Page 39 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

Well, we did have that Fraction story in Defenders, which was going to somehow connect with is Kirby Engine plot, where Namor and the Atlanteans found the same seal hiding the Nerieds, the daughters of Pontus, so maybe Fraction was heading in that direction, before getting distracted with the Inhumans. But I agree. I'd LOVE some mythic stories involving the old sea gods or personifications. I've always thought Neptune was too 'young' of god for the Atlanteans, who are so much older than the Greek gods in the Marvel history.
    I do understand what you're saying, but personally I don't feel Neptune or any of the Greek/Roman Gods are too young, I feel the peoples and traditions that came to worship Poseidon/Neptune are simply coming to know this God in that particular form in their specific time, and that the in-universe Neptune is actually much older, just as the origins of our mythic Poseidon are also much older, and is most likely a much more ancient God stemming from Indo-European traditions. Even Neptune being called Neptune is simply how the Romans came to know this older, already existing God. In the MU, the God we know as Neptune is already far older than the Ancient Greeks, as he was known and worshipped in pre-Cataclysm Atlantis, which came thousands of years, even tens of thousands of years before the birth of the culture than became the Ancient Greeks. I do wish the Atlanteans called him by another name though, as their worship of this God is far older than that of the Greeks. At some point in Sub-Mariner books, Namor would explain to some surface person, that they may know his God by the name Poseidon or Neptune, but we Atlanteans know him as X---.

All that being said, I do absolutely love more primordial gods, and would kill for a Namor meets Pontus / Dr.Strange meets Eternity, type moment.

There's definitely ways to bring Suma-Ket back. But it won't be pretty, since his sacrifices are bloody and numerous.
    Hrrrm, are you saying you have some ideas/theories on this subject, or just in general? If so, I'd love to hear them.
    Last edited by Doombot; 03-17-2023 at 04:27 PM.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Loving all this ancient gods talk, and I REALLY want to see Namor meeting the living embodiment of the seas much like how he and the Defenders met up with Gaia. If only Marvel would let a writer expand the mythology of the Marvel Atlantis. There's so much to tap into, so much to expand on!

Well, the Atlantean worshipers and Namor probably tell Neptune that ALL Atlanteans worship him, but we know, there are plenty of gods in the sea. ;p I wonder ... if for the Atlanteans, it isn't like the Kami in Japan? Where you have little gods, or spirits, for many natural things. Though, the Atlanteans probably actually see their sea Kami.

It is different than what Christians think of as far as religion. Like I've said before, faith isn't really necessary, because you KNOW Neptune exists, you've talked to him. Even better, it must be GREAT to know your god actually thinks you are special and will show up in person and save your butt. No wonder Namor's arrogant. His god has told him he IS the stuff. LOL!

I'm trying to remember if Namor has never not been respectful to Neptune. I think the only time might have been in that Avengers story, Assault on Olympus, and even then it wasn't disrespectful, but definitely disappointed. I'd have to read it again, it's been a while.

After that hilarious Pak and Van Lente story, Amazons vs Atlantis, I had played around with a story idea that Neptune decided to recover and relearn the mortal world, with Namor and Namora as his guides. It just moved into silly really fast, but boy Namor's patience and ... piety was tested. And it WAS a younger, very much the Greek Myths Neptune in his prime, which was problematic for Namora ... and sometimes Namor. LOL!

Have a good trip! We want pics if you see Namor by the seaside.
    Sadly no handsome sea kings came to visit. perhaps next time XD

omg a road trip with Namor and Neptune! Makes me think of American Gods even tho the show disappointed me but the premise was so good. Also I would LOVE to see Marvel expand and include more sea based mythology from around the world! I want to see Namor have to travel around the oceans visiting his people and interacting with different belief systems, I think it would be much more interesting since not even humans are a monolith so why should the undersea people be? Also can we get more mermaids and selkies and other sea mythology other than random monster like fish person? I love monster fish people designs but I would love to see the full range of sea mythology in Namor stories.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    I know, right?! Even Neptune himself wasn't too thrilled with what he had done (T_T)

You're welcome! I'm glad you noticed. No matter what decade or how much time has passed, the artistry from Jae Lee can never be surpassed (IMHO):

love this panel so very much!

