Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What are the most memorable Spider-Man moments?

CSBG is doing a list of the Top 75 Marvel moments, as decided by CBR readers.

But I don't think we've had a discussion on the new forums about your favorite Spider-Man moments. What scenes from the Spider-Man comics would you like to see in that Top 75 and why?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Peter's first meeting with Mary Jane Watson, because that to this very day remains one bombshell of a way to introduce a love interest.

The moment in Amazing Fantasy #15 where Peter Parker has his epiphany that great power must come with great responsibility, because that set the stage for everything that followed in Spider-Man.

The moment in Amazing Spider-Man #33 where he, with more strain and effort than he'd ever exerted at that point, lifted a great weight off him in order to get the formula that could save his Aunt May's life.

Gwen Stacy's death, because as horribly cliché as it is now to see a female love interest die tragically and violently to motivate a male hero to seek revenge, the actual death of a love interest was something utterly unexpected in comics at that time.

Peter finding out Harry Osborn had been heavily abusing drugs, because that was the first big strike against the Comics Code Authority for trying to circumvent a story warning about the dangers of drug abuse just because it featured drugs at all.

Spider-Man getting the black suit in Secret Wars #8, because that was the beginning of what would likely be the most popular (or at least most strikingly iconic) villain Spider-Man's ever had.

Spider-Man casting off the symbiote in Web of Spider-Man #1, even at great risk to his own life . . . and shock of all shocks, the symbiote seemingly dying to protect him in spite of his rejection of it. A bittersweet moment that demonstrates the kind of impact Spider-Man can make on someone, even if that someone is an alien symbiote.

Mary Jane admitting to Peter that she's known all along about him being Spider-Man. Usually, the love interest has to be told or shown by the hero that her boyfriend and the hero who keeps saving her are one and the same. In this, the love interest actually figured it out long before the hero was ever ready or willing to tell her and just couldn't contain herself anymore after realizing he was going out yet again to possibly get himself killed going up against the forces of evil.

Mary Jane resolving her family issues, with Peter by her side to provide emotional support, and then finally accepting his proposal, having become a stronger, emotionally healthier person after overcoming an all-too-real challenge for many people in the world --- families that are less than nurturing, and sometimes downright toxic and destructive.

Peter and Mary Jane's wedding --- for being one of the few superhero weddings that wasn't broken up by a super-villain at some point. Also, as a nice way of saying "f*** you, Marvel, we're not forgetting this just because you don't want it to have happened. It happened. Deal."

Cosmic Spider-Man thrashing the Hulk, because that was just too awesome for words.

Ben Reilly discovering his will to live in the flashback issues between the original Clone Saga and his return in the second Clone Saga, because clone or not, all life is worth something.

Also, Spider-Man: Redemption, the moment Kaine saves Ben's life and finally starts to move past his self-hatred and resentment of Ben for being the "perfect" clone or the "original" Spider-Man and thus the source of his misery.

Spider-Man joins the Avengers in the first New Avengers volume, because that was just awesome, even if he was criminally underused after a point.

Spider-Man thrashes Fire-Lord despite Fire-Lord being a vastly more powerful being than him, just out of sheer determination and willpower to delay Fire-Lord from hurting innocent people.

Spider-Man takes on Iron Man once he realizes he's been on the wrong side in Civil War. You'd think Iron Man would have Spider-Man completely outgunned, but Spider-Man manages to turn the tables rather nicely despite the odds against him.

Spider-Island. In a city full of spider-powered New Yorkers, Peter Parker realizes that it was never the spider-powers that made him special, it was who he was that made him special. Oh, and Spider-Mary Jane, too.

Avengers Vs. X-Men #9. Spider-Man versus Phoenix-powered Colossus and Magik. The odds are very much not in his favor, and yet his trademark determination and willpower see him through, even to the point of managing to manipulate Colossus and Magik into turning against each other and thus still defeating them, in a manner of speaking.

Superior Spider-Man #30. Peter Parker remembers who he is. Just beautiful. Absolutely beautiful, and using all the Spider-Man covers over the decades to fill in the web gaps was a stroke of genius. Also, from the same issue, Peter forcing Otto to act to protect an innocent life instead of hesitating to weigh his options in hopes of finding one where he can achieve his desired ends, and showing him what a real hero is.

Yeah, those are my particular favorites.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Him getting bit by the spider in AF #15.

Giving up the costume in ASM #50 (the famous Romita panel).

Spider-Wedding scene.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Peter's first meeting with Mary Jane Watson, because that to this very day remains one bombshell of a way to introduce a love interest.

The moment in Amazing Fantasy #15 where Peter Parker has his epiphany that great power must come with great responsibility, because that set the stage for everything that followed in Spider-Man.

The moment in Amazing Spider-Man #33 where he, with more strain and effort than he'd ever exerted at that point, lifted a great weight off him in order to get the formula that could save his Aunt May's life.

Gwen Stacy's death, because as horribly cliché as it is now to see a female love interest die tragically and violently to motivate a male hero to seek revenge, the actual death of a love interest was something utterly unexpected in comics at that time.

Peter finding out Harry Osborn had been heavily abusing drugs, because that was the first big strike against the Comics Code Authority for trying to circumvent a story warning about the dangers of drug abuse just because it featured drugs at all.

Spider-Man getting the black suit in Secret Wars #8, because that was the beginning of what would likely be the most popular (or at least most strikingly iconic) villain Spider-Man's ever had.

Spider-Man casting off the symbiote in Web of Spider-Man #1, even at great risk to his own life . . . and shock of all shocks, the symbiote seemingly dying to protect him in spite of his rejection of it. A bittersweet moment that demonstrates the kind of impact Spider-Man can make on someone, even if that someone is an alien symbiote.

