Page 33 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

When's the last issue for this series coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    When's the last issue for this series coming out?
    August 1st I believe
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

And after all this time we’ve achieved nothing.

With it being over in a couple weeks, this would be a good time to announce what they have next for the character if there is anything in the pipeline

Astonishing Member

I guess it depends on sales, I wonder how it went.
    I have a feeling, that at this point they don't really know what to do with Jon, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I have a feeling, that at this point they don't really know what to do with Jon, to be honest.
    Thats what makes me curious.

Currently they are pretty much throwing everything at Jon and see what sticks. Currently its giving him Blue powers and Taylor engaging in Injustice tourism to drum up last remaining sales.

If we get a new book announced then that could mean they are still throwing gimmicks at Jon to make him work, but if a new book isn't announced that could mean they've given up Jon's current Superman thing like they are already doing with Jace Fox's whole attempt at being Batman.

Incredible Member

Jon's not the same as Jace, though. He's Superman's son, who still lives in his house (unlike the batkids), in an era of Superman books that is emphasizing the secondary Super-verse heroes more than before. Even his boyfriend has now branched into another book (Steelworks). Jon's still going to be featured in some way.

I'd wait until the SDCC and the upcoming solicits before wondering if they're shelving Jon's solo book for the time being. It's possible he's going to be reduced to supporting character status in PKJ's Action Comics and have to fight for panels like everyone else. But even if they've given up on Jon as a solo hero (and I do think they'll try it with a non-Taylor writer before giving up), I wouldn't be surprised if he's paired with Damian again in a relaunched Super-Sons book or something. Was PKJ still trying to get an Authority book made?

Astonishing Member

He needs someone new to handle him, Taylor isn't doing any favors for his character currently, he's just Tim Drake of Superman family at this point, where he just doesn't have anything, except being bi. I'm not saying about de-aging or something like that, but, something has to be done. If Gunn had plans for him, then they would at least have the motivation to do something with him, but, unfortunately, Jon does not have such a luxury.
    I read on 4chan about two months ago (so take this with a lot of skepticism) that King planned to write Super Sons maxi, so, who knows, maybe that's what will be announced at SDCC.
    Last edited by Morgoth; 07-15-2023 at 12:09 PM.

Jon doesn't need much to get going : Superman but more radical, ie Golden Age Superman in a new package, fit for the modern fights he has to fight (like the tidal wave of Reactionnaries trying to destroy all the social advances made since WWII).

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Generally I really like Taylor's writing, however his handling of Jon has been....lackluster. I would say give him a rest, let him hang out in Action for a while and then give him to someone else to write. Jay has not proven popular (so no idea why they moved him to Steelworks) and some things need to settle a little before giving him a new direction. I would use his current mini to give him a more proactive ideology, not necessarily more violent but definitely less restrained. Personally I would lean into his blue powers a little more than Taylor has done. He was given a fantastic opportunity to be creative with the character and it's just fizzled.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Jon needs his own team(not the Revolutionaires)to play off of. People dislike Jay, but he's a start, dude has enough shadiness to test Jon's ideals without being full villain. Jon should interact with people who have a radically different view of justice or no/ a dim view of the justice due to their circumstances.

I really hate this learned helplessness that Jon HAS to be Superman and isn't going to be anything else. You'd think that after over 5 years they'd have found something that would've justified the unnecessary making him as Superman and they haven't done anything with him that isn't just Clark with a new coat of paint.

"No, trust me you guys, THIS time we got it!" has been DC's refrain after every attempt to salvage him ever since he was aged up and none of it has worked because you wouldn't have to do that if you thought there wasn't anything wrong or broken that needed fixing with the character you're giving a major push. At this point, what makes you think they are going to come up with anything different?

Jon as Superman is not a good or sustainable idea without decades of prior publication history establishing him as a character and not as a role that is already filled. You're trying to build on a foundation that just isn't there because DC skipped making it (but can always go back and start back up where they left of and it's ignorant to think they can't).

You know in your heart of hearts what the problem is and what it is that solves it.

Jon is Superboy. He is bisexual. We want to take our time with this character and see him grow up over years and decades.
    Last edited by garazza; 07-15-2023 at 10:19 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Has there already been anything announced for more of Jon's Superman in the future ?
    We might have to wait for this Knight Terror thing to end
    Then more of the Dawn of DC map will expand and reveal to us.

I think most of the problems for Jon is that they keep failling to the same fallacy as for Clark : he needs more/unique powers they believe.

When he doesn't. He needs to be the Champion of the Oppressed of our age, the Golden Age to contrast with his father's Silver Ag/Modern Age take.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    I really hate this learned helplessness that Jon HAS to be Superman and isn't going to be anything else. You'd think that after over 5 years they'd have found something that would've justified the unnecessary making him as Superman and they haven't done anything with him that isn't just Clark with a new coat of paint.

"No, trust me you guys, THIS time we got it!" has been DC's refrain after every attempt to salvage him ever since he was aged up and none of it has worked because you wouldn't have to do that if you thought there wasn't anything wrong or broken that needed fixing with the character you're giving a major push. At this point, what makes you think they are going to come up with anything different?

Jon as Superman is not a good or sustainable idea without decades of prior publication history establishing him as a character and not as a role that is already filled. You're trying to build on a foundation that just isn't there because DC skipped making it (but can always go back and start back up where they left of and it's ignorant to think they can't).

You know in your heart of hearts what the problem is and what it is that solves it.

Jon is Superboy. He is bisexual. We want to take our time with this character and see him grow up over years and decades.
    Exactly. Readers don't care about Teen Jon because they have no reason to care. He's just a carbon copy of his dad that dropped in out of nowhere...and are constantly told how great he is. All of the 5G characters have faded away because they don't have a real purpose...they were created to replace characters that will never be truly replaced. DC should've just given them all an Earth 5G and let Jon grow up naturally.