Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

The reason neither Jon or Chris's age-up landed is simple it's a coming of age story without the actual "Coming of" part, the period that should inform who they are now is missing/doesn't exist and so writers have nothing to draw from and have no real idea who they're suppose to be now as adults just that there not their kid selves anymore resulting in some very generic and ill-defined characters.

There's a reason other mediums in general don't do this and if there's a time-skip it's the entire narrative that shifts not just one character outside of it.

If the novelty of kid Jon was something that suppose to wear off and I'm just wondering when's the novelty of Teen Jon suppose to wear in? 5 years now and I've never seen any discussion (outside his bisexuality) around this character in any great length that doesn't go back to his age-up in someway.

If it hasn't clicked by now I doubt it's ever going to which is fine with me because once DC stops pushing him as hard maybe they'll allow Conner and some of the other Supers to get some shine again.
    Last edited by walk; 01-22-2023 at 06:46 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Jon gets the Kaio-Ken, of course!
    Kaioken would be great actually..instead of blue lightning powers..Go red not blue.

Seriously though,jon's got nothing on this guy..Anime protagonists he has covered.. although i must admit mocking superheroes and that whole fan culture a bit more wouldn't hurt.

Jon's gonna have to find another shtick
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-22-2023 at 08:24 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    The reason neither Jon or Chris's age-up landed is simple it's a coming of age story without the actual "Coming of" part, the period that should inform who they are now is missing/doesn't exist and so writers have nothing to draw from and have no real idea who they're suppose to be now as adults just that there not their kid selves anymore resulting in some very generic and ill-defined characters.

There's a reason other mediums in general don't do this and if there's a time-skip it's the entire narrative that shifts not just one character outside of it.

If the novelty of kid Jon was something that suppose to wear off and I'm just wondering when's the novelty of Teen Jon suppose to wear in? 5 years now and I've never seen any discussion (outside his bisexuality) around this character in any great length that doesn't go back to his age-up in someway.

If it hasn't clicked by now I doubt it's ever going to which is fine with me because once DC stops pushing him as hard maybe they'll allow Conner and some of the other Supers to get some shine again.
    That's true.

The Ultraman tease as well as Jon feeling uneasy around Ash's powers should've happened sooner. I get what Bendis and Taylor are trying to do but they just meandered too much. I got bored of both runs and dropped them.

The timeskip would've worked more if it was explored earlier and involved more than his time on Earth 3. Like it or hate it, the timeskip is Jon's under the red hood era. Jason had a whole new dynamic and lore built in his new persona so Jon would benefit from that approach.

I preferred the TV shows versions because they feel more specific and focused than Teen Jon was under Bendis. I would've preferred Teen Jon if he had Jordan's anxiety or Jon's arrogance or addiction. They aren't perfect but they are a step up to what we have currently.

But we aren't the best judge because we are an insular group. Jon and all the other legacies would work better outside the Wednesday faithful.

So maybe the DTVs can do his material better?
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-22-2023 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm curious on how Jon deals with having younger siblings.
    He better cuss Clark & Lois Tf out for having the audacity to bring kids up in his space after screwing him out of his own childhood & now basically replacing his lost years with a pair of Orphan Annies, cuss them both TF out.

Well it looks like Action Comics on Tuesday would give us the answer.

Jon being a kid hero was a strong hook but the novelty would've worn off eventually. A timeskip was inevitable for Jon as Lor-Zod went through it back in the new Krypton era. Eventually the new Super twins are gonna have one so I'm hoping they learn from their mistakes with Jon and Lor-Zod when they do it.

I'm not against a timeskip, it's just the one Bendis did was a dud. Hell I would've preferred just using Future State as the timeskip and skipping his imprisonment on Earth 3.

Jon is in the same place as all legacies- they are created for a role they can't do. Going the Nightwing route and finding his own path is his best option.

In hindsight, Jon would've been perfect for the imprints. Zoom does a kid Jon story, Ink does teen Jon and Black Label does Future State Jon.

