Page 51 of 77 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Tbh it's more for scientific curiosity and me trying to calculate how many hours/days it would take Namor to move across long distances if he didn't have a water route. I try not to pay attention to those "who is better" online fights because often times its just about popularity. I am strictly speaking of characters who move under their own power and not by a enhanced or magical object like Thor's Hammer or Silver Surfer's surfboard.

They say Northstar's top speed is: "99% of the speed of light (186, 272 miles per second in a vacuum)" but he doesn't go more than 60 miles an hour if he is carrying someone. So that's from the Marvel Wiki.
    I don't think Namor can fly or swim for days. Remember the issue where went to Lemuria and hitched a ride with a Manta Ray, because swimming to the Pacific was going to take too long. It would be worse on the surface.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Nope. Sorry K, I'm going to have to disagree with you there. That green outfit is too busy and Christmasy for me.
    No hard feelings, I understand. Fortunately, my next two faves are the Ionic-Form & the "fanfic" version

Last edited by K7P5V; 03-27-2023 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Namor & Wasp team up in Avengers Unlimited #39 by Eve Ewing & Luciano Vecchio

I really hate that I found this randomly on twitter instead of it being in like the official marvel solicits.

Um, I'm not sure what to say about that Namor..

So, going back to Attuma... LOL

Rereading the 2 issue Indestructible Hulk Attuma arc, which is really good btw, it again states, or at least Attuma does, that he himself IS Atlantean. He was born there, not as a nomad barbarian, and was somehow exiled later on. His claim is that there is an Atlantean prophesy of a powerful leader destined to rule, and he was exiled in an attempt to deny his rightful claim on this legend. The other candidate of course, being Namor. I may be misremembering, but I had always though he made a claim similar to this, but from an outside source, like a heretical claim from non recognized religious scripts and the Atlanteans denied legitimacy of his evidence. I wonder if it isn't more interesting that Attuma is laying claim on a legit Atlantean prophesy, and simply being overruled by the elites of Atlantis, rather than on a non recognized prophesy from a counter source? It is more dramatic that he is someone who feels his true legitimate rights to the throne are being denied, or as a heretic, with counter-evidence and alternate history than what the elites accept? Or is it better still that he is just a conquering warlord and the only "rights" he needs are violence and the strength of his will?

The most interesting aspect of the story to me, is that Attuma has conquered all of Lemuria (for an undetermined amount of time, but long enough to have giant statues of himself erected) yet he cares nothing for Lemuria. He only wishes to use Lemurian knowledge of alchemy. It's noted in the story that Lemuria is one of the largest repositories of magical artifacts on Earth, and Attuma has almost no interest in this. He uses Lemurian sorcery, monsters and well as it's armies as essentially a front, in order to get access to Lemurian alchemists and their knowledge. And what for you may ask? You know it, WEAPONS. Attuma absolutely LOVES new weapons, which ties back into the early appearances of the character and his seemingly endless arsenal of wild scf-fi weaponry. Attuma and the Lemurian alchemists have discovered a version of an ancient solvent of all things, that can dissolve or 'eat" through anything it comes in contact with. He wants to use this weapon to destroy all life on the surface as a tribute to Atlantis. This seems preeeetty extreme for Attuma imo, but everything else about this story was great and really interesting. I do wonder how Vibranium or Adamantium (or Nautilium lol) would fare against this "Universal Solvent"?

This is so cool. I love all the murals being made. This one is neat because it was painted on a school and I think was the kids' choice?

Namor & Wasp team up in Avengers Unlimited #39 by Eve Ewing & Luciano Vecchio

I really hate that I found this randomly on twitter instead of it being in like the official marvel solicits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Um, I'm not sure what to say about that Namor..
    It mirrors my expression. Open mouth astonishment.

And you can see the MCU creeping in with his jewelry.

It's another one of those Infinity comics, i.e. only a webcomic on Marvel Unlimited, so it won't be on the solicits. There's an article on Marvel.com with some panels.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...nity-comic-arc

Of course, these panels show they really don't get Namor. Like he'd be more concerned about an 'insult' to the Avengers, instead of CLIMATE CHANGE affecting MARINE mammals. SMH. He'd definitely agree with this scientist. Sadly, this is the writer of the new Black Panther. Let's home she won't be dragging this version of Namor into that book.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    So, going back to Attuma... LOL

Rereading the 2 issue Indestructible Hulk Attuma arc, which is really good btw, it again states, or at least Attuma does, that he himself IS Atlantean. He was born there, not as a nomad barbarian, and was somehow exiled later on. His claim is that there is an Atlantean prophesy of a powerful leader destined to rule, and he was exiled in an attempt to deny his rightful claim on this legend. The other candidate of course, being Namor. I may be misremembering, but I had always though he made a claim similar to this, but from an outside source, like a heretical claim from non recognized religious scripts and the Atlanteans denied legitimacy of his evidence. I wonder if it isn't more interesting that Attuma is laying claim on a legit Atlantean prophesy, and simply being overruled by the elites of Atlantis, rather than on a non recognized prophesy from a counter source? It is more dramatic that he is someone who feels his true legitimate rights to the throne are being denied, or as a heretic, with counter-evidence and alternate history than what the elites accept? Or is it better still that he is just a conquering warlord and the only "rights" he needs are violence and the strength of his will?

