Page 153 of 211 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163203 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,295 of 3154

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    She had the demeanor of a teenage girl who is all affectionate towards a man who never even raised her.
    We are talking about a woman who for the majority of her life actually had actual family and friends in her life, and her brief time with Magneto in Brotherhood is less than pleasant.
    At best she may feel pity towards Erik but being an all meek and teary eyed little girl? Nah, that's some fanfic level shit.
    If that's what we are going to get whenever they show up together in the future, then the relationship is not worth having, not saying it's worth having anyway since I don't think it contribute much other than feeding the fanfare, but at least it was not a cringefest.

And hot take, if this is a romantic relationship, people would have been screaming toxic from the their lungs, heck, Vision got called abusive in platforms like Tumblr for god-knows-what-reasons, but Magneto got a pass.
    That's also kinda the case with "daddy Darth Vader", who had children's books and other merchandise, yes, Vader, the space Fascist who had a hand in murdering both Luke and Leia's adoptive parents.
    At least the canon never pretend Vader is actually a deeply caring person inside and shit, dude's redemption came at the very end, and dude is actually important to Luke's arc, while Luke did want to turn Vader around to the light, he was certainly under no delusion that his father is anything but a villain. And dude is a Jedi whose ideology includes not dwelling on hatred. And Leia pretty much hated Vader for a long time and only kinda understood him long after(and it was framed as empathy towards Anakin than Vader in EU).
    Now imagine a scenario where Vader somehow survived and tried to redeem himself, I can see Leia cutting him some slack but if she start calling him "daddy" I will rightfully call it character assassination lol.
    Granted Magneto is not as bad as Vader but the basic line follows.
    Totally agree. I hate the whole Daddy Magneto thing. Also it never did anything for Wanda's character, it was more to help humanise Magneto by having him people he actually cared about. For Wanda, all it did was the equivalent of "She's Magneto's Daughter, don't you know?"

So we got the #10 issue confirmed for Scarlet Witch, hopefully we get more.

Extraordinary Member

Hopefully Hexfinder stays around for longer.
    I kinda want to see her to be more like Desak, who went after the hero for being mages/gods, but withdraw after some "proving honor" moment, but they will still be out there keeping an eye on our heroes with some suspicion. Basically the conflict shouldn't be resolved completely in one arc, so the character can come back as either friend or foe.

Also I kinda hope Wanda will just argue "bruh, Alchemy is actually also magic, unless you are just a really fancy chemist".
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 07-22-2023 at 04:09 AM.

She had the demeanor of a teenage girl who is all affectionate towards a man who never even raised her.
    We are talking about a woman who for the majority of her life actually had actual family and friends in her life, and her brief time with Magneto in Brotherhood is less than pleasant.
    At best she may feel pity towards Erik but being an all meek and teary eyed little girl? Nah, that's some fanfic level shit.
    If that's what we are going to get whenever they show up together in the future, then the relationship is not worth having, not saying it's worth having anyway since I don't think it contribute much other than feeding the fanfare, but at least it was not a cringefest.

And hot take, if this is a romantic relationship, people would have been screaming toxic from the their lungs, heck, Vision got called abusive in platforms like Tumblr for god-knows-what-reasons, but Magneto got a pass.
    That's also kinda the case with "daddy Darth Vader", who had children's books and other merchandise, yes, Vader, the space Fascist who had a hand in murdering both Luke and Leia's adoptive parents.
    At least the canon never pretend Vader is actually a deeply caring person inside and shit, dude's redemption came at the very end, and dude is actually important to Luke's arc, while Luke did want to turn Vader around to the light, he was certainly under no delusion that his father is anything but a villain. And dude is a Jedi whose ideology includes not dwelling on hatred. And Leia pretty much hated Vader for a long time and only kinda understood him long after(and it was framed as empathy towards Anakin than Vader in EU).
    Now imagine a scenario where Vader somehow survived and tried to redeem himself, I can see Leia cutting him some slack but if she start calling him "daddy" I will rightfully call it character assassination lol.
    Granted Magneto is not as bad as Vader but the basic line follows.
    I think you are simply a bit unfair here and take things too seriously. Things are malleable to a certain extent and they even have to be. I remember reading Hickman saying something like: "Canon isn't what's written on page. It's what sticks in peoples minds." and it's certainly something to think about. I mean your Vader example is actually a good example of that. It's doesn't matter how many crimes and cruelties you show him doing on screen or on page. You will never be able to tarnish the image of him that people have in their minds. He is cool and people want to see more of him.

