Page 13 of 54 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    That would actually be a pretty big win for Shocker, especially after Norman clowned him in Gold Goblin. :P
    At least there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The only thing I hate more than Spider-Man constantly being unable to win fights is Spider-Man constantly needing help to win said fights.

It was bad enough when the cartoons started doing it to imitate the comics.
    Basically:

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan View Post
    I think what bugs me the most about Peter being unable to win fights anymore is that there’s no real precedent for it. Like obviously his capability as a hero would change a bit from run to run, but for the most part, he won the vast majority of his battles in every run prior to OMD. Like, what was the basis for changing that and making him so incapable? What fans were clamoring for that? When reading an action story, do you not want your action hero to on occasion do something cool? Am I alone in wanting to see that somehow?
    Obviously not, considering how Spidey's incapacity to win is complained with enough frequency, and fans may cheer for Spidey getting wins to the point terrible victories like him defeating Firelord get praised, meanwhile, I have yet to see anyone praising for losses like that one time around Silk's introduction where he needed to be saved by her when dealing with Felicia and Electro.

The thing about post-OMD is how they exaggerated Spidey's losses, because in a bunch of old comics, he did lose a decent amount of matches, to the point that in Otto's debut, he casually defeated Spidey so bad that Spidey actually considered quitting, the thing is that, yes, he loses, but he comes back for more anyways, making him lose without a victory afterwards in some way just makes him look like an incompetent amateur.

Anyways, yearly reminder that RYV Spidey has a third leg:

(RYV#13).
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 02-22-2023 at 05:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Anyways, yearly reminder that RYV Spidey has a third leg:

(RYV#13).
    Don't show 616 Peter this...he'll flip a table and then get the shit kicked out of him by it.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Don't show 616 Peter this...he'll flip a table and then get the shit kicked out of him by it.
    Well 616 Spidey has the better ass at least:

(Avenging Spider-Man#5).

(Avenging Spider-Man#5).
    Man...Cap just threw that right in the trash and didn't even bother to sign it. What a jerk!
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Man...Cap just threw that right in the trash and didn't even bother to sign it. What a jerk!
    Don't worry, Captain America realizes his error by the end of this issue and does some bonding with Peter over their shared nerdy backgrounds . . . even if they're technically different kinds of nerd, Peter being a science nerd and Steve Rogers being an art nerd. Funny enough, this was from Zeb Wells, too, more than a decade ago.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

(Avenging Spider-Man#5).
    It's funny how Zeb Wells was more tolerable on this team-up title than he is on the main book.

It's funny how Zeb Wells was more tolerable on this team-up title than he is on the main book.
    Yes. Yes, indeed. And then there were his Carnage miniseries that brought back Cletus Kasady/Carnage, first one being a Spider-Man/Iron Man team-up and the second being more of a Spider-Man/Avengers team-up with a surprise appearance from Agent Venom. Fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yes. Yes, indeed. And then there were his Carnage miniseries that brought back Cletus Kasady/Carnage, first one being a Spider-Man/Iron Man team-up and the second being more of a Spider-Man/Avengers team-up with a surprise appearance from Agent Venom. Fun times.
    I remember Spidey being pretty useless in those mini's .

Fantastic Member

Yeah he was just kind of present without affecting the plot much if at all

So even back then, this was a problem. Well . . .

I wonder if it's because he didn't have that much control over Spidey, like, ASM vol 6 is the first time he has full control over ASM now that I think of it, well, as much control as a solo writer can have...

It wouldn't be too surprising if that's the case, people like George Lucas, Akira Toriyama, Hideo Kojima, Chris Claremont, can't have too much control over the stories or their writing problems will become a lot more noticeable.

A BND writer classic.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 02-23-2023 at 07:58 PM.

A BND writer classic.
    What is it with them and making Spider-Man useless? Is it...like a complex or something?

What is it with them and making Spider-Man useless? Is it...like a complex or something?
    Self insert fanfiction.

My theory is misunderstanding Spider-Man's old stories.

Old Spidey was very much a soap opera, not just when it comes to his personal life, but also when it comes to fighting villains, sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses, he may win and feel like shit, he may lose and still find a positive on the situation, may win and feel good, may lose and feel bad.

So what does this mean? Since whether or not Spidey can win is not guaranteed, and whether or not he'll be happy afterwards is not guaranteed too, it gives him a pretty flexible writing style, which, while not special these days, back then it was unheard of with super-hero comic books.

Spidey being the universe's punching bag is on the franchise's DNA, and tragedies are pretty iconic to it, to the point Gwen's death is known even to casual fans, so it can make it look like Spidey is even more about tragedy than he usually is, combine that with modern writing style being edgier, and we get this, a character who can lose way too much while being sad sack semi frequently.

So yeah, it's not far fetched to say that BND writers are to Spider-Man, what Aaron is to Phoenix, someone who legit likes this thing but really doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    Self insert fanfiction.
    I'm pretty sure self insert fanfictions usually are the exact opposite, by making the protagonist obnoxiously awesome lol.

My theory is misunderstanding Spider-Man's old stories.

Old Spidey was very much a soap opera, not just when it comes to his personal life, but also when it comes to fighting villains, sometimes he wins, sometimes he loses, he may win and feel like shit, he may lose and still find a positive on the situation, may win and feel good, may lose and feel bad.

So what does this mean? Since whether or not Spidey can win is not guaranteed, and whether or not he'll be happy afterwards is not guaranteed too, it gives him a pretty flexible writing style, which, while not special these days, back then it was unheard of with super-hero comic books.

Spidey being the universe's punching bag is on the franchise's DNA, and tragedies are pretty iconic to it, to the point Gwen's death is known even to casual fans, so it can make it look like Spidey is even more about tragedy than he usually is, combine that with modern writing style being edgier, and we get this, a character who can lose way too much while being sad sack semi frequently.

So yeah, it's not far fetched to say that BND writers are to Spider-Man, what Aaron is to Phoenix, someone who legit likes this thing but really doesn't get it.

I'm pretty sure self insert fanfictions usually are the exact opposite, by making the protagonist obnoxiously awesome lol.
    Normally I would agree with you but in this case they are just proyecting themselves: a bunch of losers in a middle age crisis. That's why they hate marriage.