The most interesting aspect of the story to me, is that Attuma has conquered all of Lemuria (for an undetermined amount of time, but long enough to have giant statues of himself erected) yet he cares nothing for Lemuria. He only wishes to use Lemurian knowledge of alchemy. It's noted in the story that Lemuria is one of the largest repositories of magical artifacts on Earth, and Attuma has almost no interest in this. He uses Lemurian sorcery, monsters and well as it's armies as essentially a front, in order to get access to Lemurian alchemists and their knowledge. And what for you may ask? You know it, WEAPONS. Attuma absolutely LOVES new weapons, which ties back into the early appearances of the character and his seemingly endless arsenal of wild scf-fi weaponry. Attuma and the Lemurian alchemists have discovered a version of an ancient solvent of all things, that can dissolve or 'eat" through anything it comes in contact with. He wants to use this weapon to destroy all life on the surface as a tribute to Atlantis. This seems preeeetty extreme for Attuma imo, but everything else about this story was great and really interesting. I do wonder how Vibranium or Adamantium (or Nautilium lol) would fare against this "Universal Solvent"?

Another 'origin' for Attuma!

I remember this being a solid story, but of course it would be, with Waid on words and Lenil Yu on the art. Once again, I'm amazed at how much world building a good writer can give us in a few panels.

The prophesy is definitely reoccurring, but I think the source varies. I think, more times than not, he's born a barbarian, and honestly, that's how I prefer him. I really like the born on a battlefield bit.

I love that "jet bike" Attuma is riding.

I find it interesting that Lemuria is considered second rate, though that may only be Attuma's opinion. They were colonized by Atlanteans, though, so that may be part of it. Not that I imagine Naga sitting still for that sort of attitude. I think that would be largest repositories of DARK magical artifacts. I think Atlantis has plenty of magical artifacts.

I'm intrigued by the fortress. Did he cover Lemuria with a dome?

I like how Attuma's plan includes killing the most fertile area of the oceans, also, the first mile, where most of the life resides. Not sure he's thinking that through. Well, universal means everything, so yes, all those metals would go, I imagine. It's kind of interesting, because I was thinking that Namor should have his scientists develop a plastic eating bacteria, and turn it loose in the oceans... and of course, it would make it's way to the surface world. I can hear the screaming already.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Meet Wyn, a mysterious player in a war that exists outside of the orders we know and a vital member of an eons-old hierarchy that includes the omnipotent rulers of the universe such as Eternity, Infinity, and the Living Tribunal. After a fateful meeting with Doctor Strange, Wyn hints at something even bigger than the forces of good and evil, where the very building blocks of creation scheme and clash. It’s the beginning of a breathtaking epic at the crossroads of science and magic, one that will shatter our understanding and open our eyes to ideas beyond all that we perceive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post

Are we taking bets that Atlantis, repository of ancient magics and advanced sciences, gets completely ignored in this? Or do we all just know better?

That's great Attuma Lore and tbh I like the art style for him.

This is so cool. I love all the murals being made. This one is neat because it was painted on a school and I think was the kids' choice?

It mirrors my expression. Open mouth astonishment.

And you can see the MCU creeping in with his jewelry.

It's another one of those Infinity comics, i.e. only a webcomic on Marvel Unlimited, so it won't be on the solicits. There's an article on Marvel.com with some panels.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...nity-comic-arc

Of course, these panels show they really don't get Namor. Like he'd be more concerned about an 'insult' to the Avengers, instead of CLIMATE CHANGE affecting MARINE mammals. SMH. He'd definitely agree with this scientist. Sadly, this is the writer of the new Black Panther. Let's home she won't be dragging this version of Namor into that book.
    I'm literally in pain, I can't believe this, how how can so many writers be so wrong about him??? I know they don't go back and read older comics but like "namor hates humans because they hurt the oceans" is one of his major characterizations, how would he not side with the scientist. I'm gonna be so angry about this.