Like I already brought up a few times. House of M is a constant comic Top 100 seller on Amazon. The comic has as of this writing 2,391 ratings and it's rated 4.7 out of 5 stars. This is probably another showcase where people have already made up their mind about something and there is no changing that. You can bring up all kinds of evidence that doesn't support this image but people still won't care and change their minds.

Now Im not saying you are now supposed to become a fan or something. You can still have your opinion about it but like I said there is no real point in taking things too seriously. These are just comics at the end of the day and they are supposed to be entertainment so my standpoint is pretty simple on this. I don't see a problem as long as the story is good and entertaining. After all that's the entire point of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Wanda's current costume is *chef's kiss*. It's such a perfect blend of elements from many of her previous costumes. And it seems like many artists have fun drawing it.
    Yeah Russel Dauterman really created a masterpiece. Obviously comics are still comics so nothing is guaranteed but I see this costume staying for a long time. In general Wanda has been gorgeous throughout this entire run so far. Even in casual clothing they really have given her a very good style and the artists seem to have fun with that too.

Hopefully Hexfinder stays around for longer.
    I kinda want to see her to be more like Desak, who went after the hero for being mages/gods, but withdraw after some "proving honor" moment, but they will still be out there keeping an eye on our heroes with some suspicion. Basically the conflict shouldn't be resolved completely in one arc, so the character can come back as either friend or foe.

Also I kinda hope Wanda will just argue "bruh, Alchemy is actually also magic, unless you are just a really fancy chemist".
    I don't know if she will have a problem with magic in general or just witchcraft. Kinda like how Necromancy/Blood magic/Dark magic are frowned upon and forbidden in many fantasy worlds but other magic is totally fine. I guess we will have to see why she and her ancestors have such a problem with witches in particular that they even decided to hunt them.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Wanda's current costume is *chef's kiss*. It's such a perfect blend of elements from many of her previous costumes. And it seems like many artists have fun drawing it.
    Yeah. I'm disappointed we haven't gotten any figures of this or Wada's version.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    I think you are simply a bit unfair here and take things too seriously. Things are malleable to a certain extent and they even have to be. I remember reading Hickman saying something like: "Canon isn't what's written on page. It's what sticks in peoples minds." and it's certainly something to think about. I mean your Vader example is actually a good example of that. It's doesn't matter how many crimes and cruelties you show him doing on screen or on page. You will never be able to tarnish the image of him that people have in their minds. He is cool and people want to see more of him.

Like I already brought up a few times. House of M is a constant comic Top 100 seller on Amazon. The comic has as of this writing 2,391 ratings and it's rated 4.7 out of 5 stars. This is probably another showcase where people have already made up their mind about something and there is no changing that. You can bring up all kinds of evidence that doesn't support this image but people still won't care and change their minds.
    Sorry buddy, I can be chill and unserious if it's your run-of-the-mill dumb fanfic and ships, but I legitimately see anything HoM-adjecent to be a serious threat.

Also yes and no about the Vader example, yes Vader is in a similar position for a popular villain who are filtered through some rose-tinted glasses, but no sane writer will sacrifice Luke and Leia's characters to make Vader more palatable, "daddy Vader" children's books and some other merchandise are the most you get from the official source.

But Magneto/House of M on the other hand is a legit threat, they don't just exist on a coffee mug, they are known to hijack Wanda's character and mold her into whatever her daughter role requires her to be, and inspire some of the worst adaptions/interpretations of her. HoM is rated pretty high and maybe judged as "good" by the general audience, but what did it get her into? Or do you think the lack of publication and appearance is not a problem?

If I just want to see a "good and entertaining" story, I will exclusively check the original works of my favorite fantasy authors and never look back. And you do know people enjoy characters, for their characterizations right? People want to see characters behave a certain way. Granted for fossil characters people have less ideas on how they should behave, but more about how they shouldn't.(People may have different ideas on how competent Batman should be, but most fans do agree he should have a no-kill rule)I think you do understand that Wanda having the personality of a meek little girl straight up killed my interests and entertainment right? That is kinda my "Batman doesn't kill" bottom line, so to me it's not a good and entertaining story.(At least in stories where Batman kill, there are some form of explanations, for Wanda she literally installs a new personality module and run with it.)
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 07-22-2023 at 10:17 AM.

