Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

That’s a surprising development. Are they going to address the elephant in the room that spoilers:
    Jace doesn’t look anything like his biological mother?
    end of spoilers
    He’s never been drawn as spoilers:
    mixed race
    end of spoilers and in-universe it’s very suspicious that nobody ever noticed anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    That’s a surprising development. Are they going to address the elephant in the room that spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    mixed race
    end of spoilers and in-universe it’s very suspicious that nobody ever noticed anything.
    Yeah, considering how he'd been depicted and advertised at this point, I have a hard time seeing this revelation being as impactful or meaningful as a it should be.

Which makes me wonder what even is the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, considering how he'd been depicted and advertised at this point, I have a hard time seeing this revelation being as impactful or meaningful as a it should be.

Which makes me wonder what even is the point?
    Ridley’s wife is apparently Asian. Guess it was to give his blasian kids a Batman who looked like them.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    end of spoilers
    mixed race
    We have had projects where that has happened.

See Baywatch
    See Jurassic Park the 2nd or 3rd movie
    See Senseless with Marlon Wayans
    See Southern Cross (original version not the Robotech version)
    See Star Trek TNG and DS9.

spoilers:

Where black kids had white parents and didn't look it.

Or in my case my cousin who married a Hispanic man and they had 3 daughters. The youngest didn't look black. Not one black feature. Which caused issues at school when my cousin went to go pick up her child.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Yup I am quickly not becoming a fan of this development.
    To much daily soap and to few crime fighting imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    and all this on top of that he's still hoarding money that is technically Bruce's.
    Wondering when that is finally returned.

I'm not feeling the new development. The family drama is pretty stacked already so it feels like an unnecessary load. But there's 2 more issues so we'll see how it goes.

I don't mind the desire for representation but there were an easier ways to get it. Like gave Jace a new love interest that is Asian and them be a couple in Future State.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-08-2023 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Probably when writers are more comfortable writing a rich protagonist again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ridley’s wife is apparently Asian. Guess it was to give his blasian kids a Batman who looked like them.
    Ooohhhhhhh...that makes a lot of sense. But it's coming in so last minute I'm not sure if it's going to take.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Just seems a little odd that they make their "Black Batman" suddenly half Asian...

Astonishing Member

One possibility is that spoilers:
    Jace’s mother is half Asian herself, which might explain the lack of it coming up in terms of appearance?
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm not feeling the new development. The family drama is pretty stacked already so it feels like an unnecessary load. But there's 2 more issues so we'll see how it goes.

I don't mind the desire for representation but there were an easier ways to get it. Like gave Jace a new love interest that is Asian and them be a couple in Future State.
    Well that is what writers like Ridley do. Throw in stuff that is not really needed. Especially if it mean trashing in this Lucious Fox.

I remember a certain tv show pulled this same stunt. The show suffered a 75% rating decrease as it turned folks OFF, got a producer fired and one of the current cast members of Abbot Elementary on ABC written off the show-because she didn't like the story either.

Astonishing Member

I appreciate that Jace’s perspective of why Luke doesn’t like him is skewed (and the fact that he was clearly being set up to break bad and be Jace’s owlman figure before 5G died); but it says a lot that he thinks this is why Luke holds a grudge and not everything else

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    One possibility is that spoilers:
    Jace’s mother is half Asian herself, which might explain the lack of it coming up in terms of appearance?
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Her first name is "Elena" so she might be half-Japanese, but then making him a quarter Japanese...I dunno, is there a point?
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    To much daily soap and to few crime fighting imo.

Yeah I know superheroes are supposed to have some level of personal drama but this is too much

Doesn't help that Jace has barely fought any supervillains this book, just the one not that wacky serial killer and a random encounter with Sinestro

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well that is what writers like Ridley do. Throw in stuff that is not really needed. Especially if it mean trashing in this Lucious Fox.

I remember a certain tv show pulled this same stunt. The show suffered a 75% rating decrease as it turned folks OFF, got a producer fired and one of the current cast members of Abbot Elementary on ABC written off the show-because she didn't like the story either.
    You must mean Moesha. What a weird way to get Brandy’s real life brother into the show.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    You must mean Moesha. What a weird way to get Brandy’s real life brother into the show.
    You are correct.

Yes that show had that big of a decline and still got renewed.