Are we taking bets that Atlantis, repository of ancient magics and advanced sciences, gets completely ignored in this? Or do we all just know better?
    I mean they didn't even have 1 magical atlantean kid in strange academy, so yeah I'm pretty sure Atlantis will once again be ignored. Not sure if that's good or bad right now but seeing as how others snatch up all of Namor's magical stuff like the serpent crown, etc. then maybe its for the best.

That's great Attuma Lore and tbh I like the art style for him.

I'm literally in pain, I can't believe this, how how can so many writers be so wrong about him??? I know they don't go back and read older comics but like "namor hates humans because they hurt the oceans" is one of his major characterizations, how would he not side with the scientist. I'm gonna be so angry about this.

I mean they didn't even have 1 magical atlantean kid in strange academy, so yeah I'm pretty sure Atlantis will once again be ignored. Not sure if that's good or bad right now but seeing as how others snatch up all of Namor's magical stuff like the serpent crown, etc. then maybe its for the best.
    Figures. Of course, given Crosta and Nara, it's probably not something high on the Atlantean things to do. But you'd think they would have gotten the Logomancer there for a class or two.

I know?! How could a writer or editor miss something so integral the character? I mean, like Namor constantly complaining about the crap the surface dwellers are doing to his ocean. Bryne's run was based off him being a corporate eco warrior. I mean, WTF?!?! And didn't he take the Avengers to task for not giving any f##ks about dropping that Celestial on Atlanteans? He doesn't even want to be an Avenger. And lets just ignore how Namor doesn't even know what's going on there with that Ember Wave, that he needs an airbreather to explain it to him. It makes zero sense.

Is it just to make Wasp look good?

Figures. Of course, given Crosta and Nara, it's probably not something high on the Atlantean things to do. But you'd think they would have gotten the Logomancer there for a class or two.

I know?! How could a writer or editor miss something so integral the character? I mean, like Namor constantly complaining about the crap the surface dwellers are doing to his ocean. Bryne's run was based off him being a corporate eco warrior. I mean, WTF?!?! And didn't he take the Avengers to task for not giving any f##ks about dropping that Celestial on Atlanteans? He doesn't even want to be an Avenger. And lets just ignore how Namor doesn't even know what's going on there with that Ember Wave, that he needs an airbreather to explain it to him. It makes zero sense.

Is it just to make Wasp look good?
    I made a comment on twitter but I'm gonna repeat here:

This is what I mean when I say writers use Namor as the "voice of opposition" and sometimes its ooc.

Basically all anyone out in General Fandom knows is Namor is a Jerk. So they just have him be a Jerk all the time without caring about why he is the way he is. Every other damn line out of Namor's mouth when it comes to the surface world is how much they hurt the oceans, this makes zero sense and sets up Namor to be the "guy who is a jerk" and Janet as the reasonable one. Namor can be reasonable, he has motivations outside of defending the Avengers honor, oh my god he doesn't even LIKE the Avengers, he only liked a few members. I don't even want to read the comic because I'm too mad right now, but knowing me I will be checking it out later just to see what happens.

I made a comment on twitter but I'm gonna repeat here:

This is what I mean when I say writers use Namor as the "voice of opposition" and sometimes its ooc.

Basically all anyone out in General Fandom knows is Namor is a Jerk. So they just have him be a Jerk all the time without caring about why he is the way he is. Every other damn line out of Namor's mouth when it comes to the surface world is how much they hurt the oceans, this makes zero sense and sets up Namor to be the "guy who is a jerk" and Janet as the reasonable one. Namor can be reasonable, he has motivations outside of defending the Avengers honor, oh my god he doesn't even LIKE the Avengers, he only liked a few members. I don't even want to read the comic because I'm too mad right now, but knowing me I will be checking it out later just to see what happens.
    Often he's the voice of reason, but others just see it as opposition. But this is just stupid. I mean, as far as Namor is concerned, the scientist is entirely right. After all, it isn't like the Atlanteans aren't f**king MARINE MAMMALS!!!! So, yeah, Namor WOULD think that the Avengers and all the other superheroes of earth should be fixing climate change. ASAP.

So, looking for some info, I stumbled on a couple sites claiming Attuma was a mutant. I really don't remember seeing this stated in any comic. Have you seen it in your reading, Doombot?

I do wonder about the origin of his obvious superhuman powers, but I'm not sure how I feel about him being a mutant.

I haven't read everything yet, but from what I have gone through, I see no reference to him being a mutant. There are times he's noted as being born with great power, more than his fellow Atlanteans, like in the Indestructible Hulk. I'd really rather him not be a mutant, but there isn't a lot of alternative theories. By all accounts he seems to have been born with at least superhuman strength. Unless it's from him and/or his mother being exposed to some outside source or toxins or radiation, what else could it be? Are their any other examples of anyone being born in the MU with that level of power that isn't a mutant?