Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    He can be a kid and still be bland..Later supersons books very much went nowhere.Jon wasn't very great either.There are easy fixes..Making him a kid is just surface level though.
    Then have him grow up normally like Damian.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Then have him grow up normally like Damian.
    Damian grew up? He's 14... There is no way the 500th robin is gonna be aged up while bruce wayne is around.I can only agree that they didn't fully explore jon as a kid and have him adventure in dc.The only reason jon was aged was cause clark kent unlike bruce wayne is more Expendable.DC thought superman the brand,the symbol..etc can be kept.while modernising the character.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-23-2023 at 07:56 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

He can be a kid and still be bland..Later supersons books very much went nowhere.Jon wasn't very great either.There are easy fixes..Making him a kid is just surface level though.
    The fix is to bridge the divide in his fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    The fix is to bridge the divide in his fandom.
    His fandom is insignificant..both sides.Jon doesn't pull-in that much numbers.company is looking for good stories for other medium and ip protection.they built superman a certain way.But the problem is the can't sell it now.So they been throwing everything including kitchen sink to make a character that is relevant and sells.worse the character can't escape that mold cause the whole culture around the character which the writer is also part off shoves him the other way.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-23-2023 at 08:03 PM.

Damian grew up? He's 14...
    When he was introduced, he was ten or eleven. That's more than most of DC's characters in the past two decades.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Honestly the fix is just keep him a kid and then just have him grow organically like any other character

He'd be written by other writhers, he'd do stuff and get into new situations, he might grow incrementally ya know it is a journey and his personality as a kid was already entertaining enough so I don't understand him being "stale" since most characters have a set personality they stick by. Gu Gardner is fun as hell exactly because his personality is always a headstrong Pitbull.

Bendis' age-up was too much too fast, going from a young child pre-teen to a young adult, it was too much
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 01-23-2023 at 08:29 PM.

Mighty Member

His fandom is insignificant..both sides.Jon doesn't pull-in that much numbers.company is looking for good stories for other medium and ip protection.they built superman a certain way.But the problem is the can't sell it now.So they been throwing everything including kitchen sink to make a character that is relevant and sells.worse the character can't escape that mold cause the whole culture around the character which the writer is also part off shoves him the other way.
    Agreed, both kid Jon and Teen Jon fandom are pretty insignificant but what the company will be looking at it what sells. I have been looking at the trade numbers and in both paper/hard back and digital so far Teen Jon books has been doing better than Super Sons. I was actually surprised by this as I though the recent Super Sons movie would increase sales for Super Son trades.

When he was introduced, he was ten or eleven. That's more than most of DC's characters in the past two decades.
    Illusion of change is not change.He might as well be 10

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Illusion of change is not change.He might as well be 10
    So you have never seen a single recent appearance of Damian then.

Damian may have an issue with snapping back on his flaws every now and then, but to say he has not changed at all from when Morrison first wrote him is flat out wrong.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 01-23-2023 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    So you have never seen a single recent appearance of Damian then.

Damian may have an issue with snapping back on his flaws every now and then, but to say he has not changed at all from when Morrison first wrote him is flat out wrong.
    any changes he goes through it gets reverted back.A character's how should i put it? "quirks" gets diluted in time or even gets changed.It is not "developement" in comics.It's purely marketing or even wrestling style "billing".for instance,jason todd the hated robin who became a successuful death event and later on great anti-thesis to batman.Superman's own "billing" is another example.Various hulk incarnations.ofcourse there is also things like flanderisation and reverse of it.

I guess what i am saying is, character development in comics isn't a thing.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-23-2023 at 11:47 PM.

any changes he goes through it gets reverted back.A character's how should i put it? "quirks" gets diluted in time or even gets changed.It is not "developement" in comics.It's purely marketing or even wrestling style "billing".for instance,jason todd the hated robin who became a successuful death event and later on great anti-thesis to batman.Superman's own "billing" is another example.Various hulk incarnations.ofcourse there is also things like flanderisation and reverse of it.

I guess what i am saying is, character development in comics isn't a thing.
    And you are welcome to think that.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Yep. The problem for Teen Jon...is that his entire reason for existence was dependent on the canned 5G initiative. He was meant to replace his father after Clark died permanently. This was something that never would've worked in the main continuity...so the character has no real purpose. When they created the 4 Supermen in Reign of the Supermen...they made sure to make each of them interesting and unique..so that when Clark came back they'd still have a purpose. Teen Jon doesn't have that.
    Worse, his existence has a knock on effect on other characters. He was born after Lois and Clark's wedding obviously, and that was after Clark's resurrection post-Death of Superman. Conner debuted in Death of Superman, so shouldn't he be 11 years older now (the age Jon was pre-age-up) than he was when he debuted? Same goes for the rest of Young Justice. They're still depicted as teenagers. Jon should, in fact, only be 11 now even WITH the age-up. Five years passing would make the YJ kids 21, which makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Now making him Blue Superman, isn't only re-doing what Clark did, but what kid-Jon already did as well. All they keep doing is retreading.
    True, didn't they do Blue/Red Jon in Adventures of the Super Sons?

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    He better cuss Clark & Lois Tf out for having the audacity to bring kids up in his space after screwing him out of his own childhood & now basically replacing his lost years with a pair of Orphan Annies, cuss them both TF out.
    He said he was happy for them as they're getting the best parents in the world. Wouldn't surprise me if he's actually jealous though!

Yeah, take Stargirl. 15 I think when she debuted in the 90s. Same generation as Young Justice. Still only 16 now, but she should've graduated school by now at least. If Damian has aged four years since 2009, why is Courtney no older now than she was in 1998? Like the Young Justice kids, she ought to be in her 20s now. They're not aging the teen characters up at the same rate.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Kid Jon gets a segment of Today's Action comic issue. It follows Jurgen's work on the 30th anniversary special.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    And you are welcome to think that.
    I don't expect Garfield to learn to appreciate jon more.well i do.But then Garfield being an ******* is what the franchise is built on.Why do you think lois matters so much for superman fandom?simple. the love triangle is what superman franchise is built around and focused on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Kid Jon gets a segment of Today's Action comic issue. It follows Jurgen's work on the 30th anniversary special.
    And here is an interview with Dan and Lee to celebrate the return of our prince

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/01/24/su...n-comics-1051/
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 01-24-2023 at 08:24 AM.