Page 5 of 410 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PanicPixieDreamGirl View Post
    That's the main reason I never fully embraced MCU Peter tbh. He's meant to be a working class hero. (And MJ a working class heroine, really.)
    The Stark Industries resources...the lack of quips...Tony...Happy...being too much of a straightman...

Not that I blame Holland though, that's on the writers.

I'd argue that Peter should be confirmed as Jewish. He comes from Forest Hills, which is historically speaking, a Jewish neighborhood. The story of his birth parents were clearly meant to be a stand-in for the Rosenbergs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius...thel_Rosenberg), who at the time were thought innocent by large portions of the Jewish community, and other little things here and there.

But here's a question for this thread.

Is MJ Jewish? Should she be? Her Aunt lived in Forest Hills as well.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I'd argue that Peter should be confirmed as Jewish. He comes from Forest Hills, which is historically speaking, a Jewish neighborhood. The story of his birth parents were clearly meant to be a stand-in for the Rosenbergs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius...thel_Rosenberg), who at the time were thought innocent by large portions of the Jewish community, and other little things here and there.

But here's a question for this thread.

Is MJ Jewish? Should she be? Her Aunt lived in Forest Hills as well.
    I don't think either she or Peter are Jewish, I think something like that would have been established long ago like it was with Ben Grimm. Their wedding would have reflected that in some form, but in every reality where we have seen either flashbacks to their wedding or seen photos of it or seen it take place (Pre-OMD Earth-616, Earth X, MC2, TAS, RYV) there is no sign of such a thing. We know that Peter believes in God and I am certain Mary Jane does as well but I don't think they ever defined what their actual religious affiliation was. I suppose perhaps the writers felt it wasn't all that important.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

I think Bendis definitely wrote Peter as Jewish but I doubt it'll ever get officially confirmed...or probably would have been at this point.

Interesting points with regards to Peter. I think Aunt May explicitly goes to church but she could have married across faiths. Peter's mother is Mary which AIUI is not a common Jewish forename. I suspect Lee must have deliberately sent signals both ways.

Mary Jane is of Scottish descent on at least one side of her family. That doesn't mean she's not Jewish, but a quick consult of wikipedia's article on the History of Jews in Scotland makes it seem unlikely. She inherited a cottage in the Highlands in one graphic novel, which is not AIUI a part of the world with any significant Jewish communities. (Why the cottage didn't go to Gayle was not I think explained.)
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Marvel will never say Peter Parker is Jewish. Only Sony did that in Into the Spider-Verse (and that was with an AU Peter in the film).

They're also reluctant to say MJ is Jewish as well. Even though Ultimate MJ is actually from Forest Hills as well, they indicated she wasn't.

BANNED

That's the main reason I never fully embraced MCU Peter tbh. He's meant to be a working class hero. (And MJ a working class heroine, really.)
    MJ is a supermodel and actress. She is well above “working class”.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWayne View Post
    She still has a "working class" background. How successful she actually is seems to vary wildly depending on who is writing.

Reminds me of how Batman is technically Jewish because they established Martha Wayne's family were Jewish, but DC will never confirm that.

Quote Originally Posted by KyleWayne View Post
    MJ grew up surviving off the kindness of relatives and taking fast-food type jobs to help her family survive. She's a working class gal.

Maybe this is a UK exclusive thing, but if you're born working class you're always working class, no matter how well you do in later life. And it's not an insult, it's a badge of pride!
    harryosborn.net -Me rereading every single comic that has Harry Osborn in it, and also writing some articles.

MJ grew up surviving off the kindness of relatives and taking fast-food type jobs to help her family survive. She's a working class gal.

Maybe this is a UK exclusive thing, but if you're born working class you're always working class, no matter how well you do in later life. And it's not an insult, it's a badge of pride!
    That attitude does exist in the US to an extent.

BANNED

Spider-Man#4 spoiler

spoilers:
    Spinnerett can't be turned to a wasp because she's human and only shares powers with Peter using technology. She's not alone either, any Spider that isn't human is immune from the wasp's stings
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

MJ-Spinneret makes an appearance in Spider-Man #4 today. spoilers:
    She's one of the few that's immune from being turned as she's a human that's tapping into her Peter's powers and the others are monsters and video game characters
    end of spoilers

yeah must be a UK thing
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Huh, I didn't think about that possibly being part of the plot.