantern ring and what not.
    Yes it’s canon.
    I guess? King retells her origin there, and it’s mostly a modernized take on her original Pre-Crisis origin. Definitely will be defining her going forward I expect.
    Red Supergirl was awesome.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Bilquis Evely wasn't the first with that belt design. John Romita Jr. was.

For instance, on his cover for Action 1028, released way back in 2020:

It was a distortion of the belt in the suit Jorge Jimenez designed, which was for the space arc. But before Jimenez's design saw publication, the yellow field was added back to the symbol. Otherwise, Kevin Maguire followed this design very closely as did the colorists - the blue skirt, the shape of the boots and the yellow soles. And the belt did become considerably bigger than the previous Rebirth design, but I think it's well-balanced and shows good taste, unlike Romita's version which is a crime against humanity!

I found the JR Jr art in those arcs distracting and off putting. Don’t even get me started on how Red Cloud looked. The early versions looked cool but JR Jr made her look like anything but a cloud.

More Jimenez SG:

F3A2AA8A-52E8-4D9E-88E1-ABFB9135366F.jpg
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    A movie bump doesn't hurt...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A movie bump doesn't hurt...
    Haven’t seen a bump this crazy since Wandavision.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    I found the JR Jr art in those arcs distracting and off putting. Don’t even get me started on how Red Cloud looked. The early versions looked cool but JR Jr made her look like anything but a cloud.

More Jimenez SG:

F3A2AA8A-52E8-4D9E-88E1-ABFB9135366F.jpg
    I was trying to find a URL with the final properly-colored design, to attach the link, and never found one. When I post image files, they end up looking very small. But here's an image with the final design they used - same as the first one above, with the blue skirt, but this time with the yellow in the S shield. I hope it's not too small to see.

Supergirl Jorge Jimenez.jpg

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

I was trying to find a URL with the final properly-colored design, to attach the link, and never found one. When I post image files, they end up looking very small.
    Untick the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" box when you attach the image.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

If true, I find this news highly disappointing....not unexpected, but definitely disappointing. I never expected Gunn to have any kind of grasp on DC's stable of characters and this seems to prove that theory correct.

https://www.cbr.com/supergirl-starti...rong-foot-dcu/

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    If true, I find this news highly disappointing....not unexpected, but definitely disappointing. I never expected Gunn to have any kind of grasp on DC's stable of characters and this seems to prove that theory correct.

Besides the Marvel Guardians stuff ,Gunns DC work is more in line with "effed up" imo,what do you all expect?

And yeah this isn't my 1st choice either
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Well, seems several of Gunn's successes as a filmmaker... were because the producers told him he wasn't allowed to ruin it.

I was trying to find a URL with the final properly-colored design, to attach the link, and never found one. When I post image files, they end up looking very small. But here's an image with the final design they used - same as the first one above, with the blue skirt, but this time with the yellow in the S shield. I hope it's not too small to see.

Supergirl Jorge Jimenez.jpg
    I'd take this over her recent "pants" designs in a heartbeat.

Have you read WoT? If you have, Gunn is clearly referring to the trauma Kara went through.
    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well, seems several of Gunn's successes as a filmmaker... were because the producers told him he wasn't allowed to ruin it.
    No one knows what you’re talking about dude. You keep making these vague allusions to “knowing” stuff about Gunn BTS, spill already.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by StarSpangledMan View Post
    Untick the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" box when you attach the image.
    Thanks. When I link URLs, I can clear that box - and in fact, I usually have to, because otherwise I get the error that the image is too big. But with the small ones - those are where I couldn't find a direct link to the jpg, so I save the image as a file on my computer. Then I upload the file here - and that's when they can end up being very small.