Page 64 of 410 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114164 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    I don't know who is lamer...Paul or Wayeb. It's kind of hard to decide, they both suck so hard its like trying to decide if a Neutron Star or a Black Hole is deadlier, except...you know...they aren't as cool as either of those things.
    In their defense, being as cool as a black hole is difficult .

Hah lol.

Reminds me, in Ultimate universe, Spidey started to consider Gwen like a sister, and eventually he dated her, so this "date your sister" angle isn't unique to 616 .

Frankly speaking, I believe they are jealous of what MJ has with Peter and that they covet the success of their relationship, seeking to replicate it with their own second-rate ships. I think they are also immensely frustrated by her popularity and that all of their attempts to diminish said popularity over the past 15 years have all ended in total failure.
    They don't really wanna replicated it, since they see Spidey being married at all to be a mistake lol.

At best they kinda want more relationships to be like Carlie, someone who's around for a bit then breaks up with Spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Typical Bendis dialogue, 5 panels for a measly 1 panel quip.
    And everyone talking like they just work up and are hard of hearing lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    I do think frustration that MJ and the relationship have not lost their grip on a portion of the audience also has a lot to do with it. It's audible when Zeb Wells talks about the continuing reaction to OMD/BND in the recent podcast interview. Which is why I'm wondering just how badly the upcoming arc will attempt to break her character/any possible future relationship with Peter - until the next writer, of course.
    Y'know, the last line in particular reminds me of Ewing's Defenders:

(Defenders#3 vol 6)

"We all evolve learn grow. Until next time."
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Celgress is right. We've gotten woefully off-topic.

We should talk about why Marvel keeps trying to swipe from MJ to prop up the other love interests. They want Spider-Man to be Archie, and it just isn't. Never has been. They were clearly hoping the current Peter x Felicia romance would get the same treatment from fans that Spencer got for doing Peter x MJ, and it didn't work.
    I wouldn't call it Archie in the sense that there was a central love triangle that defined the whole series so much as that there was a good portion of the book where Peter was cycling through multiple love interests (and back) and that's what some people grew up with.

Bendis taking a shot at One More Day. (From Bendis' The Ones.)
    I love how I could tell this was Bendis without having even read this was him .

Mighty Member

I didn't take Peter's sister remark about Mary Jane seriously.
    It didn't bother me at all.

I thought it was just him being in denial and just trying to brush it off his true feelings because he has no choice to move on.

Right now, Felicia wants to be with him. He thinks that he might well as get with her if he can't get back with Mary Jane.

He can be with somebody that loves and appreciates him and not waste his time with somebody that doesn't want anything to do with him.

BTW....I am a Peter/Mary Jane fan ..........They're my favorite comic book couple.
    I really don't care for Peter/Felicia

I am not enjoying The Amazing Spider-Man

I like Fantastic Four much better right now

that's mainly because Ben and Alicia are married

they have grown to be my second favorite comic book couple

Slott did great by finally marrying 4 years ago
    Last edited by Starrius; 02-27-2023 at 11:28 AM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with people's personal relationships. I do think it has a lot to do with the male writers and editors - notice how very few women have been allowed to work on Amazing Spider-Man - who all come from a certain generation (late boomer/GenX) and who grew up with their favorite pop culture media telling them that when the love interests get together, the story dies (it doesn't, that's conventional wisdom from old school television that has long been proven wrong by popular media in the 21st century). And growing up with media like James Bond and Dirty Harry and Lethal Weapon and Jason Bourne (films; the book Bourne actually has a happy, long marriage) that reduced women who were in a romantic relationship/could be in a romantic relationship with the hero to being "the girl" - a prize to either reward the hero for a job well done for a happy ending or to killed off/removed to make the hero sad for a tragic ending - with little to no care to making the female character a fully realized individual with agency in her own right.

So they literally have no idea how to write a female character with whom the hero is in love and in a relationship with but she's no longer the story's brass ring. Because that means they have to *gasp* treat her as if she's a fully realized character with her own life and her own agency. And that simply does not compute for them. There is no room for a female deuteragonist in their concept of storytelling. Such a concept just doesn't exist in their comic book world view.

