Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I also hope it leads into an announcement of a new series as well
    Me too.

Jace has the problem as Jon in that their series meander a lot. There are good ideas but the wait to get to them can cause people to jump off early.

Regardless I love Jace and he's the best new character so far. So I'm hoping he gets a season 2 even if it's a miniseries.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Me too.

Jace has the problem as Jon in that their series meander a lot. There are good ideas but the wait to get to them can cause people to jump off early.

Regardless I love Jace and he's the best new character so far. So I'm hoping he gets a season 2 even if it's a miniseries.
    Hopefully with a different writer, really Ridley is the main barrier holding back Jace

Though it is amusing how even so his DC efforts are going better than his work at Marvel where his reputation is completely trashed by his God-awful character assassinating run of Black Panther.

Dude should just stick to DC

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Hopefully with a different writer, really Ridley is the main barrier holding back Jace

Though it is amusing how even so his DC efforts are going better than his work at Marvel where his reputation is completely trashed by his God-awful character assassinating run of Black Panther.

Dude should just stick to DC
    I'm the opposite as I feel like his work on BP is better than his work on Jace so far. It doesn't drag as much and feels more focused. Plus the genre bending is better and Tosin reads like a younger version of Jace to me.

So maybe he's better at Marvel than DC. I don't mind Jace getting a new writer as that would cement his longevity but outside of Priest most of the writers I want on Jace are at Marvel.

Ram V would be interesting but i rather see him do the Question instead. Same with Ridley honestly as the Question does noir better than Batman to me.

Geoffrey Thorne of Blood Syndicate would be interesting.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-27-2023 at 07:06 PM.

I'm the opposite as I feel like his work on BP is better than his work on Jace so far. It doesn't drag as much and feels more focused. Plus the genre bending is better and Tosin reads like a younger version of Jace to me.

So maybe he's better at Marvel than DC. I don't mind Jace getting a new writer as that would cement his longevity but outside of Priest most of the writers I want on Jace are at Marvel.

Ram V would be interesting but i rather see him do the Question instead. Same with Ridley honestly as the Question does noir better than Batman to me.

I did like his John Stewart stuff so his Batman could be fun to read
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Huh I find his BP to actively drag itself (especially the current issues which is clearly padding itself with irrelevant conflicts to drag the conflict longer than it has to be), isn't particularly focused beyond T'Challa being a weak terrible guy, and Tosin is an even more irritating shallow version of Jace. Like I'm fairly critical on his Batman run but compared to Black Panther, I Am Batman is a virtual masterpiece.

And plus the all around terrible optics of having Captain America beat the **** out of Black Panther who isn't even putting up a fight.

Like its honestly surprising how actively amateur his Black Panther is compared to his at least competent run on Batman.

Well I did like Thorne's Blood Syndicate so yeah give him a shot at Jace.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 01-27-2023 at 08:07 PM.

Do you think they'd consistently adapt that he has an Asian mother from a problematic affair?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Do you think they'd consistently adapt that he has an Asian mother from a problematic affair?
    Hard to say, guess it will depend on how far they run with it having an impact on Jace.

How it impacts Lucius is another story but honestly he’s only human and sometimes things like this do happen. Hopefully it is treated more as a heat of the moment mistake then an abuse of power. I also think the fact he and his wife are still together and have a younger daughter in Tiffany has to mean there’s a more personal side to this story we haven’t learned and that some sort of reconciliation took place.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Hard to say, guess it will depend on how far they run with it having an impact on Jace.

How it impacts Lucius is another story but honestly he’s only human and sometimes things like this do happen. Hopefully it is treated more as a heat of the moment mistake then an abuse of power. I also think the fact he and his wife are still together and have a younger daughter in Tiffany has to mean there’s a more personal side to this story we haven’t learned and that some sort of reconciliation took place.
    It's not a good look for Lucius one way or another.

For Jace...it seems like the emphasis is so much on him being black and his family drama with his black family that it feels like any Asian ethnicity will always take a back seat. Compared to Miles Morales who was raised in both cultures.

It's not a good look for Lucius one way or another.

For Jace...it seems like the emphasis is so much on him being black and his family drama with his black family that it feels like any Asian ethnicity will always take a back seat. Compared to Miles Morales who was raised in both cultures.
    They could treat it for Jace as attempting to learn a part of himself that he never knew about. Maybe he will start to learn more about Asian culture that he never knew he was connected to.

