Page 394 of 410 FirstFirst ... 294344384390391392393394395396397398404 ... LastLast
Results 5,896 to 5,910 of 6148
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lifetap View Post
    Despite what may be said on twitter few characters are truly bigger than their current state, a lot of characters that once had a rich history are basically non-characters because choices made during their current runs turned off the audience and they stopped supporting the book.

This run has made a lot of long term changes that should affect MJ going forward and define the future of the character:
    She gave up on Peter
    She aged 4 years and has been with Paul for just as long (how long was her relationship with Peter time wise with the sliding scale?)
    She raised kids for 4 years
    She treated Peter like garbage for something the reader never saw (so they cannot relate to it)
    She is choosing to stay with Paul even after the 'chains' are no longer a thing
    Her powers are tied to Paul
    She gave Peter a responsibility speech to someone who accidentally aided in a genocide an has not shown any remorse for that action (that has been shown)

There are probably more that some additionally salty readers can come up with. I just don't see this run being retconned and I doubt they get rid of the potential of Jackpot permanently in case it is actually popular. So there is potential that MJ will forever be tied to Paul moving forward

None of that really matters because this is comics and nothing has really been
    explored yet. So it's people making assumptions on things and all of this can easily fixed or explained away. Nothing in this run is forever damaging and a new writer could easily fix all of this and fans would simply move on like they have dine before with bad runs

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    Paul in the books = no buy.
    thank you for your honesty
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Having Paul around is definitely not a great selling point for the book.

Ultimate Member

Almost as if they think that if they keep trying to force Paul on the fans that the fans will eventually like him.

Not even the writer of the comic mentions Paul. Nobody likes Paul except for Nick Lowe, lol. (It wouldn't surprise me if Zeb didn't even like him.)

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    Crap as usual. But I don't understand how people expected him to not be there. The whole Jackpot persona is attached to him.
    Exactly, it is wishful thinking at best willful delusion at worst.

Paul with MJ and MJ without Peter equals no buys from me, and I'm their target audience someone who isn't offended by the concept of superhero MJ. Good luck to them is all I can say.

Edit - In a nutshell if not for Paul and the resulting terrible relationship between MJ/Peter I'd be the first in line to buy up every copy of this series. But I cannot support the dreadful things done with the character all in the name of the "keep Peter young and romantically unattached" asinine status quo that led us here, just saying.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-08-2023 at 07:38 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Not even the writer of the comic mentions Paul. Nobody likes Paul except for Nick Lowe, lol. (It wouldn't surprise me if Zeb didn't even like him.)
    I do wonder if Bronfman is legitimately stuck with him and can't do anything about it. Like Paul was mandated to be a part of anything Jackpot related.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I do wonder if Bronfman is legitimately stuck with him and can't do anything about it. Like Paul was mandated to be a part of anything Jackpot related.
    It would be even more absurd as a mandate IMO.

It's a one-shot. You could say MJ was on a night patrol and Paul was at home watching Netflix.

There are so many natural ways to not include him here, yet they went ahead to include him anyway and made the book (even more) DOA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    It would be even more absurd as a mandate IMO.

It's a one-shot. You could say MJ was on a night patrol and Paul was at home watching Netflix.

There are so many natural ways to not include him here, yet they went ahead to include him anyway and made the book (even more) DOA.
    It seems like initially he's against her getting involved (to give you further doubts as to whether MJ should even be with this guy) but then gets roped into her "guy in the chair" position.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konnik92 View Post
    This is the f**king thing that is making me frustrated - she doesn't need superpowers to be a hero and yet they give her a costume and power to "prove herself". Do they honestly think that they can capture MJ's Spinnerete magic from Renew Your Vows?

"The dynamic I'm really excited about spotlighting and can't wait for people to see is Jackpot and Spider-Man. We haven't seen them fight side-by-side in costumes."

I'm sorry, WHAT? Did they forget that time she helped Peter defeating 616 Reagent (not from Renew Your Vows) while wearing the Iron Spider armor?
    Not to mention the entire series of Renew Your Vows was MJ and Peter fighting side by side in costumes. AU, but RYV Peter and MJ were more true to 616 than anything since OMD.

But then it's obvious from the interview Bronfman has only the most superficial understanding of Fel and MJ, and she's going to force them into some sort of cliche buddy cop team up where Felicia is suddenly the guarded cynical "lone wolf" and MJ is the annoying overly optimistic Hermione-type who won't leave her alone and wants to brainstorm all the solutions and team up. Paul is just a nail in the coffin.

I'm not buying. This status quo reeks of desperation and I say let Marvel stew in the miasma of their own making.

Really it's the better artists trying their utmost to sell it than the costume and paired next to Black Cat with a far better designed and thematically appropriate costume it looks woefully out of place.
    Yeah, next to Black Cat the Jackpot costume looks even more cut rate, cheap, and poorly conceived/designed.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 12-09-2023 at 12:49 AM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Astonishing Member

It's obviously the thing.
    I've been saying it from the beginning - Paul is pretty much an editorial mandate at this point, and even if Wells leaves, it doesn't mean he will be gone as well. They might see hate towards him as something they can monetize on (negativity sells and some other **** they believe in), they also might use him as the way to keep status quo they want.
    Everybody is stuck with him for now.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I've been saying it from the beginning - Paul is pretty much an editorial mandate at this point, and even if Wells leaves, it doesn't mean he will be gone as well. They might see hate towards him as something they can monetize on (negativity sells and some other **** they believe in), they also might use him as the way to keep status quo they want.
    This sounds more like guessing as nothing on the plot has been moved forward so it's more of baseless speculation

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Seems like MJ will be the Peter parker while Paul will be the MJ WHO gets worried sick and just wants a normal life

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    This sounds more like guessing as nothing on the plot has been moved forward so it's more of baseless speculation
    I hope so. I'm just being pessimistic about this, considering how it's going.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Seems like MJ will be the Peter parker while Paul will be the MJ WHO gets worried sick and just wants a normal life
    Except that was never the defining status quo, that was a misogynist, tired, cliched generalization thrown at MJ by OMD/BND creators and their defenders plus that awful J. Scott Campbell cover of her sitting sadly on the couch while Peter swings away. MJ never wanted a “normal” life, she wanted to be a working actress/model which is far from a traditional 9-5 lifestyle where the little woman sits around the house and waits for the manly financial provider to come home, if anything she was the main wage earner during their marriage, and she knew exactly who and what Peter is and what their life would be when she married him.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 12-09-2023 at 07:54 AM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee