Page 28 of 223 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878128 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    King was kicked off Batman by Bob Harras, who is no longer working at DC.
    King denies it in a recent interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ-DF-aMCJQ @ ~1:25:00

He basically said he left voluntarily because he didn't want to set up 5G stuff for Didio since Dan was going to kill off Catwoman anyways for 5G and instead opted to do the rest of it as Batman/Catwoman (it was one of the options Didio gave him). I mean it makes sense given how totally obsessed that Didio was with 5G and how laying the ground enveloped everything at DC.

Again I think our only source for him being fired by Harras was Rich and he has gotten stuff wrong before.

It's funny you say that he has no support from the higher-ups considering he is the only the comics writer involved in plotting the DCU.
    I am talking about the people in the editorial staff. His biggest supporters were people affiliated with the later Scott Snyder era in the Batoffice: people like Mark Doyle (fired), Chris Conroy who seems to be head editor of Black Label now, Jaime Rich (gone) and probably also Brittany Holzherr (who did the Supergirl book with him).
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 02-02-2023 at 08:15 PM.

But King got Doyle removed from Batman..?

Anyway, big character is obviously Harley.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Doyle was his editor on Grayson and if you listen to the interview likely was the one of the people that imo was probably pushed for him to get Detective, which was then upgraded to Batman once Snyder left due to the double shipping thing.

Spectacular Member Earth-2 Refugee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I reckon Wonder Woman and Aquaman will be by their respective writers in Lazarus Planet. Flash won't be changing writer, I believe (if it was, his logo would be on the timeline teaser). Hawkman does make sense for King as with the exception of Batman most of King's books only run for a year, and Hawkman isn't someone who regularly has an ongoing book.
    Harley Quinn and Action Comics are also Dawn of DC titles that were not on the timeline, and Harley Quinn even had a writer change without being on the timeline. I don't think Tom King will be on Flash though, but I can't think of many characters left for King to tackle. It'll probably be someone out of left field. It's clear that only the #1 issues are showing up on the timeline. The leading option is probably Hawkman, but I prefer King on someone else (not sure who though).

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    Don’t be putting that evil of King on Hawkman or Wally. Those characters are perfectly fine the way they are. We don’t need somebody being revealed to be a war criminal or something
    As opposed to the last Hawkman book which turned him into a genocidal minion for a death cult that went rogue. Amazing Hawkman run, but it's not going to be new ground to make Hawkman a war criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post

Anyway, big character is obviously Harley.
    Harley just got a new creative team for March, I don't think they'll change it that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Doyle was his editor on Grayson and if you listen to the interview likely was the one of the people that imo was probably pushed for him to get Detective, which was then upgraded to Batman once Snyder left due to the double shipping thing.
    This has nothing to do with King later rrmoving Doyle from Batman

Personally I don't care if King has had some successful critically acclaimed Black Label books or what, I don't think he's a good fit for writing more stories in the mainstream continuity or getting access to any major characters.

I'm still burned out from how he's treated a lot of characters I love.

King said Ben Abernathy recruited him for Human Target in the most recent WB podcast, and Brittany Holzher is another editor he’s worked closely with who he’s mentioned as being indebted too. Abernathy is the editor right below Javins I think? So King has plenty of support from the higher ups even within DC Comics.

Oh and here’s something nice, for the first time since I’ve been checking out this list, the top 10 DC books on Amazon aren’t all Batman. All-Star Superman, Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow, and Swamp Thing are there too.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Either way you don't get dozens of Black Label issues to write on your own terms when you have no support.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    King denies it in a recent interview here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ-DF-aMCJQ @ ~1:25:00

He basically said he left voluntarily because he didn't want to set up 5G stuff for Didio since Dan was going to kill off Catwoman anyways for 5G and instead opted to do the rest of it as Batman/Catwoman (it was one of the options Didio gave him). I mean it makes sense given how totally obsessed that Didio was with 5G and how laying the ground enveloped everything at DC.

Again I think our only source for him being fired by Harras was Rich and he has gotten stuff wrong before.

I am talking about the people in the editorial staff. His biggest supporters were people affiliated with the later Scott Snyder era in the Batoffice: people like Mark Doyle (fired), Chris Conroy who seems to be head editor of Black Label now, Jaime Rich (gone) and probably also Brittany Holzherr (who did the Supergirl book with him).
    Fine, I was wrong about that (although Rich was the first one to report King was leaving Batman, so he definitely had some inside info back then). Even then, where are you getting the idea the editors dislike him? If he left voluntarily because he didn't want to set-up 5G that means he wasn't fired.

Not to mention not many editors from 2019 are still working at DC nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-2 Refugee View Post
    Harley Quinn and Action Comics are also Dawn of DC titles that were not on the timeline.
    Didn't relaunch with a new number 1 and Superman's S logo would've been there twice if they included Action as well as Superman.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Tom King has an unannounced Dawn of DC book coming besides BATB and Penguin. DC wanted him to do a “big” character again after the last couple years where he’s mostly done smaller characters off to the side + Batman. (Skip to 53:00)

Damn who could this be? Would the Hawks qualify as a bigger book? Could they have given him WW or Aquaman? All hell would break loose if he’s writing JL, but I would definitely be there for it.
    Just saw this, interesting. I am glad to see King finally tackling a A list character besides Batman, but I wonder who it could be..

I don't think he'd be a good fit for Wonder Woman.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Personally I don't care if King has had some successful critically acclaimed Black Label books or what, I don't think he's a good fit for writing more stories in the mainstream continuity or getting access to any major characters.

I'm still burned out from how he's treated a lot of characters I love.
    Agree, King is a one trick pony only capable of writing trauma and derailing characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think he'd be a good fit for Wonder Woman.
    I think Holzherr has the Wonder Woman book right now so maybe King? I thought Leah Williams might be an option since Holzherr is editing the Power Girl backup and current DC seems to want to give female creators more chances with Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Earth-2 Refugee View Post
    Harley Quinn and Action Comics are also Dawn of DC titles that were not on the timeline, and Harley Quinn even had a writer change without being on the timeline. I don't think Tom King will be on Flash though, but I can't think of many characters left for King to tackle. It'll probably be someone out of left field. It's clear that only the #1 issues are showing up on the timeline. The leading option is probably Hawkman, but I prefer King on someone else (not sure who though).

As opposed to the last Hawkman book which turned him into a genocidal minion for a death cult that went rogue. Amazing Hawkman run, but it's not going to be new ground to make Hawkman a war criminal.

Harley just got a new creative team for March, I don't think they'll change it that soon.
    Well, he was a warlord eons ago. He's been on the path of redemption ever since, so I'd say it would be a bad thing to turn him into a war criminal NOW.