Page 168 of 211 FirstFirst ... 68118158164165166167168169170171172178 ... LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 3154
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Hmmmm...a familiar for Wanda...too bad she couldn't take Joseph and make him like Maleficent's Diaval and have him shift between mutant/clone and animal/demon forms. If they are going to keep the character in Wanda's orbit, that would bend him more into her magickal genre and have echos of Sandman's Matthew the Raven as well. Having the clone of one's father as one's familiar fits with the re-purpose and upgrade treatment that this volume has taken with characters in Wanda's orbit thus far. Probably better than the character deserves...man-bun and all...
    Is that cat a Marvel character or just a random cat?(Also a somewhat accurately drawn jewel crown is nice lol.)
    As for Joseph, not really, I would rather have Modred, with former Chthonic ties and what not, plus he is British.
    Again I prefer shared lore background than some filmsy family ties, Joseph is alright but his existence will naturally lead to a lot of Magneto-related stuff which I just don't care for.(Mainly due to the cringey "found family" angle they try to sell.)
    Last edited by MaximoffTrash; 08-21-2023 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    There have been limits put on Wanda's reality warping. It's typically when she's tapping into an energy outside of herself. And at times she's powered down. So I don't think she can do it necessarily at will. It has be from some complicated spell, from the life force, from tapping more into Chthon than before, Simon's energies, the PF even during AvX.

I think it's to keep her from being too uber all the time because those types of characters become harder to write. Instead she has much smaller but still significant feats. Like trapping someone in stone, or making it so a sword doesn't impale her. Little gestures instead of full on changing all of reality around her.
    Here is the thing though. Wanda's fresh start and status quo is so in more ways then one. Current Wanda is incredibly powerful, knowledgeable and confident. This is true everywhere you look. Be it her own book, the Avengers or in any other guest or cameo appearance.
    How things used to be 5 or more years ago is quite frankly no longer relevant because things have changed dramatically in more ways then one.
    Last edited by Galerion; 08-21-2023 at 01:53 AM.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Here is the thing though. Wanda's fresh start and status quo is so in more ways then one. Current Wanda is incredibly powerful, knowledgeable and confident. This is true everywhere you look. Be it her own book, the Avengers or in any other guest or cameo appearance.
    How things used to be 5 or more years ago is quite frankly no longer relevant because things have changed dramatically in more ways then one.
    Yes, now things are more thought out with her. She uses long spells instead of trying to rewrite reality on a whim. But the tapping into energies thing is still relevant for her. Even the spell on Krakoa needed mutants in on the spell to make it happen, while Wanda was using the energies of Krakoa itself. Her whole thing is using energies. Which is why the link to Chthon exists. She's just usually only able to tap into a fraction of his powers. And right now, some of her abilities and concentration are put towards keeping him imprisoned. She's not freely changing reality. She never really was without tapping into something else. Even while making her own sons, she was tapping into the energies of the earth and the essences of witches during a spell. She's not pointing her finger or saying a few lines and making it happen on a typical basis. That's still been the exception and not the rule.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Hmmmm...a familiar for Wanda...too bad she couldn't take Joseph and make him like Maleficent's Diaval and have him shift between mutant/clone and animal/demon forms. If they are going to keep the character in Wanda's orbit, that would bend him more into her magickal genre and have echos of Sandman's Matthew the Raven as well. Having the clone of one's father as one's familiar fits with the re-purpose and upgrade treatment that this volume has taken with characters in Wanda's orbit thus far. Probably better than the character deserves...man-bun and all...

I'm not into the idea of a human familiar. There's just something off for me about it.

It's impossible without either powering down the hero or making the villain annoyingly even more uber. And in a team situation even worse, because the team will be dead or beaten, leaving the OP hero to solve the problem yet again.

Wanda with the anti-magic metal is not at the level of being able to warp all of reality at will. That is Wanda powered down compared to other situations.
    Well what I was more or less trying to say is that villains can be clever and skillful to exploit a weakness instead of having to power Wanda down or having to make them even more powerful. Personally, I don’t see it as one way or the other, there are ways to make a story compelling without having to nerf someone or make the villain powerful, but making a villain rely on skill and knowledge to get around powerful characters attacks. The anti magic metal is still a weakness just as it doesn’t bring down Wanda’s power level, but makes her face a challenge and think of a different way to use her power and skill when she can’t directly influence someone or something that is resistant to magic.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    Well what I was more or less trying to say is that villains can be clever and skillful to exploit a weakness instead of having to power Wanda down or having to make them even more powerful. Personally, I don’t see it as one way or the other, there are ways to make a story compelling without having to nerf someone or make the villain powerful, but making a villain rely on skill and knowledge to get around powerful characters attacks. The anti magic metal is still a weakness just as it doesn’t bring down Wanda’s power level, but makes her face a challenge and think of a different way to use her power and skill when she can’t directly influence someone or something that is resistant to magic.
    That instance still makes it so if they are able to challenge the op hero, that in a team setting they just wipe the floor with everyone. I think it's a lot better how they've written Wanda that conditions have to be right, and the spell has to be right. It allows her magical prowess to be explored. It tends to put her character instead of her feats first. And she has to actually think about what she's doing. It allows for her history as a tactician to come through as well.