Those are gorgeous vases! That would be cool! Reminds of the Mignola story, where Namor prayed to Neptune for help him save the animal, and Neptune changed that horse into a large seahorse, rather than a hippocamp.

Yes! It's an interesting connection. Even though people tried equating horses with the whitecaps to tie them to the ocean. And it's interesting ithat Poseidon created the horse in competition with Athena and lost to her creation of the olive tree, i.e. a creature of war, of nomads vs the symbol of peace, a staple of agriculture-- which may hint at that ancient origin.

Well, we did have that Fraction story in Defenders, which was going to somehow connect with is Kirby Engine plot, where Namor and the Atlanteans found the same seal hiding the Nerieds, the daughters of Pontus, so maybe Fraction was heading in that direction, before getting distracted with the Inhumans. But I agree. I'd LOVE some mythic stories involving the old sea gods or personifications. I've always thought Neptune was too 'young' of god for the Atlanteans, who are so much older than the Greek gods in the Marvel history.

There's definitely ways to bring Suma-Ket back. But it won't be pretty, since his sacrifices are bloody and numerous.
    LOVE that Mignola story!!! I adore it. Marvel Fanfare (1982) #16

also I remember the one time I did a Namor comic edit and used Neptune and his horses for inspiration, I just love mythology so much.

Also I don't know if anyone here has seen the show Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norell but this video of Horse Sand magic is so cool and always reminded me of the Neptune + Horses mythology connection. link

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I do understand what you're saying, but personally I don't feel Neptune or any of the Greek/Roman Gods are too young, I feel the peoples and traditions that came to worship Poseidon/Neptune are simply coming to know this God in that particular form in their specific time, and that the in-universe Neptune is actually much older, just as the origins of our mythic Poseidon are also much older, and is most likely a much more ancient God stemming from Indo-European traditions. Even Neptune being called Neptune is simply how the Romans came to know this older, already existing God. In the MU, the God we know as Neptune is already far older than the Ancient Greeks, as he was known and worshipped in pre-Cataclysm Atlantis, which came thousands of years, even tens of thousands of years before the birth of the culture than became the Ancient Greeks. I do wish the Atlanteans called him by another name though, as their worship of this God is far older than that of the Greeks. At some point in Sub-Mariner books, Namor would explain to some surface person, that they may know his God by the name Poseidon or Neptune, but we Atlanteans know him as X---.

All that being said, I do absolutely love more primordial gods, and would kill for a Namor meets Pontus / Dr.Strange meets Eternity, type moment.

Hrrrm, are you saying you have some ideas/theories on this subject, or just in general? If so, I'd love to hear them.
    I haven't actually thought about it or played with any stories. But off the top of my head, the most obvious would be the same way Artys Gran did, by possessing someone. Which could be ... scary. But I wonder if Suma Ket has the patience that of Artys Gran or the ability to humble himself.

I would totally love it. And there could be some interesting ramifications of coming face to face with such an entity. Though ... I wonder how it would be given the state of the oceans today?

Hmmm. That's interesting ... not something I had considered.. It goes to the question of whether gods change or are altered by the worshipers? While I agree that makes sense, I don't think the MU thinks of the the Greek Pantheon as older, though. I mean, they have pantheons for each culture. I do agree, that the Atlanteans have a different name for Neptune -- I actually prefer Poseidon to Neptune. I mean, when we see the Atlanteans talking, it's not in English, but Atlantean.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Loving all this ancient gods talk, and I REALLY want to see Namor meeting the living embodiment of the seas much like how he and the Defenders met up with Gaia. If only Marvel would let a writer expand the mythology of the Marvel Atlantis. There's so much to tap into, so much to expand on!
    It would be awesome! Just think of the visuals of what the primordial ocean god would be? Ever moving, ever changing, ever terrible -- and all the creatures of the ocean! But again, would require actually having a book for the creators to explore those stories.

Sadly no handsome sea kings came to visit. perhaps next time XD

omg a road trip with Namor and Neptune! Makes me think of American Gods even tho the show disappointed me but the premise was so good. Also I would LOVE to see Marvel expand and include more sea based mythology from around the world! I want to see Namor have to travel around the oceans visiting his people and interacting with different belief systems, I think it would be much more interesting since not even humans are a monolith so why should the undersea people be? Also can we get more mermaids and selkies and other sea mythology other than random monster like fish person? I love monster fish people designs but I would love to see the full range of sea mythology in Namor stories.
    Far more silly than American Gods, but it was alot of fun, IIRC. It may be on my old old computer, which I did get the hard drive working. I'll see if I can find it.

