Page 55 of 72 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    We'll see.

It's always damning for me to re-read older comics, but Sensational Spider-Man #34 vol2 is a really good Black Cat issue that shows just how far she's come, and I would have killed for a fraction of that kind of writing on this book today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    Taking Aguirre-Sacasa (and David) off writing Spider-man was one of the worse side-effects of OMD.
    Indeed. I loved how she talked down the Rhino from his then-latest rampage by telling him that neither of them had to be what other people expected them to be, that they could do more than just live down to the reputations they'd been saddled with in the past. That was a beautiful summation of her growth in characterization over the years.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Indeed. I loved how she talked down the Rhino from his then-latest rampage by telling him that neither of them had to be what other people expected them to be, that they could do more than just live down to the reputations they'd been saddled with in the past. That was a beautiful summation of her growth in characterization over the years.
    Something else OMD undid.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Something else OMD undid.
    Never forget.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Here's what's odd about the reason for the break up to me.

spoilers:
    Felicia crashes the Bachelorette party for Janice, she has a talk with the Beetle and Janice reveals that Randy tries to convince her to change her ways, which shows he really cares about her. Felicia then begins to doubt her own relationship with Peter because he doesn't work towards the goal of redeeming her.

Except this parallel doesn't quite work. Beetle is a villain who's fine with hurting people. Felicia regularly performs heroic acts, either by herself or when she's teaming up with another hero, hardly does any stealing and when she does engage in theft, she does her best to avoid people getting hurt. If anything, Peter and Felicia have the kind of relationship Randy and Janice wish they had.
    end of spoilers

Still, Felicia was perhaps the least aggravating part of this run.

Oh well. We can only go up from here.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-10-2023 at 12:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Here's what's odd about the reason for the break up to me.

spoilers:
    Felicia crashes the Bachelorette party for Janice, she has a talk with the Beetle and Janice reveals that Randy tries to convince her to change her ways, which shows he really cares about her. Felicia then begins to doubt her own relationship with Peter because he doesn't work towards the goal of redeeming her.

Except this parallel doesn't quite work. Beetle is a villain who's fine with hurting people. Felicia regularly performs heroic acts, either by herself or when she's teaming up with another hero, hardly does any stealing and when she does engage in theft, she does her best to avoid people getting hurt. If anything, Peter and Felicia have the kind of relationship Randy and Janice wish they had.
    end of spoilers

Still, Felicia was perhaps the least aggravating part of this run.

Oh well. We can only go up from here.
    You're completely right. Which is why the reasoning is probably the most dumb. Essentially they decided to break them up because Peter and Felicia are in a good place with one another and don't have any issues :P

So Felicia's now officially in the "Why did you break them up?" "Because they were too good for each other." pile of Peter love interests :3 An upgrade from before, but not any less dumb

But when you have a writer that thinks couples not yelling at each other or constantly having conflict is a *bad* thing, you'll find they enjoy ending healthy relationships for no reason other than 'well it's healthy'. :3
    Last edited by Majesty; 08-10-2023 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I query your "hardly does any stealing". Pretty much all the stories in Jed Mackay's run consist of Felicia sets out to steal something. And it's great from a storytelling point of view. But not something Peter could bring himself to approve of.
    I don't think the Peter / Felicia relationship could work as long as Felicia is a thief. But... in a healthy relationship that's either up to Felicia to decide or else for Peter to make it clear that it's a red line before they start the relationship. It's not healthy for Peter to get into the relationship and then try to change Felicia. (Unless she keeps forgetting to replace the toilet roll.)

But since when does Felicia take relationship advice from Janice Lincoln? True, Felicia started out as a naive teenaged girl with a crush - but she has matured since then. Jed Mackay's Felicia is a confident young woman who understands what she's about.
    end of spoilers
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Lesley Leirix Li The Amazing Spider-Man #34

https://twitter.com/TheComicAwakens/...59318381260800

The real purpose of having Mj and Felicia in this run is for the variants.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

The funniest thing about Felicia's "I want a relationship, not a project" is the reveal that she already has a project. Turning MJ into a superhero.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    The funniest thing about Felicia's "I want a relationship, not a project" is the reveal that she already has a project. Turning MJ into a superhero.
    Perhaps Felicia will get injured by Kraven and will make Peter and her realize their feelings for each other

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Perhaps Felicia will get injured by Kraven and will make Peter and her realize their feelings for each other
    That relationship is done, at least as far as this run is concerned. It's gonna be a while before someone tries to pair them up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    That relationship is done, at least as far as this run is concerned. It's gonna be a while before someone tries to pair them up again.
    I’m still gobsmacked that the second most popular living love interest finally hooks up for a serious relationship with Peter after over 30 years, she’s in basically 4 issues, nothing of interest happens, and they break up because Peter ISN’T trying to change her and she “doesn’t want a project” while totally treating MJ like a project.

If I was a hardcore Felicia/Peter fan, I’d be screaming at the walls.

So we’re betting on her being a guest character in the Jackpot mini, right? Or is another solo in her future, we think?

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    This is why I say I spend time enjoying it however long it lasts because they could end it at any moment for whatever reason no matter how dumb. So I'm glad I did that instead of the latter. As someone familiar with the two and how writing can just 'decide' to change things, you get used to expecting that at some point. That's why it's best to enjoy when they're doing something with it because they can switch at any second. As a comic lover for years, it's just a reality to face.
    100% this. It's just how comics work. It was an incredibly short pairing and I'd like to have to have seen them really attempt to run with it a little, but I'm happy we got to see a modern take on them in a relationship at all after years of teasing it. Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened, etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just wish it was better written/handled.
    That too though
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

This felt like a correction by Wells part. Like they realised how unhappy the readers were and how regressive the relationship was and decided to end it. I'm happy they've split, but at the same time, they never felt like a couple. They kissed, she disappeared for months, they have that mini arc at the spa, she disappears again, then they split.

Quote Originally Posted by scouse mouse View Post
    This felt like a correction by Wells part. Like they realised how unhappy the readers were and how regressive the relationship was and decided to end it. I'm happy they've split, but at the same time, they never felt like a couple. They kissed, she disappeared for months, they have that mini arc at the spa, she disappears again, then they split.
    Comic scripts are written and turned in many months in advance, so I doubt this is in reply to any section of readers tbh.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«