Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN! TIME TO BREAK OUT THE GIF!

I just want to register a few things.

AoS is finishing in August and the last issue will have a variant cover that features Jon as a kid.

I wouldn't have thought too much about a cover like that (SOKE #1 has a variant with him as a kid too) but I remembered that the Super Sons omnibus is getting a reprint in October.

Again, I wouldn't have thought too much of it because I doubt the conclusion of his mini and a reprint were meant to coincide with one another with a two month gap separating the two.

But Batman & Robin is getting relaunched in September, so that does bridge that two month gap with both halves of the Super Sons having some major things happening to them in the same general time frame that would lead up to their omnibus getting a reprint.

The more conspiracy side of my brain wants to make more of this because I've been noticing a real lack of aged up Jon in much of anything. He isn't mentioned in any solicits, from Knights Terrors tie-ins to the Doomsday special (his AC backup is Doomsday-adjacent), and he hasn't been in the newer group shots DC uses as promo material and here he is showing up as a kid on a variant cover.

His mini is ending, the SS omnibus is getting a reprint in October, and he's been very obviously missing from their promotional material towards the end of summer and start of fall. So what are the plans DC has for Jon?

Could be nothing. Could be something. idk I'm just grasping at straws here.

IDK what DC’s plans for Jon are but I do think it’s hysterical how he’s currently getting dragged on Twitter over the fact he’s had 6 super suits & they just released that image with all 4 versions of the character up to his now blue form & people are going in on the fact nothing with Jon feels earned.

I also think it should be noted the main takeaway from the last issue of his comic is people enjoyed him & Damian being the same age again to the point Taylor himself even pointed this out in the issue, & DC is too stubborn to just give everyone the happy medium that’s clearly needed with this character put Jon to 14 same age as Damian if not a year younger & you keep all the “work” that’s been done with him up to this point he gets his childhood back & readers can watch him grow from a happy medium, only issue with this is you have to break up him & Jay but guess what no one will really give AF the moment he gets another paramour fixing Jon is so simple someone just needs to pull the f*cking trigger also what is the point of his current run!?
    Last edited by Journey; 05-19-2023 at 10:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    IDK what DC’s plans for Jon are but I do think it’s hysterical how he’s currently getting dragged on Twitter over the fact he’s had 6 super suits & they just released that image with all 4 versions of the character up to his now blue form & people are going in on the fact nothing with Jon feels earned.

I also think it should be noted the main takeaway from the last issue of his comic is people enjoyed him & Damian being the same age again to the point Taylor himself even pointed this out in the issue, & DC is too stubborn to just give everyone the happy medium that’s clearly needed with this character put Jon to 14 same age as Damian if not a year younger & you keep all the “work” that’s been done with him up to this point he gets his childhood back & readers can watch him grow from a happy medium, only issue with this is you have to break up him & Jay but guess what no one will really give AF the moment he gets another paramour fixing Jon is so simple someone just needs to pull the f*cking trigger also what is the point of his current run!?
    Honestly its likely they are just holding off on announcing anything until Adventure ends because they don't want to diminish their own product.

Its like how WB only has nothing but praise for the Flash movie but they are very tight lipped on whether Miller will continue being Flash or not. Chances are they are most likely out as Flash but WB won't state that until after release cause they don't want to do anything that might in some way sabotage their own film.

So DC is probably just waiting out Adventure getting fully published to get as much money as they can and then after its over announce whatever direction they are planning with Jon.

Astonishing Member

Perhaps they just didn't find the new creative team yet. Damian also has the big time gap between Batman vs Robin final issue and his new series from Williamson.
    I guess there's indeed some issues with his direction, because decision to make him Superman was made way before Gunn came into the picture with his DCU plans. So I guess they still figure out what to do with him.
    Last edited by Morgoth; 05-20-2023 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post

AoS is finishing in August and the last issue will have a variant cover that features Jon as a kid.

I wouldn't have thought too much about a cover like that (SOKE #1 has a variant with him as a kid too) but I remembered that the Super Sons omnibus is getting a reprint in October.

Again, I wouldn't have thought too much of it because I doubt the conclusion of his mini and a reprint were meant to coincide with one another with a two month gap separating the two.

But Batman & Robin is getting relaunched in September, so that does bridge that two month gap with both halves of the Super Sons having some major things happening to them in the same general time frame that would lead up to their omnibus getting a reprint.

The more conspiracy side of my brain wants to make more of this because I've been noticing a real lack of aged up Jon in much of anything. He isn't mentioned in any solicits, from Knights Terrors tie-ins to the Doomsday special (his AC backup is Doomsday-adjacent), and he hasn't been in the newer group shots DC uses as promo material and here he is showing up as a kid on a variant cover.

His mini is ending, the SS omnibus is getting a reprint in October, and he's been very obviously missing from their promotional material towards the end of summer and start of fall. So what are the plans DC has for Jon?

The problem for them is that there really isn't much to do with Teen Jon. Literally his entire character depended on the canned 5G initiative...nothing they've tried since has really worked. There was the kiss issue...but after the hype from that died down...Teen Jon was basically forgotten. It seems both readers and writers prefer Kid Jon.

Incredible Member

I don't think it'd be out of the question for DC to relaunch Super-Sons with Teen Jon, instead of what is being suggested here.

I'd laugh my head off if it happened, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    I don't think it'd be out of the question for DC to relaunch Super-Sons with Teen Jon, instead of what is being suggested here.

It’s possible but it also ignores the problems & just puts Jon in another temporary space of complacency.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post

I mean, the one special they did do with Damian and Jon, was easily one of the best times Teen Jon has been written since his debut. And that was written, I believe, by Tomasi.

I'd still rather Jon be a year or so younger than Damian at the most. That was the only real issue I had in regards to the original setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    to the point Taylor himself even pointed this out in the issue, & DC is too stubborn to just give everyone the happy medium that’s clearly needed with this character put Jon to 14 same age as Damian if not a year younger

Where did Tom Taylor acknowledge that?

Action Comics 1055 (2023) (Webrip) (The Last Kryptonian-DCP)-030.jpg

Gotta say, I'm really liking this throwback story in Action Comics.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post

I don't know, you might be on to something.

Extraordinary Member

I don’t see what the point of de-aging Jon is, if Damien is catching up with him in age now.