Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    They are superhero parents (well Superman is)

Most if not all super parents are technically guilty of child endangerment, Clark and Lois aren't anymore bad than most super-parents
    Their kid was kidnapped and tortured for 7 years. They handed him over to a kidnapper. They are shit parents

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Their kid was kidnapped and tortured for 7 years. They handed him over to a kidnapper. They are shit parents
    I hate Bendis' run on Superman

This is the only thing his run deserves to be remembered for and by remembered I mean scorn

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am talking about comics as well.The marriage is just another status quo or billing.It wasn't a character development.It might have been,during the triangle era.But that did not happen.did it? Superman got married when his tv counter part got married.

They are trying to give jon some dumb pathos.. that's it.
    That's not true. Brian Cronin spoke about that in one of his comic urban legends:

COMIC URBAN LEGEND: The Super-books were not going to marry Clark and Lois until the TV show got involved.

[...]The Super-books at one point did a storyline where Lois and Clark break up.

However, it was then announced that Clark and Lois would be getting married on the TV show, Lois and Clark: The Adventures of Superman, so the comics quickly had to catch up, so eight months after the broke up, they both got BACK together and were quickly married.

So it certainly looked like the TV show forced the comic into marrying the couple. In truth, though, it was actually almost the exact OPPOSITE.

[...] As Carlin put it, "DC's decision was that it would be a good idea to hold off the wedding and do it at the same time as the TV show, if it got that far."

So the creative team was left with a story vacuum. Despite the fact that the wedding was on hold the teams still needed to produce stories to fill the comics to put on out to the stands. The solution came from something that had become a running gag at the Super Summits. Mike Carlin told Comics Scene Magazine in 1993, "This isn't the first Superman meeting where somebody said, 'Let's kill him off'

[...] it was a push by the TV show that got Clark and Lois married, but not before the TV show KEPT them from being married!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    That's not true. Brian Cronin spoke about that in one of his comic urban legends:
    I knew that.that's why i said "it(development) might have been during the triangle".Here it Still doesn't seem like story character development since the creative aren't making the decisions.Dc is.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Even Batman tries to not send his youngest into the care of known terrorists (blood relations or not). And he's one of the worst ones. .
    That's 100% untrue.

Batman has sent his youngest back into the care of known Terrorists. Twice. He did this even knowing that the kid was being horribly abused [emotionally and physically] by those terrorists.

Batman has sent his youngest to go confront his evil granddad, a meta and a city full of villains while he chilled on the beach.

Batman has sat back and watched while others blamed his youngest for the death of a beloved family member when the truth was that Batman was the one who came up with the plan that killed Alfred.

Batman has gaslit his youngest into believing he was responsible for the death of their grandfather [Alfred] even though Bruce was the one who ordered Damian to enter the City of Bane.

Batman has returned an orphan he adopted back to the orphanage like he was an item of clothing.

Batman has tried to force his older son to relieve his worst day just so he could get clues to save his youngest.

Clark and Lois messed up but to even ever try to say that they are Batman levels of bad/neglectful parenting requires us to ignore everything in DC canon.

To claim that they are worse than Bruce is straight trolling.

Bruce has the high ground!
    Jor El was a suspected bad guy. The Al Ghuls are actual bad guys, they spent 10 years conditioning a child into a killer, Ra's wanted to use Damian's as his host. Bruce knew all this and still had no qualms with sending Damian back to go live with them and he has the high ground. Really.

Come on. That's BS and you know it.
    Last edited by CPSparkles; 01-25-2023 at 05:38 AM.

And now their actively attempting to make themselves feel better about that fuck up by replacing him with do over adopted children while actively ignoring how deeply they fucked up to begin with.

