Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Maybe someone should start separate appreciation threads for the kid and teen versions of the character

Actually this is what DC should do... Split the Teen and Kid Versions of the character... So everybody wins.

Cause as long as Teen Jon lives at the expense of his more liked Kid version there will always be a bitter taste when it comes to fans. Finding a way they co-exist, perhaps naming one of them Jordan. Could be a way to appease both fan bases.

Maybe they could use the Red/Blue split to accomplish this?

For an appreciation thread, there seems to be a lot of people crapping on the character. Maybe someone should start separate appreciation threads for the kid and teen versions of the character so that fans don't feel ostracized in an appreciation thread.
    Forums become places to vent but some discretion and restraint would be helpful.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-17-2023 at 09:39 PM.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    C.S Pact is the type of writer that like to play with a character's trauma.

This is the second time Pact has written Jon and so far she has done a good job. I would not be surprised if she take over for Jon when Taylor end his run.

Also liked Scott Godlewski's art he actually can draw teenagers, a like love how he captures expressions.

As far as Ash and Jon goes I like the, and as someone who don't usually like love triangles I think I want this one Ash/Jon vs Jay/Jon, good guy vs bad guy. The one thing I have enough of is OTPs in teen stories let the characters have some fun.
    Agreed, comics has to be only one that sticks to that trope. I suspect the trope was created by the comics code:

(1) Divorce shall not be treated humorously nor represented as desirable.
    (3) Respect for parents, the moral code, and for honorable behavior shall be fostered. A sympathetic understanding of the problems of love is not a license for morbid distortion.

It's just super unrealistic and unhealthy when the media, basically say a character has to stick to ONE relationship or anything else won't be as good and won't work out. Especially if it's YA, very few people in that demograph have long lasting relationships lol, let them be messy.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

For an appreciation thread, there seems to be a lot of people crapping on the character. Maybe someone should start separate appreciation threads for the kid and teen versions of the character so that fans don't feel ostracized in an appreciation thread.
    or we can make a thread for people to vent about it, I feel like this topic gets brought up and goes in circles. Some people like teen jon some people don't, it's whatever you can't change other's opinions.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    or we can make a thread for people to vent about it, I feel like this topic gets brought up and goes in circles. Some people like teen jon some people don't, it's whatever you can't change other's opinions.
    That's my attitude toward classic Iceman and fans of Flaming-Gay Iceman.

I don't usually like love triangles, but I'm actually interested in the Jay-Jon-Ash one. Jon is a relatively new character with no destined love interest, so it could actually be interesting to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Actually this is what DC should do... Split the Teen and Kid Versions of the character... So everybody wins.

Cause as long as Teen Jon lives at the expense of his more liked Kid version there will always be a bitter taste when it comes to fans. Finding a way they co-exist, perhaps naming one of them Jordan. Could be a way to appease both fan bases.

Maybe they could use the Red/Blue split to accomplish this?
    They've been doing kid Jon stories the entire time he's been teen Jon. They had the Challenge of the Super Sons mini, they've had the Super Sons YA OGNs, and now they're doing kid Jon backup stories in Action Comics. People that like kid Jon are still getting stories with him.

Some people like teen jon some people don't, it's whatever you can't change other's opinions.
    I'm not expecting people's opinions on him to change. But crapping on the current version of the character in an appreciation thread about him is redundant and pushes out people that do like that version of the character or both.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Read the issue, and yeah Ash really has better chemistry with Jon. Pacat has a good handling here, helps that from what I hear she's queer herself so it makes sense she has a better handling on the stuff here.

Be interested if she ends up succeeding Taylor once his Adventures mini ends.

Or people can get out they feelings & realize it’s not that deep you can critique that doesn’t mean you don’t appreciate the character.

You have to have chemistry in this case, because how else do they convince us that Jon falls for someone he hates/gets annoyed with

Agreed, if he can't mess up the being a good guy thing then at least let his personal life be a mess like everyone else in their late teens/20s. Plus it's important to show both good and bad relationships in media.
    Jon as the Superman who isn’t tied at the hip to an iconic LI was one of the reasons I was interested in him taking up the mantle. I dislike both Tomasi attempting to make Kathy his OTL and I dislike how “perfect” Taylor is trying to make his first boyfriend. Clark’s romantic life was a complete mess for the entire Silver Age, I’d like to see Jon’s love life likewise being messy. Writers should be giving him LIs with the idea that none of them are meant to be permanent (yet) but are going to let Jon explore different sides of himself through romance.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Fmwday2aMAIyJMI.jpg

Mildly shocked by this because the artist in question has made tons of Jon fanart but has never once acknowledged Jay existence which I assumed was because she was just too much of Damian/Jon fan.

Guess she just found pink-hair bland like a lot of us.

Ooh imagine Jon cheats dumps Jay & then the blogs start making noise about Jon & Ash & that’s how the “Journalists” finds out that would be so juicy CRACK HIS FACE lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Or people can get out they feelings & realize it’s not that deep you can critique that doesn’t mean you don’t appreciate the character.
    Critique isn't calling the current version "not-Jon" or "fake-Jon." Criticism isn't making up stories that he's an alternate universe version or someone else entirely because they don't like him. An appreciation post for a character having people saying there's nothing to like about the current character and that his recent series was a waste of time and money isn't "appreciation."
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Space Ghost, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Critique isn't calling the current version "not-Jon" or "fake-Jon." Criticism isn't making up stories that he's an alternate universe version or someone else entirely because they don't like him. An appreciation post for a character having people saying there's nothing to like about the current character and that his recent series was a waste of time and money isn't "appreciation."
    I think his recent series was a complete waste of time 18 issues of nothing in my opinion. That doesn’t mean I dislike Jon yes do I think he’s bland AF on occasion sure but I appreciate the potential (especially now that a greater LI is on the rise) therefore I appreciate him, Jon is a controversial character it just is what it is people are gonna talk about it that shouldn’t be silenced just cause it may be unpleasant to the ears of some, guess what so was the age up, you can’t do something like that & just expect everyone to be okay with it especially since what we’ve gotten from it hasn’t been all that grand IMO. But again that’s just my opinion people need to stop being so sensitive.
    Last edited by Journey; 01-18-2023 at 08:22 AM.