Page 59 of 73 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369 ... LastLast

Underrated aspect of New 52 Brainiac was how they portrayed him as an evil Jor-El figure. Would like to see that return.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Well, if Mx return, he could access the next level of malignancy:

Heh not to take away from Curt Swan’s legendary status but his art here didn’t really live up to how Moore was describing the transformation.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Tony Bedard is particularly good with the Brainiac family and it was a rare kind of excellent to bring him in to rehab the character.

That origin was based off his post Crisis one, actually.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Poor man zod has arrived in World's Finest
    25.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Venomized-spider-man View Post
    25.jpg
    yeah I didnt know who he was had to google him up real quick I'm guessing as a kid I didn't watch him episodes
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    yeah I didnt know who he was had to google him up real quick I'm guessing as a kid I didn't watch him episodes
    Jax-Ur? it's a short list.

OG Jax-Ur was in 1961 actually. DCAU was in the 90s, but only had 3 actual episodes with Jax-Ur. Apparently there was several more in tie-in comics though.

25.jpg
    Didn't see that coming!

It was weird, he was exactly the Zod they prefer to have and I don't think there was a reason why they didn't actually use Zod

25.jpg
    Yeah my reaction was “oh… this is who you chose Waid?” Guess Waid couldn’t pass up the chance to play with a Silver Age villain but it shows the difference between him and Morrison. Morrison really revamped Xa while Waid is just using the DCAU incarnation, when that was never the greatest take.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It was weird, he was exactly the Zod they prefer to have and I don't think there was a reason why they didn't actually use Zod
    The mandate regarding Superman having to be the Last Son of Krypton (so no other Kryptonians) was still in effect at the time. That’s why they couldn’t use Zod and Ursa and made Jax and Mala into stand-ins.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

To think it wasn't Williamson who used a DCAU pull .

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah my reaction was “oh… this is who you chose Waid?” Guess Waid couldn’t pass up the chance to play with a Silver Age villain but it shows the difference between him and Morrison. Morrison really revamped Xa while Waid is just using the DCAU incarnation, when that was never the greatest take.

The mandate regarding Superman having to be the Last Son of Krypton (so no other Kryptonians) was still in effect at the time. That’s why they couldn’t use Zod and Ursa and made Jax and Mala into stand-ins.
    But Jax Ur was a Kryptonian from the comics so it was the same thing lol. Right before they decided Zod was an Eastern European who molded his face to look like Superman. Funny times

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    But Jax Ur was a Kryptonian from the comics so it was the same thing lol. Right before they decided Zod was an Eastern European who molded his face to look like Superman. Funny times
    I just double checked his DCAU backstory and he was a Kryptonian it seems. No clue why they went with him since he was basically Zod, I guess DC didn’t let them for some reason, because he is basically Zod with Jax’s name. Bizarre decision process there.

I just double checked his DCAU backstory and he was a Kryptonian it seems. No clue why they went with him since he was basically Zod, I guess DC didn’t let them for some reason, because he is basically Zod with Jax’s name. Bizarre decision process there.
    My guess is they just wanted to do an homage to the movie, not a direct recreation.... and had Sara Douglas play Mala... because why not?

I could be wrong, but for my understanding, Jax-Ur was the usual enemy from the phantom zone in the silver age. Zod started to have recognition after the 1978 movie but before that the enemy from the Phantom Zone was Jax-Ur. He appeared more, he was the one who haunted more Superboy/Superman, everything Zod became in the movie, Jax-Ur was it before, during the Silver age, in the comics.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I could be wrong, but for my understanding, Jax-Ur was the usual enemy from the phantom zone in the silver age. Zod started to have recognition after the 1978 movie but before that the enemy from the Phantom Zone was Jax-Ur. He appeared more, he was the one who haunted more Superboy/Superman, everything Zod became in the movie, Jax-Ur was it before, during the Silver age, in the comics.
    Correct. Jax-Ur embodied the "Evil Kryptonian" trope way before Zod, even if Zod - technically speaking - was created a bit before.
    In the Silver Age, Jax-Ur was a bald Kryptonian with a moustache whose experiments had destroyed one of Krypton's moon; he had been the first prisoner in the Phantom Zone, too (this detail was changed in recent years, when Morrison made Xa-Du the first Zoner - maybe to give the Phantom King a specific, Zone-related set of powers). He was the most recurring Zone criminal, followed by many other Zoners whose powers vaguely differed from him.

It should be noticed that most of the Phantom Zoners, Jax-Ur included, didn't even have a specific characterization. Zod's most defining traits came from Superman II and Terence Stamp's over-the-top, flamboyant style. From that moment on, Zod became THE "evil Kryptonian" (even if visually speaking he was a bit different from Terence Stamp) and Jax-Ur was more or less forgotten. His only remarkable reintroduction was in the DCAU, but this version of Jax-Ur, which is the same version reused by Waid, was basically Zod with a different name (even if in the DCAU comic book tie-ins they actually reintroduced a version of Zod: https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Zod_(DCAU))

When Johns took over with the the Last Son storyline, Zod was made more similar to the Superman II version, but in one specific panel Johns also reintroduced Jax-Ur as the first Zoner (and the explosion of Krypton's moon was supposed to be related to Kandor's disappearance, even if this plot line was later discarded). In the New Krypton storyline there was a more substantial reintroduction of Jax-Ur, this time as a one-eyed scientist rather than a soldier. This specific version was abandoned until Bendis somehow reintroduced him (with two eyes though) in his Rogol Zaar storyline.

The most bizarre aspect in World's Finest 18 is not that Waid reintroduced Jax-Ur (it is a typical Silver Age concept after all, and we all know how much Waid loves classic characters), but that he decided to use a specific version of the character that has never been used in the comic books before, and probably the least interesting one. I guess that Waid wanted to pay homage to Silver Age Jax-Ur, but the deliberately chose not to revamp him visually and simply decided to follow the DCAU version, which is the least obscure one today.
    Last edited by Myskin; 08-16-2023 at 12:34 AM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Yeah I could understand Waid using a Jax that leans more into him being a science terrorist (even though I would prefer Xa-Du for that role given Morrison’s revamp is superior to any Jax I’ve read), but the DCAU Jax… is just straight up Zod: https://dcau.fandom.com/wiki/Jax-Ur

Same backstory of being the leader of the Kryptonian military, launching a coup, but getting imprisoned by Jor. There was nothing from the Silver Age in him, plus Mala was a clear Ursa stand in too, so they must have wanted to use Zod but were blocked. As for Pre-Crisis Zod, Jax may have been used more but Zod was the leader of the evil Kryptonian Zoners in Gerber’s Phantom Zone mini:

Such a great story, and still one of Zod’s best.