Page 347 of 410 FirstFirst ... 247297337343344345346347348349350351357397 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,205 of 6148
    Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What would Paul think of MJ dressing up in Peter's colors ?

(Also Jessica must be freezing...).
    This is all the post Paul world. He leaves her because "her" life is too dangerous

Ultimate Member

Almost wonder if Paul doesn't have some supernatural hold over MJ that is messing with her head, and red and blue look good on MJ.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Peter and Peter talk about MJ and MJ:

Oh...Insomniac Peter. You have no idea how badly 616 Peter messed up...

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Oh...Insomniac Peter. You have no idea how badly 616 Peter messed up...
    Actually, he didn't do anything. The one who messed things up was MJ. He should give advice to her. Anyway, as I said before, maybe it's a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    Actually, he didn't do anything. The one who messed things up was MJ. He should give advice to her. Anyway, as I said before, maybe it's a step in the right direction.
    Peter and MJ have the same weakness as every fictional character. They can only do what the writer says they do.

The one who screwed things up was Zeb Wells. He wanted a certain status quo and screwed up the execution to such a massive degree that the title's reputation is in the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    Peter and MJ have the same weakness as every fictional character. They can only do what the writer says they do.

The one who screwed things up was Zeb Wells. He wanted a certain status quo and screwed up the execution to such a massive degree that the title's reputation is in the toilet.
    Yeah, of course. But I was just talking about the characters.

It's funny how we all thought Peter screwed up but then MJ just looked like a jerk by the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's funny how we all thought Peter screwed up but then MJ just looked like a jerk by the end of it.
    The story does not work. The whole thing had been predicated on Peter doing something so horrible that he destroyed his relationships with the other superheroes, with his civilian friends and family, and especially with MJ, And... it was none of those things.

It just reads like Wells had a status quo in mind, one where Peter was sad and alone, and could only rely on Norman Osborn, and... then he blew it so hard when it came time to actually explain what happened. And rather than fix what he broke, he's just continuing along as if he didn't massively screw up and tell one of the worst Spider-Man stories in the history of the franchise. (Never mind the temporary death of Ms. Marvel that completely co-opted the entire story at the climax.)

This is why people are still upset and aren't giving the later stories a chance. And also why I have trouble seeing anyone being excited by other comics that have Wells' name on them. It wouldn't shock me if he brought Peter and MJ back together at the end of his run (or left it vague so the next writer could do whatever) and think that will leave people satisfied.

(Edit: Editorial shouldn't get a pass for allowing this mess.)
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 10-04-2023 at 02:05 PM.

Amazing Member

I feel like the 'What did Peter do' thing was going to be he beat up Paul. Which is why they kept going back to that one panel where Peter gets punched/Punches/Punched again, but dropped it after determining that both people wouldn't care and that domestic violence is something that can rightfully stick with a character (just ask Hank Pym), and I don't know if they thought they would get lucky a second time of it getting overlooked.

The worst thing I think Wells can do at this point to resolve the relationship is have Paul die, although I imagine people would cheer this, I think it would actually do more to hurt the relationship. Unless Wells decides he wants to spend a considerable amount of time rebuilding the Peter/MJ relationship in the main run it is just going to end up feeling like MJ's real love died so she is now settling for Peter.

I think a lot of people were hoping for the Jackpot mini (which may or may not exist), to start building up the break from Paul to Peter, but as more time passes this seems to get less likely that any story (again if it exists at all), will really set this in motion. Unless it just isn't going to be resolved in Wells' run.

There's no way future writers don't just completely nuke whatever MJ's relationship with Paul was if Wells himself doesn't end up doing it. The whole thing is such a mess.

As I said, I fully expect Wells to end his run with Peter and MJ reconciling (or leaving their reconciliation ambiguous so the next creative team can do whatever they want). And I'm sure he thinks that will be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The story does not work. The whole thing had been predicated on Peter doing something so horrible that he destroyed his relationships with the other superheroes, with his civilian friends and family, and especially with MJ, And... it was none of those things.

It just reads like Wells had a status quo in mind, one where Peter was sad and alone, and could only rely on Norman Osborn, and... then he blew it so hard when it came time to actually explain what happened. And rather than fix what he broke, he's just continuing along as if he didn't massively screw up and tell one of the worst Spider-Man stories in the history of the franchise. (Never mind the temporary death of Ms. Marvel that completely co-opted the entire story at the climax.)

This is why people are still upset and aren't giving the later stories a chance. And also why I have trouble seeing anyone being excited by other comics that have Wells' name on them. It wouldn't shock me if he brought Peter and MJ back together at the end of his run (or left it vague so the next writer could do whatever) and think that will leave people satisfied.

(Edit: Editorial shouldn't get a pass for allowing this mess.)
    It reminds me of what a writer said long ago...that if you're going to write a mystery...you need to already know how it's going to go before you even start. If you try to make things up as you go along...the audience will notice the inconsistencies. Wells admitted to just making things up as he went along...so we noticed how nothing really makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ImOctavius View Post
    True. But I was thinking of OMD. That was really what led to the collapse of everything that followed.

The only way to rescue Mary Jane is to make Paul Blackheart. For this whole thing to have been Mephisto fucking with them for what Doctor Strange did at the end of the previous run.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BESTXMAN View Post
    The only way to rescue Mary Jane is to make Paul Blackheart. For this whole thing to have been Mephisto fucking with them for what Doctor Strange did at the end of the previous run.
    If Paul is Blackheart or Mephisto's construct, Johnny Blaze, Dan Ketch, Elsa per today's Annual or Cosmic Old Frank will materialize himself behind him and have this to say at him

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bitterman View Post
    If Paul is Blackheart or Mephisto's construct, Johnny Blaze, Dan Ketch, Elsa per today's Annual or Cosmic Old Frank will materialize himself behind him and have this to say at him
    Or, as he put it in the first Ghost Rider movie: "All out of mercy."
    The spider is always on the hunt.