Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Latest acquisition

IMG_8203.jpg
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I have most of the volumes of the John Byrne Fantastic Four Visionaries. I wish Marvel would do more of this again, where you take a writer's work on a specific title and give it a collected version. I also have a couple of Walt Simonson FF Visionaires.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-26-2023 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I have most of the volumes of the John Byrne Fantastic Four Visionaries. I wish Marvel would do more of this again, where you take a writer's work on a specific title and give it a collected version. I also have a couple of Walt Simonson FF Visionaires.

Nice collection. The volumes are cheap in my country, but there are no signs of volume 2, so I'm actually debating if I get volume 1 or if I get a spanish volume that has the same material than the first 2 books and I get the rest of the run in visionaries, since I already own volumes 3 and 4
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I am missing volume 6 of the Byrne collection and have had no luck finding it. Sometimes I can find them in a bookstore but I think this one will be most likely be available on the secondary market i.e. eBay. since it came out a while back.

I also have a collection of the hardcover Masterworks

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 05-26-2023 at 11:31 AM.

Astonishing Member

I'm actually reading the Bryne run for the very first time, almost done with the first omnibus, ordering the 2nd one, I was reluctant due to money and space but gave in even if Bryne has been a huge jerk to fans and other comic pros and said some problematic things.

You are correct about Byrne being a jerk at times. But his Fantastic Four run is not to be missed. I don't have it in this picture but I do have Jonathan Hickman Fantastic Four vol. 2 omnibus and have been on the lookout for vol. 1. For some reason I didn't realize there was a volume one until I saw volume 2.

Byrne is an awesome writer but his website can be trying if you rub him the wrong way in a comment. Still I totally recommend his X-men fiction where he picks up where he left off with X-men 143.

I’m an Epic guy more than an Omnibus guy (though I am preordering Micronauts and ROM!), but it feels like they’re purposefully dancing around Byrne’s FF Epics… We’re getting to the point where they’re going to HAVE to start doing them as they’re running out of non-Byrne material…

Added a couple more Visionaries to my collection

IMG_8233.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jsg2295 View Post
    Byrne is an awesome writer but his website can be trying if you rub him the wrong way in a comment. Still I totally recommend his X-men fiction where he picks up where he left off with X-men 143.
    He wrote and drew masses of really good comics.

And arguably his internet persona is useful: it reminds us (by contrast) how pleasant and constructive most comics and professionals are great majority of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    I'm actually reading the Bryne run for the very first time, almost done with the first omnibus, ordering the 2nd one, I was reluctant due to money and space but gave in even if Bryne has been a huge jerk to fans and other comic pros and said some problematic things.
    Yeah Byrne is definitely a jerk currently but a lot of his work remain must reads. His run on FF is one of those must reads. I can't stand the guy personally or his work beyond his 2nd She-Hulk run. By the time of Next Men and his run on Wonder Woman he had seriously jumped the shark for me. His Fantastic Four run was so damn good though. So many of my favorite FF moments are from his run. I finally have all of the first volume digitally and plan a re-read very soon.

I agree most comments on John, and his FF work is a must read.

Ironically as a young guy back then, my very first fan letter was printed in this issue, which is the first issue JB drew.
    It was some sort of fill in, in between others and his permanant run, or... I forget, being pretty old now.
    But I remember buying 5 issues of the comic, since, my first letter.ffwrite.jpg
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Actually I'm wrong, that is not JB's first art on the FF, that is from earlier around 209 maybe?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Actually I'm wrong, that is not JB's first art on the FF, that is from earlier around 209 maybe?
    He and Perez bounced back and forth on both the Avengers and the FF in the late 70's. So yeah around 209 or a few issues before that. I didn't even notice it was him as a kid because of Sinnot's inks. His FF work looked pretty different than his Avengers and Marvel Team-Up stuff from the same era. It's amazing just how many books the two of them were doing every month back then.
    Last edited by M@Bowers2014; 06-02-2023 at 12:59 PM.