Mary Jane admitting to Peter that she's known all along about him being Spider-Man. Usually, the love interest has to be told or shown by the hero that her boyfriend and the hero who keeps saving her are one and the same. In this, the love interest actually figured it out long before the hero was ever ready or willing to tell her and just couldn't contain herself anymore after realizing he was going out yet again to possibly get himself killed going up against the forces of evil.

Mary Jane resolving her family issues, with Peter by her side to provide emotional support, and then finally accepting his proposal, having become a stronger, emotionally healthier person after overcoming an all-too-real challenge for many people in the world --- families that are less than nurturing, and sometimes downright toxic and destructive.

Peter and Mary Jane's wedding --- for being one of the few superhero weddings that wasn't broken up by a super-villain at some point. Also, as a nice way of saying "f*** you, Marvel, we're not forgetting this just because you don't want it to have happened. It happened. Deal."

Cosmic Spider-Man thrashing the Hulk, because that was just too awesome for words.

Spider-Man thrashes Fire-Lord despite Fire-Lord being a vastly more powerful being than him, just out of sheer determination and willpower to delay Fire-Lord from hurting innocent people.

Spider-Man takes on Iron Man once he realizes he's been on the wrong side in Civil War. You'd think Iron Man would have Spider-Man completely outgunned, but Spider-Man manages to turn the tables rather nicely despite the odds against him.
    These, as well as Spider-man escaping from being webbed-up in the bell and figuring out how to defeat Venom for the first time in ASM #300. That was a great scene.

Default "Here lies Spider-Man"

After all these years, this splash STILL gives me shivers like nothing else can. It's so full of emotion; such a powerful work.

Last edited by weezer17; 09-05-2014 at 04:36 PM.

For me, the big moments are...

- Spider-Man learns who killed Uncle Ben. (Amazing Fantasy #15)
    We take it for granted now, but that was a gutpunch.

- Spider-Man lifts the great weight (Amazing Spider-Man #33)
    One of the most iconic scenes in any comic book.

- The death of Gwen Stacy (Amazing Spider-Man #121)
    Elevated by the snap.

- The death of Norman Osborn (Amazing Spider-Man #122)
    Simply the best death scene of any villain.

- Spider-Man vows to die fighting the Juggernaut (Amazing Spider-Man #229)
    It's a promise many superheroes have made, never so believably.

- "He only has a few weeks left to live." (Amazing Spider-Man #248)
    The conversation makes sense.

- Ultimate Peter tells MJ that he's Spider-Man (Ultimate Spider-Man #13)
    Takes that series in a different direction. And the execution's so great.

- Peter admits to May that he's Spider-Man (Amazing Spider-Man Volume 2 #38)
    He tries to lie, and he's no longer able to do that.

I doubt I'll vote for all eight, since there are some great moments in other Marvel comics, including the best scene in comics, the Kingpin's realization that he failed to kill Daredevil in Born Again. "There is no corpse."
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Every time Spidey webs JJJ's ugly face, i get orgasms of satisfaction!

Quote Originally Posted by weezer17 View Post
    After all these years, this splash STILL gives me shivers like nothing else can. It's so full of emotion; such a powerful work.

That is pretty cool. My main issue is that it's a variation of something we've seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Every time Spidey webs JJJ's ugly face, i get orgasms of satisfaction!
    I feel bad for not having a Spidey/ Jonah moment.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

This is going to sound incredibly cynical and negative, but most of the moments that I think are memorable now just annoy me. Why? Because every time I see them, I am reminded of the countless stupid attempts at referencing them. Sigh...

When he took Morlun down with a single punch at that nuclear plant is surely up there.

Extraordinary Member

I actually voted in this poll. The moments I included were:

- Death of Gwen Stacy (obviously)
    - Peter meets Mary Jane
    - Peter reveals his secret identity in Civil War

I would have included the following if it was more specific to Spider-Man:

- Death of Uncle Ben: Would have made it onto the list, but was beat out by Gwen's death. I just feel like Gwen's death is more of a "thing." I actually don't remember if Uncle Ben's death was portrayed in AF #15. I think I just remember the cops coming to Peter's house to tell him the news.
    - Norman Osborn is revealed as Green Goblin
    - Peter Parker marries Mary Jane Watson
    - Kraven the Hunter kills himself at the end of Kraven's Last Hunt
    - Death of George Stacy
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-07-2014 at 10:32 PM.

1. Spider-Man's Origin. (Amazing Fantasy 15) Without it there'd be no Spider-Man.

2. The Spider-Marriage. (Amazing Spider-Man Annual 21.) I feel the marriage was a karmic reward for all the good things Peter had done and deserves to be remembered. I liked that even after all the crap he goes through he could come home too someone that understands.

3.Aunt May learning Peter is Spider-Man. (Amazing Spider-Man 478) This added a much needed new dynamic on their relationship.

4. Peter meeting Mary Jane. The scene is iconic for reason especially since most adaptations try too match it.

5. Kaine being cured. It led too the awesome Scarlet Spider series by Yost.

6. The first Appearance of the Black suit. It lead too my favorite Spidey villain. Venom.

7. The first appearance of Venom.

8.The Death of Gwen Stacy.

9.Spider-Man unmasking. That was one of the most shocking things about Civil War and I kind of wish they did more with it.

10. Spider-Man joining the Avengers.
    Last edited by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE; 09-08-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Astonishing Member

Spectacular Member

When spider bit Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    - Peter reveals his secret identity in Civil War
    Dang I forgot that one!