I think the reason AD/HoM sell so well is people are trying to get to know comics Wanda and for a long time and for most of her history she didn't have much of her own. Much of her stories are in Avengers Volume 1. And it's just this huge thing to tackle that's very inaccessable to most people. Because there are people who have read it and walked away with the opinion that it did not treat Wanda great at all. Plus Marvel re-releases stuff constantly and collectors collect everything.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

If I just want to see a "good and entertaining" story, I will exclusively check the original works of my favorite fantasy authors and never look back. And you do know people enjoy characters, for their characterizations right? People want to see characters behave a certain way. Granted for fossil characters people have less ideas on how they should behave, but more about how they shouldn't.(People may have different ideas on how competent Batman should be, but most fans do agree he should have a no-kill rule)I think you do understand that Wanda having the personality of a meek little girl straight up killed my interests and entertainment right? That is kinda my "Batman doesn't kill" bottom line, so to me it's not a good and entertaining story.(At least in stories where Batman kill, there are some form of explanations, for Wanda she literally installs a new personality module and run with it.)
    No offense, but what is Marvel or any of the rest of us supposed to do about that? Your opinion of Wanda is not more legitimate than anyone else's, and you're not more of a fan for hating House of M/Disassembled than anyone else who enjoys it is. Whether you like or want to accept it or not, it is one of Wanda's most iconic stories and has informed her characterization going forward. You can either get with the times (and really, get with 2004 - onward) or not, but at this point it sounds like the only obstacle blocking your enjoyment of the character is your own rigidity.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    No offense, but what is Marvel or any of the rest of us supposed to do about that? Your opinion of Wanda is not more legitimate than anyone else's, and you're not more of a fan for hating House of M/Disassembled than anyone else who enjoys it is. Whether you like or want to accept it or not, it is one of Wanda's most iconic stories and has informed her characterization going forward. You can either get with the times (and really, get with 2004 - onward) or not, but at this point it sounds like the only obstacle blocking your enjoyment of the character is your own rigidity.
    I fail to see how your attempt to shame the person is helpful. They don't like the idea and express so. That is their right and to be honest, expressing your opinion is how thing changes. I don't like the story or the changes either. Who knows maybe one day someone will read their opinion and become a writer and change it. It's their right. They're not breaking any rules. Also Hickman's thoughts as put up their is bs and hypocritical. Apocalypse is a character he has refitted so it doesn't resemble Apocalypse at all. Especially as he tried removing all Celestial connection to a character that had it since day 1. The reality is whoever writes the popular decides what true because most readers don't care. Nothing changes in this world unless you say so. They don't like it, they have the right to say so.

I don't have the power to shame anyone for their views, I am simply responding to them with my own, as you have. Let's not be dramatic.

Incredible Member

I don't have the power to shame anyone for their views, I am simply responding to them with my own, as you have. Let's not be dramatic.
    I mean you are. You are the one suggesting things they never stated and said they are acting like they are more of fan. When they did nothing but state their thoughts. But that's off topic and the thread is not about either of us. So I'll leave it at that.

Extraordinary Member

Uh what? Am I not allowed to voice my discontent if I don't like a character's depiction? You know this is CBR forum right? Where most characters' threads grow large and lengthy due to discontent and the drama from it lol?

If there is one thing that comic fans are good at, it is voicing discontent, unless you want to argue that is a privilege for the mega A-listers, then it is my god given right to talk about this. And it is your god given right to say you totally like this as a counter argument.

But saying "ohhhhh, what can you or have Marvel do about it?" is such a dumb argument, sure, what can we do about it when Wanda got nuked out of comics for 7 years? Imagine saying we were not allowed to complain back then and shit.

In an ideal world she should have ride her new gained popularity and build a new content base distinct from her HoM and aftermath era so she won't be plagued by it anymore. She is more or less in the right track but I don't think X-franchise interactions post ToM is helping.
    The real ways to bury those kinds of comic storyline is generally have a definitive end and never make a big deal out of it again. Heck, just look at Hank Pym, even good faith revisit of his slap event doomed him more because it inevitably branded that into his core character.(And encourage future writers to take shot at it.)
    For Wanda, redeemer might be a cushy fancy new title, but it is still tied to HoM, for their relationship to be normalized that will need to be ditched as well, guess that will have to be after Krakoa era.
    As for Magneto, while I think another HoM due to that connection alone is not likely, he still has a maturity dampening aura, I am sorry some may not see it as an issue but I would rather them to be kept apart.
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 07-22-2023 at 09:05 PM.

A beautiful father/daughter moment

5B54107C-0F38-4288-8A8D-B6A63B9CADF8.jpg
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    A beautiful father/daughter moment

5B54107C-0F38-4288-8A8D-B6A63B9CADF8.jpg
    Granted that happened before the reveal but it is still creepy

Getting back to this. This was the stage for the Hellfire Gala at SDCC and look who is on full display.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1683023316720979971

"This is me being reasonable"