I do think frustration that MJ and the relationship have not lost their grip on a portion of the audience also has a lot to do with it. It's audible when Zeb Wells talks about the continuing reaction to OMD/BND in the recent podcast interview. Which is why I'm wondering just how badly the upcoming arc will attempt to break her character/any possible future relationship with Peter - until the next writer, of course.
    There are two other factors I think are at play:

1. They were the first gen to grow up with "high school and college are the best days of your life". After your early 20's, it's apparently "the end" and you can't learn or grow and have new experiences. It's the old-school thinking that life is a story with a beginning, middle, and end, with most of the "character development" happening between 15-22. Under this mindset, it makes sense why you don't think a story with a married 28-year old Spider-Man can keep going.

2. They were the first to grow up with sitcoms that portray marriage and monogamy in a bad light. This kinda feeds into point #1 as well.

You can spot both of these preconceived notions when you break down the implicit premises in everything the OMD guys say about aging and marriage. Honestly, sometimes I feel like part of the intense hatred towards Pre-OMD Spidey is that he challenged those preconceived notions too well. Anyone who reads the marriage years can tell that Peter Parker grew up and didn't stop learning or growing any less than before. He stayed open-minded and non-bitter. He connected with his students just fine (who are the same age as the "new readers" Marvel thinks they're catering to). His relationship with MJ stayed healthy and spicy. JMS Peter Parker was very much the anti-Walter White.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 02-27-2023 at 02:07 PM.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Amazon has the solicitation for Dead Language Part One up.

Amazing answers to your burning questions! What did Peter Parker do that ruined Spider-Man's reputation?! What happened all those months ago between Peter and Mary Jane Watson? What does the immediate future have in store for both of them? And who is the creepy-looking figure that has something to do with all of it? The answers will be worth the wait! Plus: DARK WEB is over, but the fallout will haunt Spider-Man for a long time. To recover, Peter and Felicia Hardy, A.K.A. the Black Cat, escape from the city to an exclusive spa in the Catskills! Surely nobody will ruin their romantic getaway by trying to kill them - right? Collecting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (2022) #19-23.

Yawn. Is it over yet?
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Amazing answers to your burning questions! What did Peter Parker do that ruined Spider-Man's reputation?! What happened all those months ago between Peter and Mary Jane Watson? What does the immediate future have in store for both of them? And who is the creepy-looking figure that has something to do with all of it? The answers will be worth the wait! Plus: DARK WEB is over, but the fallout will haunt Spider-Man for a long time. To recover, Peter and Felicia Hardy, A.K.A. the Black Cat, escape from the city to an exclusive spa in the Catskills! Surely nobody will ruin their romantic getaway by trying to kill them - right? Collecting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (2022) #19-23.

Yawn. Is it over yet?
    Spoilers: They won't be.

Incredible Member

Yawn. Is it over yet?
    No sadly it’s it over. And no the question to an answer we already hate isn’t worth it either

Brand Synergy! *Dropkicks Paul off a cliff*

Last edited by CaptainUniverse; 02-27-2023 at 03:15 PM.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

*Canned Studio Laughter*

This is the same woman who thinks of herself as a jackpot .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nothing wrong with bring honest about yourself.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Nothing wrong with bring honest about yourself.
    Not at all. Confidence is very important, after all.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    No sadly it’s it over. And no the question to an answer we already hate isn’t worth it either
    Spoilers: They won't be.
    Some of the wording for that solicitation got me thinking that they might be preparing for a quick turnaround. I can't be too sure though. I think once June's solicitations come out we will see which way the wind has blown.

Some of the wording for that solicitation got me thinking that they might be preparing for a quick turnaround. I can't be too sure though. I think once June's solicitations come out we will see which way the wind has blown.
    Wells is a Brand New Day writer. He's not going to write Peter and MJ together unless Editorial forces him to.