LOL! GMTA. I also had started a story where Namor was dealing with the Japanese sea gods that tied back into the Invaders. But it went silly too. Which is weird, because I love reading a good epic or dark story, much more than a silly one.

LOVE that Mignola story!!! I adore it. Marvel Fanfare (1982) #16

also I remember the one time I did a Namor comic edit and used Neptune and his horses for inspiration, I just love mythology so much.

Also I don't know if anyone here has seen the show Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norell but this video of Horse Sand magic is so cool and always reminded me of the Neptune + Horses mythology connection. link
    I read the book when it came out, so of course, I was thrilled they made it a miniseries. It didn't quite live up to the book, but I enjoyed it. That was a great scene! And I love that edit! I really need to hunt down some comics by Nick Robles.

And yes! That's the comic I was talking about. Mignola's Namor stories are great, classic evergreen stories.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

It would be awesome! Just think of the visuals of what the primordial ocean god would be? Ever moving, ever changing, ever terrible -- and all the creatures of the ocean! But again, would require actually having a book for the creators to explore those stories.

Far more silly than American Gods, but it was alot of fun, IIRC. It may be on my old old computer, which I did get the hard drive working. I'll see if I can find it.

LOL! GMTA. I also had started a story where Namor was dealing with the Japanese sea gods that tied back into the Invaders. But it went silly too. Which is weird, because I love reading a good epic or dark story, much more than a silly one.

I read the book when it came out, so of course, I was thrilled they made it a miniseries. It didn't quite live up to the book, but I enjoyed it. That was a great scene! And I love that edit! I really need to hunt down some comics by Nick Robles.

And yes! That's the comic I was talking about. Mignola's Namor stories are great, classic evergreen stories.
    It would be really cool to see the ocean primordial form or the forms it takes etc. there's always such great ideas in Namor fandom. And I'm glad you got your computer working again! I know the Namor, Hercules, and Poseidon/Neptune comic you are talking about, its from Pak's love and war arc, a fave of mine. I think if they had expanded on that it would have been so fun. Hercules and Namor teaming up to take Poseidon/Neptune back home or something.

Fun stories are always good but I would rather have some high drama action going on, with moments of humor, instead.

It would be really cool to see the ocean primordial form or the forms it takes etc. there's always such great ideas in Namor fandom. And I'm glad you got your computer working again! I know the Namor, Hercules, and Poseidon/Neptune comic you are talking about, its from Pak's love and war arc, a fave of mine. I think if they had expanded on that it would have been so fun. Hercules and Namor teaming up to take Poseidon/Neptune back home or something.

Fun stories are always good but I would rather have some high drama action going on, with moments of humor, instead.
    That's me too. But sometimes, okay, lots of times, I descend into silly.

Yes, that whole Herc run by Pak and Van Lente was pure gold.

Well, I'm still working on the old hard drive. But I had an even older dead laptop, and I got that one working. Can't believe all the stuff on it, that I haven't seen for years.

Alex Livinalli, the actor who played Attuma, posted this cool behind the scenes of Wakanda Forever video.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cp1K9..._web_copy_link

This is new merch from Thailand, I think. Haven't seen these available in the US, though. Will have to keep checking on eBay.

https://www.toylaxy.com/th/product/9...gory_id=109379

Indeed. Couldn't agree more, Reviresco! Truly timeless (IMHO):

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Indeed. Couldn't agree more, Reviresco! Truly timeless (IMHO):
    Mignola is the master! And of course, his Namor is wonderful. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but he had a third Namor story that he reworked into a Hellboy story. He's great at doing the pulp dark fantasy horror that would make a cool Namor mini-series.

Namor fans and Tenoch appear to be having a great time at La Mole, the Mexico SF / Comic con this weekend. Some of his sessions have sold out.

And look! They have this cool "photo booth."

^^^LOL that pretty awesome!

Mignola is the master! And of course, his Namor is wonderful. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but he had a third Namor story that he reworked into a Hellboy story. He's great at doing the pulp dark fantasy horror that would make a cool Namor mini-series.
    I know, right?! "Time After Time" is definitely proof of that (IMHO):