Everybody wins....
    Chris Kent getting aged up led directly to the kid getting abandoned as a super-hero because the hook was gone; if anything the twins getting aged up will be their deathknell as well, not to mention Jon. Jon could have aged up normally, the same way they're doing with Damian.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    He better cuss Clark & Lois Tf out for having the audacity to bring kids up in his space after screwing him out of his own childhood & now basically replacing his lost years with a pair of Orphan Annies, cuss them both TF out.
    Lol I'd pay for that issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Chris Kent getting aged up led directly to the kid getting abandoned as a super-hero because the hook was gone; if anything the twins getting aged up will be their deathknell as well, not to mention Jon. Jon could have aged up normally, the same way they're doing with Damian.
    I was fine with him just going to Titans Academy and building up his Superboy bonafides.

There is no "coming of age" in comics.It's built to protect ips and sometimes harvest some storyline in other medium.That's it.Comics will stay static and episodic.Any serialisation is mere illusion at best.Otherwise The superman story should have ended in 1960's at worst.it should have ended in 1950s at best.Tom and jerry is still doing the same thing they did in the 50s.The only reason the nightwing and other characters aged up is cause they bought into their own nonsense.Even then batman can't aged up that created a whole lot of problems.for example robin's number explosion.But still,dick grayson is the only robin that has captured the pop culture fame and is cemented as such.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-22-2023 at 07:12 PM.

Bleeding Cool spoiled tomorrow's issue of Action Comics and its what you expect for Jon and the Super twins.

Bleeding Cool spoiled tomorrow's issue of Action Comics and its what you expect for Jon and the Super twins.

I really don't think they know what they're doing. This just makes the problem worse, as it rubs in how unfair it was for the writers to do that to Jon.

Of course, there's also the problem that Adult Jon has so little to him that it's the only thing they can explore outside of his sexuality (which they can't even have him say the words "I'm bisexual" on-panel).

I really don't think they know what they're doing. This just makes the problem worse, as it rubs in how unfair it was for the writers to do that to Jon.

Of course, there's also the problem that Adult Jon has so little to him that it's the only thing they can explore outside of his sexuality (which they can't even have him say the words "I'm bisexual" on-panel).
    It really is blatant how everything for Teen Jon hinged on 5G( which would've been a disaster).They really need to just accept when it's time to just cut your losses. Everything they do with Teen Jon since his first appearance...has not gone over well. He replaced Kid Jon...making his fans not like him. They tried to have him replace Clark...which made his fans not like him. And now they created the twins as a consolation prize for the pointless and unpopular age up.
    Last edited by Knightsilver; 01-23-2023 at 11:22 AM.

The timeskip had potential but they shot themselves in the foot by ignoring it. It could've lead to a more interesting exploration of trauma which would've served the fans better in the longterm.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post

I'll clarify my statement, it's not that it's supposed to wear off, but it would become something like Simpsons fans saying: "when are they going to age up Bart, Lisa, or Maggie?" Which would then lead to DC aging Jon up a few years. As for Teen Jon, I don't think it ever will happen. The LOSH series is canceled, his Superman:Son of Kal-El is canceled, renamed, and made into a mini-series. Volume 2 of SSoK didn't rank in the top 20 graphic novels for December of 2022 (though I'm waiting for January or February to see, since the book came out at the end of November) versus volume 1 being in the top ten, number nine. though. All things point toward that Jon is not in a good spot right now. But, Like I stated, would've been worse if 5G happened and he became the new Superman. You're not going to get generations of fans to accept a new Superman. And killing off Bruce? DC's only viable cash crop? What was Didio thinking.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    And killing off Bruce? DC's only viable cash crop? What was Didio thinking.
    [Dan Didio] Burn it all to the ground. No survivors! [/Dan Didio]

The thing that really annoys me the most about this whole Teen Jon thing is that there is an obvious fix. Make him a kid again but keep him Bi.

But no we can’t do this really obvious thing that would appease everyone

DC editorial is truly mind boggling with the choices they make

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    The thing that really annoys me the most about this whole Teen Jon thing is that there is an obvious fix. Make him a kid again but keep him Bi.

But no we can’t do this really obvious thing that would appease everyone

DC editorial is truly mind boggling with the choices they make
    He can be a kid and still be bland..Later supersons books very much went nowhere.Jon wasn't very great either.There are easy fixes..Making him a kid is just surface level though.