Page 14 of 54 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    My theory is misunderstanding Spider-Man's old stories.

Old Spidey was very much a soap opera, not just when it comes to his personal life, but also when it comes to fighting villains, sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses, he may win and feel like ****, he may lose and still find a positive on the situation, may win and feel good, may lose and feel bad.

So what does this mean? Since whether or not Spidey can win is not guaranteed, and whether or not he'll be happy afterwards is not guaranteed too, it gives him a pretty flexible writing style, which, while not special these days, back then it was unheard of with super-hero comic books.

Spidey being the universe's punching bag is on the franchise's DNA, and tragedies are pretty iconic to it, to the point Gwen's death is known even to casual fans, so it can make it look like Spidey is even more about tragedy than he usually is, combine that with modern writing style being edgier, and we get this, a character who can lose way too much while being sad sack semi frequently.

So yeah, it's not far fetched to say that BND writers are to Spider-Man, what Aaron is to Phoenix, someone who legit likes this thing but really doesn't get it.
    That...actually makes a lot of sense.

--

Random Kang Foo!

"The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post

--

Random Kang Foo!

I want this in Avengers 5
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

My theory is misunderstanding Spider-Man's old stories.

Old Spidey was very much a soap opera, not just when it comes to his personal life, but also when it comes to fighting villains, sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses, he may win and feel like ****, he may lose and still find a positive on the situation, may win and feel good, may lose and feel bad.

So what does this mean? Since whether or not Spidey can win is not guaranteed, and whether or not he'll be happy afterwards is not guaranteed too, it gives him a pretty flexible writing style, which, while not special these days, back then it was unheard of with super-hero comic books.

Spidey being the universe's punching bag is on the franchise's DNA, and tragedies are pretty iconic to it, to the point Gwen's death is known even to casual fans, so it can make it look like Spidey is even more about tragedy than he usually is, combine that with modern writing style being edgier, and we get this, a character who can lose way too much while being sad sack semi frequently.

So yeah, it's not far fetched to say that BND writers are to Spider-Man, what Aaron is to Phoenix, someone who legit likes this thing but really doesn't get it.

I'm pretty sure self insert fanfictions usually are the exact opposite, by making the protagonist obnoxiously awesome lol.
    You make sense, and that does sound like a more charitable read, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    Normally I would agree with you but in this case they are just proyecting themselves: a bunch of losers in a middle age crisis. That's why they hate marriage.
    Sadly, that might not be entirely inaccurate, though I'm more inclined to go with the explanation that they just don't get what makes Spider-Man work and are operating more out of that lack of understanding as compared to actual malice or ill intent toward the character of Spider-Man. Still infuriating either way, but at least a lack of understanding and comprehension is easier to forgive (and more rational) compared to deliberately trying to tank a wildly beloved and successful character because of petty personal feelings or biases.

--

Random Kang Foo!

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    I want this in Avengers 5
    I also want to see an adaptation of the scene that has Kingpin going up against Spider-Man and saying, "I get a kick out of crime" while literally kicking Spider-Man. That would be very hilarious.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Fan art of Spider-Man no1 End of Spider-Verse by me.
    Hope you like it!Spider-Man_page-0001.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Fan art of Spider-Man no1 End of Spider-Verse by me.
    Hope you like it!Spider-Man_page-0001.jpg
    Not bad at all. Keep it up.

black suit time

ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg.jpg

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    Normally I would agree with you but in this case they are just proyecting themselves: a bunch of losers in a middle age crisis. That's why they hate marriage.
    That'd be them implementing their views on the franchise, but not self inserting in it, and yes, those are pretty different things lol.

Random Kang Foo!

To think that's an actual panel from, some comic:

There's also this:

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    You make sense, and that does sound like a more charitable read, to say the least.
    As much as I can understand why plenty would think the fuckups are intentional, it just might not be the case, and it's a writer, just doing something poorly written for a franchise they don't fully understand.

Who knows though, it's just a theory and I don't want anyone reading this and thinking it's factual lol.

Sadly, that might not be entirely inaccurate, though I'm more inclined to go with the explanation that they just don't get what makes Spider-Man work and are operating more out of that lack of understanding as compared to actual malice or ill intent toward the character of Spider-Man. Still infuriating either way, but at least a lack of understanding and comprehension is easier to forgive (and more rational) compared to deliberately trying to tank a wildly beloved and successful character because of petty personal feelings or biases.
    And the annoying thing is that, fucking up the character because they prefer a specific status quo ain't far fetched too.

I also want to see an adaptation of the scene that has Kingpin going up against Spider-Man and saying, "I get a kick out of crime" while literally kicking Spider-Man. That would be very hilarious.
    Knowing MCU humor there would be someone who comments how that's a bad bun lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

To think that's an actual panel from, some comic:

There's also this:

It's pretty funny and kinda random.

Damn, stealing lemonade from a little girl's lemonade stand? Not even Doctor Doom would sink that low.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

It's pretty funny and kinda random.

Damn, stealing lemonade from a little girl's lemonade stand? Not even Doctor Doom would sink that low.
    pretty sure doom has. he killed Scott Lang daughter

But did he steal her lemonade?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

But did he steal her lemonade?
    And he even resurrected her during AXIS when a lot of heroes and villains got their moral alignments flipped, though it was telling that he had to have his moral alignment flipped first.

The Wonderful World of Art!

The Wonderful World of Art!

This is pretty cool!

Although now I'm starting to think of Peter and Jessica endangering their kids. Superhero parent problems .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This is pretty cool!

Although now I'm starting to think of Peter and Jessica endangering their kids. Superhero parent problems .
    yeah dont know why they wanted to do a pregnant Jessica for this story

yeah dont know why they wanted to do a pregnant Jessica for this story
    Because it's the most iconic version of Jessica Drew .