Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 LastLast
    Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Isn't Valeria also a T-Rex, unlike Franklin who's a Triceratops? Are they trying to imply that Val is Doom's kid and not Reed's?
    Dino-Reed is a T-Rex too. Pretty sure the kids are just following the trope of children taking after the opposite gender parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow View Post
    There have been dozens at least. Reed being the everythingist is convincing if he is truly the most intelligent being on Earth.

I'm aware it was introduced in vol 4. Perhaps the reason it was left nebulous then is precisely that there would not have been a doctorate field that the group had not already been challenged with where she provided no expert input. Hence, the whole thing is shoe horned in.

If this needed to be done, better character development would have been: her self discovery of wanting to go back and finish her education plan that she, perhaps, abandoned for modeling or full time FF adventuring. Let's watch HER go back to school instead of Johnny for the 3rd or 4th time. Speaking of Johnny: here issue 50 was wrapping up one of the most important comic sagas ever written, and what makes a blurb on the iconic cover? Johnny going to college...

Sue being awarded her Doctorate could have been treated as a major event that we all were along for the ride to see. This was handled poorly to me because either involved writer probably never thought they'd be around long enough to smoothly inlay it. So it just got dumped like a giant glob.
    This is a valid criticism of the development. Scenes of Sue dealing with classwork, and someone subbing for her would have been a nice sub-arc. Her pushing Reed away when he's "trying to help" even though he isn't a world class intellect in the field and Sue realizes that would be fun to read. I love she has the degree, but it not being earned in story is easily the weakest part of this.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha to Omega View Post
    Dino-Reed is a T-Rex too. Pretty sure the kids are just following the trope of children taking after the opposite gender parents.
    Reed, Vic, and Val all being T-Rexes may be North making a statement about the three characters' interests and intellects.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This is a valid criticism of the development. Scenes of Sue dealing with classwork, and someone subbing for her would have been a nice sub-arc. Her pushing Reed away when he's "trying to help" even though he isn't a world class intellect in the field and Sue realizes that would be fun to read. I love she has the degree, but it not being earned in story is easily the weakest part of this.
    I'd love to see Sue going to college .

I'm not sure if it should come back. We're talking about a story which occurred some 15-20 years in the characters' past. Reed's arrogance (your term, but I can't argue against it that much) has been seen and is currently part of his character. Reed's being more theoretical than applied is a quality that has changed over the years. He's had to actually do and make $#!+ over the last 700 issues. As for Ben getting hit the worst, Reed's guilt and Ben's anger have really worn themselves out from a story angle. I'm sure they still exist, but after all those story years, they must have been buried enough to allow the team to continue to function.
    As recently as the tail end of Slott’s run
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'd love to see Sue going to college .
    Spring Break Sue. Woo hooo!!!

I just thought if this. I think it would be interesting if the doctorate Sue earned was in psychology or psychiatry. It’s a field where it’s less obvious as to why she didn’t do anything specific in old stories which would have used her expertise. It also could explain how she handles personalities as different as Reed and Johnny to help keep both of them from drifting too far off course from being stable useful people to society. And there are lots of ways that expertise can be used to manipulate villains moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    I just thought if this. I think it would be interesting if the doctorate Sue earned was in psychology or psychiatry. It’s a field where it’s less obvious as to why she didn’t do anything specific in old stories which would have used her expertise. It also could explain how she handles personalities as different as Reed and Johnny to help keep both of them from drifting too far off course from being stable useful people to society. And there are lots of ways that expertise can be used to manipulate villains moving forward.
    Well it seems to be decided that her doctorate is in archaelology. But she could have had a minor in those fields, or other emphasis in her overall education career. I don't know much about this, but perhaps a masters or other degree in the psych sciences is a good background for the doctorate.
    Being competent with other cultures and how they think, thought.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Well it seems to be decided that her doctorate is in archaelology. But she could have had a minor in those fields, or other emphasis in her overall education career. I don't know much about this, but perhaps a masters or other degree in the psych sciences is a good background for the doctorate.
    Being competent with other cultures and how they think, thought.
    Oh I’m not asking for a doctorate in psychology now. I just think that it’s a direction they could have gone in in retrospect. Truth be told I never really gave any thought to what her phD was until reading this issue. The Marine Biologist line was spectacular.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Oh I’m not asking for a doctorate in psychology now. I just think that it’s a direction they could have gone in in retrospect. Truth be told I never really gave any thought to what her phD was until reading this issue. The Marine Biologist line was spectacular.
    Only a true scientist has the chops needed to be a Marine Biologist

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As long as she's still the emotional core of the team, I think it'll work out.
    Yes. Some of us are roughing up on Sue, but as someone who has been here since the late '60s, well around v.1 mid #60s.

The Coming of Ronan? #64 was the first FF I ever bought. I may have read bits here and there before (Strangle Tales, mostly)

But even as a 12 year old, I fell right into Sue's worth. She was indeed the emotional core, and the character I related to a lot

except for Alicia, who is kidnapped by the Enclave in that issue!

Even without a doctorate, her empathy was her calling card.

When I was able to read the older issues I missed, I was struck by her care/concern for the much earlier Dragon Man.

Years later when they encountered FrostFire and the Ebon Seeker (when of my earlier favorites and so worthy of a sequel to me)

Sue was really the one that got it, what the thing was about the unearthly duo.

Many times, Sue is the heart of the FF and their stories. She often acts/acted very selflessly.

I get that in the course of many stories she is there for her powers -

but I like that too. I've always appreciated how her powers have been utilized, and evolved.

Does anyone here remember on the letter pages years ago

W.T.S.S club (of sorts). We Think Sue's Super.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Only a true scientist has the chops needed to be a Marine Biologist

Thank you for this! I almost posted it myself.

BANNED

Buckled down and bought the Thing series from the 80s because I wanted something new FF related to read while waiting for the day I can afford the last 5 FF issues I need.

I've got to say...I mostly disliked it entirely. The Rocky Grimm phase was ok. The rest was barely readable to me. Especially the wrestling phase at the end.

Curious if anyone else saw it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow View Post
    Buckled down and bought the Thing series from the 80s because I wanted something new FF related to read while waiting for the day I can afford the last 5 FF issues I need.

I've got to say...I mostly disliked it entirely. The Rocky Grimm phase was ok. The rest was barely readable to me. Especially the wrestling phase at the end.

Curious if anyone else saw it differently.
    That Thing series wasn't particularly great IMO. The series was basically an extension of Two-In-One minus the co-stars. I can't even think of anything noteworthy in those first few issues. Rocky Grimm Space Ranger was a result of Secret Wars. There was some psychological content about Ben's ability to turn his Thing form off and on as the other FF members had, but that was wiped out, swept under the carpet and never referenced again. The wrestling phase was Mark Gruenwald. I think it might have been better if a writer more recognized for humor like a Giffen or a Kyle Baker handled it, but it was what it was. Hindsight being 20/20, that never seemed like a long term status.

That Thing series wasn't particularly great IMO. The series was basically an extension of Two-In-One minus the co-stars. I can't even think of anything noteworthy in those first few issues. Rocky Grimm Space Ranger was a result of Secret Wars. There was some psychological content about Ben's ability to turn his Thing form off and on as the other FF members had, but that was wiped out, swept under the carpet and never referenced again. The wrestling phase was Mark Gruenwald. I think it might have been better if a writer more recognized for humor like a Giffen or a Kyle Baker handled it, but it was what it was. Hindsight being 20/20, that never seemed like a long term status.
    ^^^I remember being hyped when Ben got his solo.

But yeah, they should have just kept it as a team up book. Ben was so charming in that format.