And that's not even getting into the fact that most at will reality warpers end up being depicted as villains.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 08-21-2023 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Thanks for mentioning your mom. I'm going to be flirting + possibly making out with her in a few months."
    Eh. It's just Loki. Let him enjoy his cosplay

and being around Wanda. As long as there are no horses involved...
    "This is me being reasonable"

Extraordinary Member

WandaVision is getting a Blu-Ray release on November 29.

(A real Blu-Ray, not the steelbook with no discs inside, that was a different company.)
    Last edited by gurkle; 08-21-2023 at 07:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    Eh. It's just Loki. Let him enjoy his cosplay

and being around Wanda. As long as there are no horses involved...
    That creeped me out. Because of him not just dressing up like Wanda. It was after he had stolen Sif's body without her consent. Then dressed up like Wanda to torment a child about her father being killed by Wanda.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post

(A real Blu-Ray, not the steelbook with no discs inside, that was a different company.)

That instance still makes it so if they are able to challenge the op hero, that in a team setting they just wipe the floor with everyone. I think it's a lot better how they've written Wanda that conditions have to be right, and the spell has to be right. It allows her magical prowess to be explored. It tends to put her character instead of her feats first. And she has to actually think about what she's doing. It allows for her history as a tactician to come through as well.

And that's not even getting into the fact that most at will reality warpers end up being depicted as villains.
    I agree on Wanda’s character development, but feats and character don’t have to be mutually exclusive. As a character through contemplation and discovery can understand how they get to certain points and express why they did what they did. Letting the character development lead the feat is something that does occur in comic books. When it comes to team books you have them face different levels of combatants with different characters so everyone has opportunities to shine. Like right know Wanda’s taking on an army of undead and battling the commander, yeah she may not be doing high level of reality warping, but she is someone who shows she doesn’t need to go overboard. You have foot soldiers or grunts then you have those who are in command and the rulers or masterminds. You just don’t wipe the floor with everyone the character faces, but just the ones that aren’t as much of a challenge and then face the ones who are. Plus Wanda knows she doesn’t have to expand unnecessary energy when she can rely on others. With reality warpers being villains that’s on Marvel and the stories they want to tell and can always change. Like when dealing with DreamQueen she took control of the dreamscape and imprisoned her in it. That showed both an incredible feat which was lead by character development that we saw that Wanda isn’t held back by past mistakes and is showing new ideas.
    Last edited by Covetous_One; 08-21-2023 at 09:06 AM.
    “There is no defense against the Scarlet Witch's HEX!

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post

I would probably have been more excited and gotten this before MOM came out, but now it's an easy pass for me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    I would probably have been more excited and gotten this before MOM came out, but now it's an easy pass for me.
    I get that, but I’m going to get it because I don’t want to have to subscribe to Disney+ to watch it again, and on its own it’s easier to pretend MoM didn’t happen.

It’s a bit like how I own Busiek and Johns Avengers and just ignore what wrapped up that era of Avengers, namely Avengers Disassembled.

Quote Originally Posted by Covetous_One View Post
    I agree on Wanda’s character development, but feats and character don’t have to be mutually exclusive. As a character through contemplation and discovery can understand how they get to certain points and express why they did what they did. Letting the character development lead the feat is something that does occur in comic books. When it comes to team books you have them face different levels of combatants with different characters so everyone has opportunities to shine. Like right know Wanda’s taking on an army of undead and battling the commander, yeah she may not be doing high level of reality warping, but she is someone who shows she doesn’t need to go overboard. You have foot soldiers or grunts then you have those who are in command and the rulers or masterminds. You just don’t wipe the floor with everyone the character faces, but just the ones that aren’t as much of a challenge and then face the ones who are. Plus Wanda knows she doesn’t have to expand unnecessary energy when she can rely on others. With reality warpers being villains that’s on Marvel and the stories they want to tell and can always change. Like when dealing with DreamQueen she took control of the dreamscape and imprisoned her in it. That showed both an incredible feat which was lead by character development that we saw that Wanda isn’t held back by past mistakes and is showing new ideas.
    It is sadly because of how comics are handled. Big power means out of control almost every time. Unless there are safe guards. It's not just Marvel reality warpers that are mostly villains. Look at DC who has more reality warpers than Marvel.

Her feats in her comics are examples of her power being limited. Same with the Avengers. But that's not a bad thing. That's what I'm saying. She doesn't need to be uber, changing the universe on some multiversal scale. It actually makes her more unique that she has complicated spells and taps into powers to make what she does happen.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    I feel the same way. It ruined the show for me. I just cannot go back to watch it because of knowing what they did with her later.