My main beef with Jon as he is now is his unrealistic well adjusted mindset he should be pissed with Clark & Lois rightfully so & it’s never addressed how mad he should really be, Bendis had him return all smiles, & Tom Taylor just keeps him the epitome of Boy Scout perfection with no genuine realistic human emotion despite his whole mantra being he’s human too it’s dumb!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I hate Bendis' run on Superman

This is the only thing his run deserves to be remembered for and by remembered I mean scorn
    That and the ID reveal will be what the run will be remembered for, regardless of one’s feelings on the run itself. Although the reveal may be more forgotten as time passes after the secret ID got restored anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    My main beef with Jon as he is now is his unrealistic well adjusted mindset he should be pissed with Clark & Lois rightfully so & it’s never addressed how mad he should really be, Bendis had him return all smiles, & Tom Taylor just keeps him the epitome of Boy Scout perfection with no genuine realistic human emotion despite his whole mantra being he’s human too it’s dumb!
    I wonder how often they’ll actually reference the whole thing, other than occasional quips like in the recent book where he somewhat jokingly said he hated volcanos.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Astonishing Member

Jon wasn't inside the volcano for seven years. He escaped at some point and had adventures in Earth-3 for a while.

The way it was handled it's still pretty bad

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am talking about comics as well.The marriage is just another status quo or billing.It wasn't a character development.It might have been,during the triangle era.But that did not happen.did it?Superman got married when his tv counter part got married.

They are trying to give jon some dumb pathos.. that's it.
    Not sure I'm buying that.

Jon was an only child. Jon is still very much a teenager and wasn't consulted when Lois and Clark made their decision to adopt those kids. That's not pathos. That's just being a kid. Just like Dick isn't as much of a jerk as Bruce is, Jon isn't as much of a saint as Clark. It's fine to have situations like this that draw out a bit of drama and allow characters to have human feelings about things. For the longest time, the Super Family really just consisted of Clark, Lois, and Jon. Kara and Conner weren't around much, Kenan wasn't a thing, and Steel and Natasha were doing their own things. Now they're basically uniting into their own familial Superteam.

And on the bright side, now Lois and Clark can have super powered play dates with Alicia and Ben while Jon attempts to hang out with his flaming namesake.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I am not going to debate whether they handle the situation with Jon well but in real life, many people go through traumatic events and 'move on' as if nothing happened until something triggers a different response.

This is called the fawn response, where a person who experiences trauma exhibit people-pleasing and engages in pacifying behaviors to the degree of forgetting yourself entirely. We have seen this with Jon overworking himself to the point of 'overheating' and putting himself and others in danger, we could argue about how well it was written to show that some of this behaviour is related to his trauma but I just dislike the concept that human behaviour is formulaic.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoryD View Post
    Not sure I'm buying that.

Jon was an only child. Jon is still very much a teenager and wasn't consulted when Lois and Clark made their decision to adopt those kids. That's not pathos. That's just being a kid. Just like Dick isn't as much of a jerk as Bruce is, Jon isn't as much of a saint as Clark. It's fine to have situations like this that draw out a bit of drama and allow characters to have human feelings about things. For the longest time, the Super Family really just consisted of Clark, Lois, and Jon. Kara and Conner weren't around much, Kenan wasn't a thing, and Steel and Natasha were doing their own things. Now they're basically uniting into their own familial Superteam.

And on the bright side, now Lois and Clark can have super powered play dates with Alicia and Ben while Jon attempts to hang out with his flaming namesake.
    lol, they are kind of ripping off Fantastic Four, aren't they?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Gunn announced a Batman film with Damian as the Robin. So hopefully we could get John in a Supesons film and a less crappy timeskip.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Gunn announced a Batman film with Damian as the Robin. So hopefully we could get John in a Supesons film and a less crappy timeskip.
    Are they not going with a younger version of Superman that is still early in his career ?

I have a feeling that the Batman and Robin movie will end up in a different universe than Superman: Legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    Are they not going with a younger version of Superman that is still early in his career ?

I have a feeling that the Batman and Robin movie will end up in a different universe than Superman: Legacy.
    They are but it's just a thought I had. I rather skip young Clark for Conner, Kenan and the others. But maybe Gunn will change my mind like Reeves did with Batman.

Oh well there's always Superman and Lois.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-01-2023 at 08:17 AM.