Page 1 of 73 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Superman Rogues Gallery Appreciation 2023

Thread for talking about all the villains we love to hate. Especially this guy:

Comics wise next year is going to give Superman’s Rogues plenty of attention they’ve sorely needed. Williamson’s Superman is advertised as kicking off with Lex, Livewire, Parasite, Silver Banshee, and Bizarro all being involved. Over in PKJ’s Action Comics it’s Metallo who is getting upgraded into a much greater threat thanks to tech from Warworld. PKJ has also stated interest in Mxy, Maxima, Bizarro, and has said he does have a big Brainiac story he wants to do, plus an idea for how to turn Toyman into a Riddler type foe for Superman. After Metallo the next Action arc will also feature a revamp of a classic Superman Rogue.

Outside of comics S&L S3 will feature Mannheim and Intergang plus Lex Luthor played by a new actor, MAWS will debut and officially has confirmed that Brainiac is in the show, and Mongul will assuredly be the main foe of the upcoming JL: Warworld animated movie. For video games Mxy will be the main bad guy of Outright Games JL game, while Brainiac will fill that role for Rocksteady’s Suicide Squad.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm such a weird Superman fan dude. I absolutely hate that bald f*@k so much.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I tend to find Lex Luthor over played. The only really interesting time I found him was the Cornell stories. I love that the new series will find some new focus for Livewire, Banshee and some others. I'm looking forward to seeing villains other than Lex on the board.

Incredible Member

Well, breaking the seeming tendency in this thread, I am a big fan of Lex, but I wouldn't mind if he were sidelined for a while longer to focus on re-vamping the rest of the Rogues Gallery. I have great expectations of what PKJ may do with Metallo, a character's who's always on the verge of something interesting but, other than maybe the Bronze Age Roger Corben stories, never quite gets there. PKJ's interpretation of Mongul was good although didn't fully succeed in its goals IMHO, but I'm regardless very optimistic regarding his handling of Metallo. And here's hoping whatever villains he uses for the teased Phantom Zone arc live up to the hype!

As for Williamson's Superman run, I don't expect anything revelatory as far as the villains go, but simply using them in this short arc format already gives them more solo exposure than they normally get as of late. His teased "Anti-Hero" Marilyn Moonlight has a pitch that immediately makes me go cynical, but the design is awesome, the Venom-like powers look fun in that one cover, and depending on whether the name "The Spirit of Metropolis actually mean something or is just a codename, could bring some interesting ideas.

Happy New Year to one of the most eclectic and cool Rogues Galleries in comics .

Will we get Lobo in Superman’s comics if Gunn is indeed planning to use him in his reboot I wonder?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Will we get Lobo in Superman’s comics if Gunn is indeed planning to use him in his reboot I wonder?
    They should give him a Black Label series that just goes all out in the gore and spectacle

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    They should give him a Black Label series that just goes all out in the gore and spectacle
    They tried something like that with Seeley’s Superman vs. Lobo BL series. Unfortunately it wasn’t very good, at least we got some cool covers out of it. Maybe PKJ or Williamson will use him in their books.

Hoping 2023 will be an eventful year for those who oppose The Man of Steel

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-08-2023 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They tried something like that with Seeley’s Superman vs. Lobo BL series. Unfortunately it wasn’t very good, at least we got some cool covers out of it. Maybe PKJ or Williamson will use him in their books.
    I remember that. Yeah it was really disappointed especially from the first BL Superman series in a while.

A waste of a good Lobo.

Metallo's modern origin story is pretty cool
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CosmeticSkull; 01-01-2023 at 09:35 PM.

Lex Luthor is so different from all the other Superman enemies that he deserves his own appreciation thread while the rest get their shine here.

I miss classic Maxima.