Page 11 of 223 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/last...chapter-three/

This ! This would be a interesting initiative. Apart Bendis, the rest of writers were really interesting

Astonishing Member

It would be interesting if it wasn't for Bendis leading the whole thing, and if 5G didn't look so ugly.
    The more I learn about their plans, the more I understand that DC was literally saved from this madness.

Looks like Shawn Martinbrough has finished writing his Red Hood mini (remember that?)

https://twitter.com/smartinbrough/st...-GbFgqqpg&s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post

This ! This would be a interesting initiative. Apart Bendis, the rest of writers were really interesting
    So much of this sounds OOC.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dioman-san View Post

The problem is Bendis was clearly Dan's lead and point man for this madness. His contract was extremely expensive from all accounts. And he had access to Dan whose reason for even wanting Bendis was because he wanted to have another failed attempt at doing Ultimate Marvel like All-Star/Earth-One/New 52/Earth-2/etc. And you are forgetting, the main person behind 5G is still Didio. It would have been a bigger debacle than All-Star/Earth-One/New 52/Earth-2.

It would literally be "crashing the plan with no survivors".
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-12-2023 at 03:27 PM.

Incredible Member

I think much like the New 52 at the start it would sell well then crash down to what we’ve seen as normal levels. There might be one character much like New 52 that stands out, basically the Grant Morrison Superman, that people like and then back to normal

They had plans for 5 years where it would all culminate in a big event about Jon’s gen and Clark’s gen fighting. Whether that would have led to another reboot or not I can’t say but Johns basically said 5G would be a five year thing in Doomsday Clock, and I assume that reflected the way everyone felt about the attempt’s longevity.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

5 years of 5G? If so, I can see why DiDio got the corporate masters' attention with that plan and they sacked him.

I can understand leveraging your brand names, but it seems to me that for the most part, people want to read about Clark Kent when they want to read about Superman, Diana when they want to read about Wonder Woman, and so on.

That doesn't mean diversity should be left behind in favor of familiar stuff, but you can crack that nut without taking spotlight away from characters that are already popular, especially all at once. The media seems to be struggling with that whole thing, often presenting it as an "either-or" scenario, which is wrongheaded. A lot of that stems from them being too lazy, uncreative, cheap, impatient, and/or untalented to build quality, independent, diverse characters, and you see a lot of that at DC and Marvel.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    Looks like Shawn Martinbrough has finished writing his Red Hood mini (remember that?)

https://twitter.com/smartinbrough/st...-GbFgqqpg&s=19
    I'm really curious what the heck is going on with this. He's been teasing it for like a year now?

And do we think it's going to be in-continuity, or out of continuity? I've assumed it's meant to be a follow-up to his two issue arc at the end of Red Hood: Outlaw. But yet, since then, Jason has been part of Task Force X and now a main character in The Joker: The Man Who Stopped Laughing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    I think much like the New 52 at the start it would sell well then crash down to what we’ve seen as normal levels. There might be one character much like New 52 that stands out, basically the Grant Morrison Superman, that people like and then back to normal
    The problem as stated is it was going to be 5 years long and probably would have erased stuff done pre-5G by previous writers like Snyder even after 5G gets reverted. It's no wonder he tried to stop it and then quit afterwards.

DC's current state where the ship is rudderless without a lead writer is totally because of this.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-12-2023 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    I'm really curious what the heck is going on with this. He's been teasing it for like a year now?

And do we think it's going to be in-continuity, or out of continuity? I've assumed it's meant to be a follow-up to his two issue arc at the end of Red Hood: Outlaw. But yet, since then, Jason has been part of Task Force X and now a main character in The Joker: The Man Who Stopped Laughing.
    It's not like DC cares much about what happens to the Red Hood, in the end his role is always the same, to be kicked out by Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    DC's current state where the ship is rudderless without a lead writer is totally because of this.
    So it is Didio's fault that after he got fired, two years later, DC still has no idea what it is doing?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    So it is Didio's fault that after he got fired, two years later, DC still has no idea what it is doing?
    I think people are focusing more on who steered the ship towards the iceberg in the first place . . .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post

Given that many of the experienced staff that left/forced out in 2019 (Alex Antone, Molly Mahan , Pat McCallum, Harvey Richards, Rebecca Taylor, Rob Levin) and the ensuring layoffs in 2020 and alienating guys like Snyder for Bendis & co, Dan absolutely helped bury DC before he got himself fired. You can sing the Dan-did-nothing-wrong-song all you want, but DC having to pivot from 5G (without their experienced staff/writers) while still having to use the leftover material to recuperate costs speaks to how much he staked on 5G and before it went down in flames. You can pretty much draw a line from the disaster of 5G to the current state where Williamson is the lead writer and Dark Crisis.

edit: Frankly you can't steer a ship all that well when there's a giant hole from the captain ramming the ship into an iceberg and most of the crew having jumped ship or were tossed overbord.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-13-2023 at 09:20 AM.

They seem to be headed towards icebergs with or without DiDio there. Stating that DC should be held accountable for their poor decision making doesn't mean you're absolving DiDio of any share of the blame.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-13-2023 at 09:15 AM.