Or it could go ignored, depends on how future writers treat it.
    Words to live by.

I feel like the best way to handle that is just changed it to being from a prior marriage Lucius had. No affair, no adultery, no complicated drama, he just had a thing with another woman before he met Tanya, it didn't work out but they are on good terms and Jace gets along fine with his bio mom and step mom.

Don't make it a secret parental reveal, just have it normalized actually apart of the character from the start.

There's no guarantee that Jace will even get adapted so I guess it's a cross when that bridge when we get there kind a thing.

Unless Ridley adapts it or other writers develop it further I could see it going the way of Dick's Romani Heritage or Barry's Twin Brother.

I feel like the best way to handle that is just changed it to being from a prior marriage Lucius had. No affair, no adultery, no complicated drama, he just had a thing with another woman before he met Tanya, it didn't work out but they are on good terms and Jace gets along fine with his bio mom and step mom.

Don't make it a secret parental reveal, just have it normalized actually apart of the character from the start.
    This works too but you could do some drama. Jace's birth mom could've disagree with Lucious and Tanya pulling strings for Jace in prison.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-28-2023 at 08:00 AM.

That would work better, but it feels like it would get drowned out by his dynamic with the Fox family which is more integral to the character. At least in my opinion.

Huh I find his BP to actively drag itself (especially the current issues which is clearly padding itself with irrelevant conflicts to drag the conflict longer than it has to be), isn't particularly focused beyond T'Challa being a weak terrible guy, and Tosin is an even more irritating shallow version of Jace. Like I'm fairly critical on his Batman run but compared to Black Panther, I Am Batman is a virtual masterpiece.

And plus the all around terrible optics of having Captain America beat the **** out of Black Panther who isn't even putting up a fight.

Like its honestly surprising how actively amateur his Black Panther is compared to his at least competent run on Batman.

Well I did like Thorne's Blood Syndicate so yeah give him a shot at Jace.
    Compared to the Second Son and Fear State, it moves fast, feels focused and it works in the context of the Marvel Universe.

In comparison Jace feels like an indie character stuck in DC. He feels out of place and it's not something Ridley addresses well till NY.

It could be a holdover from Future State and he's not the only one that suffers. But how patient you are and how well the books age are up to the individual.

I wished Ridley did like Jenisin on Far Sector and skipped the setup of Jace as Batman. NY is where he shines so I wished we got there sooner.

Tosin works as a side character in an ensemble. He's more Shuri's rival than T'Challa's rival. Those are Jhai, the prime Minister and the head of Harut Zeire. T'challa should've put him in his place issues ago but he had bigger fish to fry.

There are some questionable moments like the Cap fight you mentioned or the Buffalo Soldier subplot with the aliens but those are aspects I'd tweak not cut.

Jace is the only Future State that feels like deep and interesting character than a cool design. But in hindsight I wonder how much of these retcons were really necessary.

The original stories for Tim Fox give him a strong hook already. So making him the next Robin would've been an easier stepping stone to making him the Next Batman. You wouldn't have to retcon Lucious much to do it and the family drama would still be there.

Plus Future State becomes a better setup for his adventures. That event would've worked better if it was like Future's End. A more defined look at the future than the random snapshots we got.

I feel like adaptations are where the new creations would shine. They've worked for Miles and Jon and made them better their current or recent comics. So this era is like a first draft that would get honed if Jace ever made it into a movie.

In Gilded Age, there is an 19th century vigilante called Runaway who was revealed to be a black woman named Foxworthy. Maybe Narcisse could do a followup with the Fox clan discovering that connection?

That would work better, but it feels like it would get drowned out by his dynamic with the Fox family which is more integral to the character. At least in my opinion.
    It would work better in a tv show than a movie. Movies have to be more laser focused while TV allows you more leeway in subplots.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-28-2023 at 09:10 AM.

I’d watch a Jace Fox animated series, though given the passing of Kevin Conroy it will be best to really separate from his line of work.
    Words to live by.

I’d watch a Jace Fox animated series, though given the passing of Kevin Conroy it will be best to really separate from his line of work.
    They used other actors for Batman so I don't think Conroy's passing will affect it.