Page 6 of 223 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It will definitely be Waid revamping the old Captain Marvel mythos for the new Shazam, that’s a safe bet.
    Now how much of the "old Captain Marvel mythos" would be based on Ordway's The Power of Shazam! and how much might be from even earlier DC or even Fawcett Comics continuities?

Astonishing Member

Hilarious how suddenly there is nostalgia for PoS when people for some reason hated Ordway's guts on the dcboards/shazam forums when the book was just cancelled. You'd think him and Johns were pissing on CC Beck's grave during that period.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Now how much of the "old Captain Marvel mythos" would be based on Ordway's The Power of Shazam! and how much might be from even earlier DC or even Fawcett Comics continuities?
    How about maybe both ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    How about maybe both ?
    Well, that may be confusing since Ordway introduced having Captain Marvel still having Billy's thoughts/personality.
    The original version of The Big Red Cheese was a bit more distinct from Billy.

Nah, that was Roy Thomas in the 80s with Shazam! A New Beginning.

If people who previously disliked Ordway's work with Power of Shazam are now liking it, perhaps that's because there have since been takes on the property that strayed even further from what some people consider the "classic" version, like Trials of Shazam or Johns' work. Compared to them, Ordway's work looks downright Fawcett-like.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astralabius View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about someone working on something involving Damian in main continuity after Batman vs Robin ends in February?
    Because I haven't heard or seen anything and with Waid saying that Damian will make a huge sacrifice in BvsR #5 I'm worried about what DC has planned for him.
    There was a rumor, that Damian is getting either ongoing or mini series at some point this year, but no idea when exactly. I guess they're waiting for Lazarus Planet to at least kick off, to announce it.
    The thing is, Damian seems to be protagonist of Lazarus Planet, I don't think they would give him so important role, if they didn't have any big plans for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    There was a rumor, that Damian is getting either ongoing or mini series at some point this year, but no idea when exactly. I guess they're waiting for Lazarus Planet to at least kick off, to announce it.
    The thing is, Damian seems to be protagonist of Lazarus Planet, I don't think they would give him so important role, if they didn't have any big plans for him.
    Do you remember where exactly you heard that rumor? I'm just asking because I've seen people speculate about stuff on reddit or other sites and then other people suddenly acting like that's a legit rumor before. And even sites like bleedingcool, who sometimes get stuff right, have also published things that turned out to be baseless in the past.

I think Damian will be the one to come up with the plan to defeat Nezha, and King Fire Bull, the preview already showed them going in that direction. Waid also said that the issue is split between three different locations though and that he wants to give some B-listers some spotlight. Plus Damian can't do much against demons on his own. He has no special powers.

Depending on what kind of huge sacrifice Damian will be making in Batman vs Robin #5 he might just have that big role to build up to that sacrifice.
    Damian is the one who freed Nezha (because of lazy writing) so he probably has to pay big time just to fix what he broke.
    I'm not convinced that this will be a glorious moment for the character. It will be him attempting to right his wrongs.

Extraordinary Member

https://twitter.com/TerryDodsonArt/s...16611293421569

Assuming the DC stuff is more cover work but knows.

Astonishing Member

Is he teasing a Red One sequel?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    Is he teasing a Red One sequel?
    Think so.

Assuming based off the below that Marquis Draper will be the editor on the Cyborg book:

https://twitter.com/Marquis_Draper/s...49783712595970

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Think so.

Assuming based off the below that Marquis Draper will be the editor on the Cyborg book:

https://twitter.com/Marquis_Draper/s...49783712595970

Hopefully he'll do better than the last black editor for Cyborg (New 52 Static) -who lead that book to poor sales and an axing in the middle of a storyline.

Meanwhile..

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/fox-...regnant-joker/

"The latest issue of 'The Joker: The Man Who Stopped Laughing' comic book features a scene where The Joker—a MAN—becomes pregnant. That's NOT how it works! I am calling for a Complete & Total BOYCOTT of The Joker until further notice."

That's right folks, it's time to boycott the Joker. We must all refuse to be part of his maniacal schemes until… what, he gets an abortion? Depends on what state he is, I guess. Fox News also quotes Ethan Van Sciver saying, "DC Comics is getting weirder and weirder, allowing more perverts and fetishists to make grotesque filth out of their classic characters. Fellows, BATMAN is your last sellable comics franchise.
    And folks WONDER why DC does not call him anymore.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Couple of other tidbits from that episode:

• His John Stewart book will be out late summer/early fall
    • Unlike the description given in the Dawn of DC announcement it's less badass military and more 80s action movie
    • As he's mentioned before he's interested in a more nuanced take on John than the one note ex-marine take
    That's great news. I loved John back when he had an actual personality that wasn't just "ooh ra"

I wonder if Waid is going to use his Shazam run to kind of massage the Johns Shazam stuff into more traditional Captain Marvel continuity.
    Reconciling pre-Flashpoint Captain Marvel with current Shazam is no easy task - shouldn't Billy, Mary and Freddy all be several years older (early 20s) if they're the same characters? Also Freddy now has a different hair colour.
    I wonder if he could get away with re-establishing Billy and Mary as biological siblings (although he would have to justify Mary being older unless Billy is also aged up a bit).
    Mary could probably be explained as having been adopted by the Bromsfields (as was the case pre-Crisis), and Billy was then born a couple of years later, and Billy ends up being put into care too and coincidentally both later end up fostered by the Vasquezes. Or say that Mrs Bromsfield had an affair with Billy's Dad, and Mary ran away when she discovered that her father wasn't her biological dad, which would make them half-siblings (same Dad, different Mom). Her running away was how she wound up in foster care in New 52, though I don't think they ever explained why. Mary does refer to the Vasquezes as her parents now so she clearly disowned the Bromsfields.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Reconciling pre-Flashpoint Captain Marvel with current Shazam is no easy task - shouldn't Billy, Mary and Freddy all be several years older (early 20s) if they're the same characters? Also Freddy now has a different hair colour.

Mary could probably be explained as having been adopted by the Bromsfields (as was the case pre-Crisis), and Billy was then born a couple of years later, and Billy ends up being put into care too and coincidentally both later end up fostered by the Vasquezes. Or say that Mrs Bromsfield had an affair with Billy's Dad, and Mary ran away when she discovered that her father wasn't her biological dad, which would make them half-siblings (same Dad, different Mom). Her running away was how she wound up in foster care in New 52, though I don't think they ever explained why. Mary does refer to the Vasquezes as her parents now so she clearly disowned the Bromsfields.
    I mean you aren’t too far off, Mary’s currently in college via the New Champion of Shazam miniseries.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.