Page 8 of 211 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Idk about anyone else, but I’ve read my issue at least 4 times today.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Spectacular Member

Happy new year to everyone!!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    It did take away something unique from Wanda. It didn't have to be familial at all with her getting her powers from Chthon.
    I see one fan on Twitter praises it because of Roma representation, it was from @c0micmagic i think

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    So Apex Legends just released the trailer for the newest limited time event and Horizon is getting skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFrrZ3j8hw4

The thing is this is what it looks like

Yo, what? There certainly has been some heavy inspiration going on when it comes to this one.
    too much going on, didn't like it

Quote Originally Posted by froggyisnewtocomics View Post
    I see one fan on Twitter praises it because of Roma representation, it was from @c0micmagic i think
    That's because Natalya is Roma. But she did also take away Wanda's title as unique from Wanda. Separate subjects.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member

Twitter's understanding of good representation is literally said ethnic exists, existing good.

Spectacular Member

that user is also Romani, i forgot to add

Quote Originally Posted by froggyisnewtocomics View Post
    that user is also Romani, i forgot to add
    So am I. But the subject wasn't about Natalya being Roma. The subject is about Wanda's hero name being original and then having that removed from her. That doesn't have anything to do with Natalya being Roma. Scarlet Witch is a name created for comics. It doesn't have anything to do with her ethnicity.

Extraordinary Member

Wanda already has like 3 Roma connections before that, Natalya really didn't add that much aside from being magical herself.(Her being an active character is an upgrade from her often fridged mothers of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Wanda already has like 3 Roma connections before that, Natalya really didn't add that much aside from being magical herself.(Her being an active character is an upgrade from her often fridged mothers of course.)
    I'm all for more Romani characters, but it's just weird that is what is pulled from that discussion. Because it wasn't even about that. Natalya being Roma doesn't obsolve it of the issue at hand. Which really was very few female characters have an identity of their own. A lot of them are named after other existing characters before them. Wanda has had that unique identity but it was removed. And that's if Natalya sticks around. Because Marvel has this thing with changing moms for Wanda and Pietro a lot.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 01-05-2023 at 03:09 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Wanda is still unique with her condition of birth and thus her powerset.
    Honestly it would be better if Natalya and her line of family are just more standard/regular mages/witches without Wanda's moniker, if they really feel like giving Wanda a magic bloodline.

Honestly it would be better if Natalya and her line of family are just more standard/regular mages/witches without Wanda's moniker, if they really feel like giving Wanda a magic bloodline.
    Or they could have stuck with Chthon as the magic influence and Agatha having taught her everything else. It's really weird that they felt like that needed tacked on. It's like they thought well we saw that some Roma like to practice magic and divination, so now let's tack it on to an entire family biologically. Which is really a stereotype.

Also she didn't know that it was a Legacy title, same with Steve Rogers. It doesn't take away from who they are and what they have done with the mantle to make it their own.

I will throw in my hat too in this discussion. Yeah Im not a fan of the whole mantle thing.
    It's an unfair comparison since the MCU didn't have 60 years of continuity to deal with but look how they handled it there. Scarlet Witch isn't just some random name someone came up with. It has significant ethos and relevance attached to it but it is still 100% Wandas. Nobody else has any claim to it no matter how awesome they are. They can never be the Scarlet Witch.

The thing is Scarlet Witch being a legacy title is currently only obscure comic knowledge. Most people are not even aware of it if we are honest and it has not been a thing in any other media nor will that probably ever happen.
    So this is a case where you could obviously retcon it but you could also never bring it up again and it would be fine too.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Spectacular Member

Twitter's understanding of good representation is literally said ethnic exists, existing good.
    speaking of which, something about comic Wanda Twitter feels hypocritical, the way they view comic Wanda vs MCU Wanda stans just feels so binary that they glossed over gross **** like vibrator jokes, even came from the people that know about the whitewashing, also some stans just condone the "classic 60s Wanda costume represent her culture" by non-fans who never once did research about the culture
    Last edited by froggyisnewtocomics; 01-05-2023 at 06:13 AM.