Page 7 of 84 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    BANNED

VERY SORRY to hear about what Emma Dumont's going through. While I haven't delved too deep into any details yet, what I did glean was really alarming, and I empathize with her trying to process it. My hope is she's getting all the help she needs, and to look more into all this later, myself. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Offhand, I don't know what motivates any of those characters beyond the desire to improve mutant/human relations and just help people in general. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    Damn. Was really hoping this could've been a new team. Really awesome lineup IMO.

It is cool to see Lorna on merchandise like this though. Of all the characters they could've selected, Polaris being on the cover representing the X-Men is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingGreen View Post
    ... While I agree with the overall sentiment that I wish the Krakoan era had delved a bit deeper into Lorna, I just want to say I love the quiet popularity she’s been gaining, I love her new look, and I love how iconic it’s become so quickly. Here’s hoping she starts driving some plots soon. ...
    These thoughts largely reflect much of my own, for the most part.

This will ALWAYS BE... 1 of my ALL-TIME FAVORITE IMAGEs of her, EVER!

I wasn't going to post here about Emma saying Lorna saved her, because she's going through a lot and to me it felt wrong to bring it up unless I knew for sure she wanted that spread. But since the comment is public, and it's already here: yes. Lorna means a lot in this sense for many people.

This is why you see me speak and act so strongly as an advocate for the character, and why Jordan White and the rest of the X-Men office acting like she doesn't matter and trying to whitewash her history bothers me so much.

People who don't give a damn about the character, and who see her as some worthless Z-lister who shouldn't grace pages with the "real stars," don't understand how much a fictional character can actually mean to someone. They don't understand how powerful and cathartic it can be to see Lorna addressing the things that matter to her and overcoming hardship, and why you can't just slap those same themes on some other character and expect the same result. Lorna is unique. The character's experiences are unique. She has her own personality and quirks and past independent of any other character.

Trying to take her essence and most important elements and history and slap them onto Jean or Emma or Storm or any other character doesn't work, and it's insulting. I think it's insulting to both characters, and implies that other character's own past is worthless and they need to steal from Lorna to matter, but I can't speak for fans of the other characters. I can speak for Lorna though, and say it's insulting to her as a character, as well as fans of her.

So if you see me speaking and acting "too strongly" as an advocate for Lorna, this is why it's not "too strong" to me. I'm responding in a proportionate level to the insult and disrespect being shown toward fans of the character through how the character is being treated.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Still not a fan of the miniskirted socialite take on Polaris, but she certainly is serving it up in the preview of SCARLET WITCH #3

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post

Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

BANNED

I don't see "socialite" as much as the same attitude & swagger Lorna's ALWAYS had, for as long as I've known her.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    I don't see "socialite" as much as the same attitude & swagger Lorna's ALWAYS had, for as long as I've known her.
    This is definitely NEW.

Previous Lorna's have been defined by searching for identity, being manipulated, being a strong survivor of trauma, mental instability, NOT wanting to be involved into the superhero game, being a staunchly pro-mutant and occasionally anti-human.

Omni-present sunglasses and "I have to finish my latte before I head into battle" attitude is a recent innovation. I don't care for it because it feels like it puts her on Boom Boom level instead of Jean Grey, who is her generational peer.

Lorna finally feels fun after spending so many years coming across unhappy or just blah with no personality. I love the current iteration of her

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Lorna finally feels fun after spending so many years coming across unhappy or just blah with no personality. I love the current iteration of her
    Yup. Definitely something NEW.
    Fun Lorna-centric review of peak New Lorna in X-MEN #5:"The title of this comic? “Don’t Piss Off Polaris.”
    Last edited by Thirteen; 02-09-2023 at 10:13 AM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    This is definitely NEW.

Previous Lorna's have been defined by searching for identity, being manipulated, being a strong survivor of trauma, mental instability, NOT wanting to be involved into the superhero game, being a staunchly pro-mutant and occasionally anti-human.

Omni-present sunglasses and "I have to finish my latte before I head into battle" attitude is a recent innovation. I don't care for it because it feels like it puts her on Boom Boom level instead of Jean Grey, who is her generational peer.
    As much as I love sassy Lorna, you're right. She carries none of the same gravitas as some of her peers and that has consequences for how she'll be written in the future. A scene stealer for sure, but not necessarily a mutant leader like she could be. She went from having the weight on her shoulders and living up to her father's expectations to being a carefree latte girl. I mean, that is a realistic way for someone to grow as an adult after having experienced so much trauma when they were younger, but I just want more for her, especially in the wake of her father's very public death.

To me, Lorna always had a fun/fun loving and even funny side, but we have not seen in much in the last 25+ years.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Princess bitch Lorna is not a unique development. How Duggan went about it was somewhat unique. The last ongoing writer before Duggan to attempt a princess bitch persona on Lorna was Austen.

Quote Originally Posted by vbeacon

As much as I love sassy Lorna, you're right. She carries none of the same gravitas as some of her peers and that has consequences for how she'll be written in the future. A scene stealer for sure, but not necessarily a mutant leader like she could be. She went from having the weight on her shoulders and living up to her father's expectations to being a carefree latte girl. I mean, that is a realistic way for someone to grow as an adult after having experienced so much trauma when they were younger, but I just want more for her, especially in the wake of her father's very public death.

Lorna is hollow without the mutant rights activism spurred on by her own life experiences.
    Last edited by jmc247; 02-10-2023 at 02:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    To me, Lorna always had a fun/fun loving and even funny side, but we have not seen in much in the last 25+ years.
    Remind us of examples of "fun loving funny Lorna" from pre - 25+ years? PAD's X-FACTOR(both) Lorna was funny but usually as the "straight woman" with the funny happening around or in spite of her.

Remind us of examples of "fun loving funny Lorna" from pre - 25+ years? PAD's X-FACTOR(both) Lorna was funny but usually as the "straight woman" with the funny happening around or in spite of her.

Well, just off the top of my head, lol, in the 1960's! Jean and Lorna teemed up to teach the boys a lesson and Lorna used her magnettics to vex them. Jean and Lorna had a good chuckle.

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Well, just off the top of my head, lol, in the 1960's! Jean and Lorna teemed up to teach the boys a lesson and Lorna used her magnettics to vex them. Jean and Lorna had a good chuckle.
    Perhaps this from 1969, X-MEN #59-ish?

BANNED

This is definitely NEW. ...

I don't agree. What it is to me, is just a new eXpession of what's always been there & as already stated, readily on display.

All of the things you mention have been at least alluded to, if not outright addressed, throughout the HoX era. In fact, it could be argued, in:

Yup. Definitely something NEW.
    Fun Lorna-centric review of peak New Lorna in X-MEN #5:"The title of this comic? “Don’t Piss Off Polaris.”...
    Polaris bein' pissed off is hardly anything innovative, it's been a character staple for her since forever.

The coffee w/shades are just quirks -- and in this case, visual identifiers -- that superficially for the most part, add to her branding, both in & out of story. I liken it to Emma's "Dahling(s)," wherein the creative process & marketing can influence each other and crossover somewhat.

And HA, no, just no. In no way has any depiction of Polaris ever even remotely resembled Tabby at all, let alone current, modern Lorna, and especially when compared to the now even more ditzy than ever Boom-Boom (from early, Brisson NM to the recent X-Terminators; can't remember if she appeared elsewhere).

Lastly, 'tis true, she's always been funny. Often sarcastically, like Pietro is, or Bobby can be. Again, another core trait, as far back as the OG run.

Perhaps this from 1969, X-MEN #59-ish?

Yepperino! That would be it! Just look at those playful and fun gals!